Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Front yard pics

statenislandpalm7a
11 years ago

Before

after

This musa basjoo was overwintered indoors so Im hoping It will flower this year. It made 6 leaves since I planted it and is working on its 7th. The first leave was burned by the sun and the second was broken from some strong wind we had, but it is recovering nicely

huge elephant ear leaf with shovel for scale

trachy

waggie

trachy

other trachy

knockout roses

double hibiscus planters

double flower

regular flower

second canna flower of the season

yucca alofolia

begonia

row of tropicals with bamboo in back

sabal minor and sabal louisiana

cycad flush

I planted some corn IN A GROUP so it will look like an ornamental grass

pindo palm

When I get a chance I will take pictures of my backyard and the bamboo. I also have some palm pics from the botanical garden

Comments (18)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

You might want to try planting some of the variegated Japanese popcorn next year (well, actually, you could still plant this year for the foliage). Zea mays japonica has foliage striped with pink and cream and can be very decorative. It also makes small ears of popcorn that doesn't actually pop all that well.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I really want to try Zea mays japonica next year or if i find some seeds for sale locally.

• chachacharlie
    11 years ago

Nicely done! Everything looks so lush and healthy! I like it that every little space is filled with a plant, makes it much more lush and full of texture. Good job!

• chadec
    11 years ago

Really nice job making the space full and tropical looking. How are you and the neighbors getting along?

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! You have gotten a ton of growth from your plants already! I cant believe you already got canna blooms! Mine came back this year but they are far from blooming, maybe this time next month.
    The Hibiscus planter looks really nice! It looks really lush with the plants underneath it. The Dioon's look good too! Hope the corn produces for you. I was in PA recently and it looks like your corn is about the same height as the ones in the corn fields there. And yours will definitely pass as ornamental grass the way you are growing them.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Chadec Everything is fine and when all the tropicals get big I wont even have to see them.

Thanks Alex. Some of the cannas in thepic that says "row of tropicals" survived the winter but any of them that are already blooming overwintered indoors. I saw a similarly designed hibiscus planter in Container gardening magazine. (I attached a link). Im not to concerned about getting corn I just want some tall grass. Also if you vstill want to trade I have some plants ready.

-Dennis

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot the link here it is

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mastiffhoo
    11 years ago

Looking good! I always like to see others creativity to help give me some ideas! Very, very nice!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looks great-I love the Waggie!

Click for weather forecast

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I see you haven't poisoned your neighbor's arbor vitae hedge. Yet.

Nice job in the garden.

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Impressive. Like the use of corn. I have always thought it it a pretty cool looking plant.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Nice yard! :) That banana will get huge by the end of this year!

- US_Marine

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. The bannana leaf you see in the pics opened today. Is amazing that the leaf gre in only 2 days. I didnt poison the hedges because that would only make my neigbors poison my plants. I do have some round up just in case though LOL.
    I picked up a spindle palm and an orleander. I need some suggestions should i plant the orleander in the ground or in a pot on the deck. If it were to go in the ground it would go in the back of the bed with the bannana bed. It is currently taller than the cannas but not for long. I pretty sure it would survive because alex's survived this winter and I saw several that survived the winter unprotected outside a school.The only thing is that everything in that bed gets dug up before winter except the giant reed and dusty miller. I have room for it on the deck form it. Do orleanders tollerate root pruning and also do they flower better if pot pound or with lots of space.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Everything looks great already, I'm sure your neighbor with the arborvitaes loves it!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They dont like it and cut every single leaf once it goes over the property line.

Does anyone have advice for what to do with my new orleander

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Idiots!

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

How fast does your Musas grow? i got 2 tiny ones off ebay, and they have only sprouted 2 of 3 leaves and are still under a foot tall? and what do you do with the palms and other plants in the winter?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I planted that banana last year. It was about 3 feet tall with little roots and no leaves. It grew to about 6 beet last year. i cut off all the leaves and kept it potted in the garage. These are cold hardy but they get bigger if overwintered indoors. All of my inground palms are covered with a plastic container with Christmas lights inside. The lights get turned on when the temp is below 20 degrees. I save about half of allmy cannas and elephant ears. I dig them up and store them in the garage. I dont clean off the soil and add dry peatmoss to them so the bulbs dont dry up. All the cactus are unprotected but I save one pad of each potted inside just in case.