Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meezerpants

Sick Sago Palm

MeezerPants
11 years ago

I've had my sago palm now for about 6 months & it's slowly dying! I've tried everything to revive it including less water, more water and even plant food nutrients, but nothing's worked! The leaves keep turning a pale yellow, more of them turn yellow each day. I've checked the roots and they look healthy, the bulb seems to be intact too. What should I do? Should I cut the yellow parts off? In the meantime I put it outside, maybe it wants more sun! I have a picture, just not sure how to post it! Thanks!

Comments (5)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Cut the yellowing leaves off, leave it in full sun, and water it a couple times a week. It will probably push out a new flush of leaves within a month or 2.

• MeezerPants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have it in a plastic plantar, do u think it would thrive better in a ceramic one? Or would that not make a difference. It's also hard to know what size to use because the bulb is so small but the leaves are so large. The one it's in is 8 in. I only filled the pot up 1/2 way w/ soil to not cover the bulb, should I fill it all the way up and just plant the bulb higher up? I also put river stones in top to hold in moisture and keep out bugs but will they suffocate the plant?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I assume it's Cycas revoluta that you have. Cycads often go through a cycle where they shed old leaves then later produce a flush of new ones. The old ones can take quite a while to fall off but the new ones come on real quick. If the roots and all are still looking healthy then I'd say that's what's happening to yours. They like a lot of direct sun. Not too much water, just make sure drainage is good.

• MeezerPants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So don't cut the yellow leaves off? If I do it will be bald!

• MeezerPants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I took off the dead leaves I just pulled them right off but the plant looks so bare! The soil was really wet so I'm gonna leave it outside and let it dry out, hopefully some new leaves will grow back. Nothing's grown on it since I've had it! Pray for my sago!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor