Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_m_gw

Favorite palms?

Hunter_M
12 years ago

Yes, I know this is a random question but Im just wondering what everybody's favorite palms are. Mine are the coconut and the foxtail palms.

Comments (67)

• User
    11 years ago

Mike, do you have any foxtails? They are kinda easy as indoor palms. I like them too--got three (divided a triple planting a few years ago). Actually, all pushing good growth now--two above ground and one in the basement under lights.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I wish I did my wife dosent really care for house plants, especially big house plants so I can really only have them in the "Man Cave". I have space but I'm being very picky about what I put in here. I do want to get one though there wonderful palms.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I guess I just like palms. The list of palms I don't like is very much smaller than of those that I like. And since I don't like playing favourites with them, that makes my list rather large. But a quick general run down on some of the more outstanding ones (in my view) would be most Licuala, Johannesteijsmannia, Calyptrocalyx, Iguanura, Ptychosperma, Cyrtostachys, plus about a few hundred more. What can I say? I'm a Palm Tragic!

• InsanePalmNinja
    11 years ago

My are:
    1. Trachycarpus's Palms - only real trunking one I can grow in the ground here and will survive snow, ice, and subarctic cold. - lost Count

2. Sabal Palm Trees from the Dwarf Palmetto to the trunking... really are my most favorite Palms. - Lost Count

3. Chamaerops humilis all Forms - 1
    4. Chinese Fan Palms
    5. Butia Family(and Mute Palm)3 Pindo and one Mute palm (Plan to get more.)
    6. Washingtonia Palms Trees
    7. Phoenix Palm Trees
    8. of Coruse the Needle Palms I have two of them now.
    9. Chilean Wine Palm - None right now

I think Ever Palm is different but I love the ones that are Very Cold Harder and can hanild down to 5 degrees.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Wow... hard to chose 10 favorites, as there are thousands of great palms... but the following are the 10 best that I have photos of... Pseudophoenix ekmannii and Coccothrinax azul are on my list, but I have never seen either one in person. First on my list has to be one of the most colorful palms in the world.. Areca vestiaria... hard to imagine a more colorful palm than this... even Cyrtostachys renda pales in coloration (yes it has a nice crowns haft, but the rest of the palm is simply green).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

even its fruits are brilliantly colored

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and some think the red form is even nicer

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and it has stilt roots to boot! Here is Marcus next to yet even another color form (too bright to get a good shot, but a nice yellow colored crowns haft).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here are some planted at the mall in Hilo

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

even as seedlings they are beautiful

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

OK, that's one species I think is in my top 10.... another is Mauritiella armata, a nice blue palm of the tropics (sadly, neither of these species grow here in California)...

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

has nice looking roots, too

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and a fascinating stem

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

nice contrast of leaves top and bottom (reminds me of Guaihia)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

another favorite of mine (again, can't grow here) is Arenga undulatifolia... nice plant!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

great leaves!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

another one of my favorites is a pretty rare one, but with nice coloration (am a sucker for colorful palms)... Wettinia hirsuta

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

nice leaf shape for sure... but crowns haft color is unique, too

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

next one is a common one and one that thankfully grows great where I live now... Bismarckia... common but still majestic and amazing! This is the bluest one I have ever seen, but all color forms are nice (this one is in Thailand)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

nice white form in Hawaii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

green forms do poorly here, but actually grow best of all the colors in the tropics

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

as they get really tall, they get a bit less interesting, but still impressive (this one in Singapore)

• cliff98
    11 years ago

So many to choose from, but here's a few.

Lemurophoenix halleuxii
    Dictyocaryum lamarckianum
    Dypsis pilulifera
    Dypsis marojejyi
    Dypsis leptocheilos
    Calyptrocalyx pachystachys
    Chambeyronia macrocarpa
    Licuala 'mapu'
    Clinostigma samoense

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Mirror mirror on the wall, which is the most beautiful palm of them all?

It would have to be Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, top of my wish list.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    11 years ago

My Windmill Palm growing in the ground just outside of Toronto lol.

I'd like to grow some more tropical varieties in pots though.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

that joey palm is just beautiful but I don't even try them I know I can never get it to that size around here. Is that at a botanical garden or somthing?

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    11 years ago

Oops, here is the actual picture lol.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

cliff98, I had not finished my list yet, yet you already listed 4-5 of the species I was going to add to it...
    Dypsis marojejya was definitely on my list

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and though Licuala mapu is definitely on my list, this rare plant is a tad higher... Licuala orbiculata variegated

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

but Dictyocaryum lamarkium has been on my list since the first time I saw the crownshaft in person

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

closely related to Dictyocaryum, at least in terms of looks, is Socratea, another favorite of mine (and of course another one that won't grow here).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

i love the stilted roots of this palm, too

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

you'd think on those wimpy stilt roots the plant would not get too tall, but they grow nearly 100' tall! Here is a relatively short one in Hawaii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

last palm on my list is a small one with a lot of color... Geonoma aepetiolata

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Geonoma epetiolata coloration variation

• miketropic
    11 years ago

some wild palms I have never seen in here..is there an encyclopedia of palms book or somthing I can look through all these. some beautiful species but alot I cannot grow and wont even grow in any part of the US except hawaii

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    11 years ago

I'd really like to get my hands on some of these more tropical palms and grow them from Containers.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

* Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 12:10

that joey palm is just beautiful but I don't even try them I know I can never get it to that size around here. Is that at a botanical garden or somthing?

Yes, that Joey magnifica is in the Flecker Botanic Gardens in Cairns.

I've got a couple of Arenga undulatifolia, but still in pots and getting too big. Wanted to wait until the heavy rains set in before planting out. They look really fantastic when they're large. They have a huge one in the driveway of my local nursery, you go under the massive canopy when you drive in.

Bismarckias are nice but need to be right out in the open. I prefer the silver ones.

I also have a couple of Licuala mattanensis Mapu. Never known why licuala orbicularis is so high priced, I prefer the mapu any day.

Would love to have Dictyocaryum lamarkium, but unfortunately not for my climate. It seems to do best outside the tropics (or in the very cool tropics).

Geonomas are another nice palm but not for my climate. They are a cool grower.

Socratea exorrhiza is another favourite of mine. I've got 2 that are still small but looking very good. They really enjoying the climate now, this one is putting out a few more roots.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

They might look weak but the roots are very strong. At the moment this one is on a single root, the one going down on the left, and no problems. But "reinforcements" are on their way.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

There isnt much I wouldnt do to have your climate tropicbreezent. some beautiful stuff from your way

• cliff98
    11 years ago

Miketropic - Pick up a copy of Genera Palmarum II from the International Palm Society. It is expensive at $150, but probably the best compendium on palms available. If you are an IPS member, you get a 20% discount bringing the cost down to $120. Well worth the cost for just the pictures.

Lzddr - That orbicularis variegata is spectacular. Had I known one existed it probably would have bumped Mapu off my list.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Hunter!!!

Great thread!!!

All i want to know is...

Can i come and live where you are lzrdder?

Where are you located in HI or CA?

I just love everything and the colors... sigh!!!

My Pindo is (believe it or not..) is pushing flower shoots... I don]t believe it an i think it is quite confused..

I willl post pics tomorrow for you all to see.

I have always been impressed by Lz post, but this time it knocked mE off my seat!!!

BRAVO!!!

lAURA

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

The Mule Palm. Cold hardy, Heat tolerant, drought tolerant. Does not put off pollen or set seeds no mess no allergies.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I WANT to live in Hawaii... but am stranded in southern California for now... I really would live to live in northeastern Australia... can hardly beat that climate for most tropical palms.

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

I know this is a rather old thread, but I ran across it online and I just had to join in, Here are mine;

Orange Crownshaft Palm/Areca Vestaria. This is hands down my favorite. The orange one. The maroon form is pretty, but I love orange.
    King Palm/Archontophoenix. They are all beautiful, but my very favorite is Pupurea. I also love purple.
    Date Palm/Phoenix Dactylifera. Pretty and delicous! Too bad they don't really fruit here in South Florida :(
    Pygmy Date Palm/Phoenix Roebelinii
    Cat Palm/Chamaedorea Cataractarum. I like it because in addition to it's beautiful, graceful, iconic palmate fronds, it stays compact and bushy. And it's easy to find!
    Sabal Palmetto
    Saw Palmetto/Serenoa Repens. Another nice,bushy palm, I especially love the blue forms.
    Dwarf Palmetto/Sabal Minor
    Mediterranean Fan Palm/Chamaerops Humilis
    Jelly Palm/Butia Capitata
    Areca Palm/Dypsis Lutescens. I actually don't like how they look when they are trunked. I think they are far more attractive when they are clumped and bushy. Gorgeous fronds.
    Bismarck Palm/Bismarckia Noblis
    And, last but not least, the Coconut/Cocos Nucifera. The iconic, archetypal, symbol of the tropics. And delicious! And useful too!

• restoner
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) which had no damage after prolonged cold this past winter and one of them is actually blooming. Sabal minor 'McCurtain' is my second favorite, no damage but too young to flower.

Love all the tropical exuberance in the prior posts, though.

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm rather fond of Washingtonias too.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    9 years ago

1-3) Coconut Palms - Cocos Nucifera ('Atlantic Tall', 'Golden Malayan Dwarf', 'Green Malayan Dwarf')
    4) Date Palm - Phoenix Dactylifera 'Medjool'
    5) Bismarck Palm - Bismarckia Nobilis (Blue)
    6) Pygmy Date Palm - Phoenix roebellenii
    7) Palmetto - Sabal Minor (Blue)
    8) European Fan Palm - Chaemerops humilis (Blue)
    9) Cretan Date Palm - Phoenix theophrastii

1. Needle Palm - Rhapidophyllum Hystrix

Restoner: Very nice! If it's reproducing, it is certainly adjusted to your climate!

• stlpalmlover
    9 years ago

Canary island dates
    Manila
    Majesty
    Queen
    Areca
    Foxtail
    Cuban royal
    Pygmy date
    Spindle/bottle
    King
    Any ideas on why my foxtail won't push out it's frond it's got the spear but it doesn't seem to grow I got it in October it's been repotted and it's in full sun now that it's been warm

• fl west coast zone 10a
    9 years ago

My favorites are

Archontophoenix Maxima- Grows very fast here and is rare
    Coconut
    Fiji Fan (Pritchardia)
    Copernicea Baileyana
    Arecas (they look great kept to only a few trunks)
    All kinds of Coccothrinax and Thrinax palms