Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite palms?

Posted by Hunter_M Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 18:35

Yes, I know this is a random question but Im just wondering what everybody's favorite palms are. Mine are the coconut and the foxtail palms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite palms?

You are going to have to be more specific with this question. Do you mean favorite palm as a containerized "houseplant" or outside and in the ground? But if I had to select two I say:

Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palm)--only real trunking one I can grow in the ground here and will survive snow, ice, and subarctic cold.

and

Roystonia regia or etonia (Royal Cuban and Florida palms)--if you've ever driven down a boulevard lined with these regal gems, you'd understand why.

o

I love the look of a beautifully trunked pindo or sabal palmetto.

o

@ njoasis: Yes, any palm outdoor or indoor.

o

My favorite palm is a majesty palm. Although they are very cheap and common it's hard to find one that isn't stetted out or yellowing.. A healthy trunked one with dark green foliage look very tropopical. My favorite palm that I can reliably grow in the ground is a windmill palm.

o

• Posted by butiaman 8a Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 21:11

Outdoor palms I can grow.
1.Phoenix sylvestris
2.Butia yatay
3.Chamaerops humilis cerifera
4.Sabal Birmingham
5.Trachycarpus fortunei x wagnerianus
6.Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Indoor.
1.Chamaedorea elegans(stays small)
2.Cycas Revoluta
2.Nolina recurvata
I know the last two are not really palms,but they make good house plants.
Randy

o

Has to be windmills since they are very hardy here on the Delaware coast without winter protection. Biggest local specimens are toppings 15 feet tall, flower and produce viable seeds. Naturalizing seedlings are often seen under parent trees. Hard not to love that.

I am also partial to sabal palmetto and hoping to see them growing in my area some day soon.

o

1. Washingtonia Robusta
2. Sabal Palmetto
3. Trachycarpus Nainital
4. Phoenix Canariensis
5. Cocos Nucifera
6. Ravenea ......?
7. Beccariophoenix Alfredii
8. Butia Capitata

I know I'm forgetting some, I also tend to like the subtropical palms more than the tropical ones.

o

I love Sabal palmettos, Coconut palms, Royal palms, Bottle palms, Christmas palms, Betel nut palms, kentias, fishtails, Licuala, and Pritchardia. My favorite palms for pots indoors are fishtail palms, parlor palms, lady palms, kentia palms, and spindle palms. All do well indoors, but of course do prefer outdoors.
-Alex

o

I'd say my favorite is my pacific tall coconut. It's getting pretty big and is such a challenge to grow up here potted. I've had coconuts before that died but I think I have learned from my mistakes. I am most proud of my two bottle palms because I started them from seed. They both have about 6 fronds and are about a foot and a half tall now.

o

Coconut, Royal, Fiji Fan, Silver Thatch...plenty of worthy candidates.

o

You've got to add Spindle palms and Queen Palms to the favorites list. They always remind me of coconut palms--very tropical but MUCH easier!--both.

o

Bizzys

Any Licuala!

Here is a link that might be useful: Licuala

o
Another

Heres another one

Here is a link that might be useful: Licuala

o

1.Verschaffeltia splendida
2.Bentinckia nicobarica
3.Copernicia baileyana
4.Pritchardia forbesiana
5.Pritchardia schattaueri
6.Cocos nucifera
7.Archontophoenix purpurea
8.Sabal palmetto-(lets all be proud of our country and grow native palms)
9.Butia capitata
10.Ravenea hildebrandtii
Thats my top 10. Oh i didnt know u could overwinter betel nut?! I heard that theyre needs are even more tropical than cocos. Well, now theres a reason for me to pick up some cocos malayan gold at bachmans next spring along with some trips to lowes and home depot to get the majesties. Could yall teach me how to overwinter a verschaffeltia in minnesota? Along with the other species i listed? All ive done are majesties, bromeliads and hardy bananas

o

My favorite of all palms of course is the coconut palm. What can I say its a beautiful palm and the challenge makes it worth trying to me.

But out of the ones I've seen over here outside its hard to say. I'd probably say the King palm.

- US_Marine

o

I would say bismark palm or foxtail, few others are runners up but one of those 2 there just so beautiful when there large.

o

Medemia argun
Hyphaene petersiana

Trachycarpus princeps, 'manipur', and other unusual trachycarpus.

Butia purpurascens
Brahea 'Super Silver'
Sabal palmetto 'lisa'
Chamaerops humilis 'vulcano'
Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera
Trithrinax campestris

...and many more I can't think of right now..

..oh, and Cocos nucifera :)

o

Mike, do you have any foxtails? They are kinda easy as indoor palms. I like them too--got three (divided a triple planting a few years ago). Actually, all pushing good growth now--two above ground and one in the basement under lights.

o

I wish I did my wife dosent really care for house plants, especially big house plants so I can really only have them in the "Man Cave". I have space but I'm being very picky about what I put in here. I do want to get one though there wonderful palms.

o

I guess I just like palms. The list of palms I don't like is very much smaller than of those that I like. And since I don't like playing favourites with them, that makes my list rather large. But a quick general run down on some of the more outstanding ones (in my view) would be most Licuala, Johannesteijsmannia, Calyptrocalyx, Iguanura, Ptychosperma, Cyrtostachys, plus about a few hundred more. What can I say? I'm a Palm Tragic!

o

My are:
1. Trachycarpus's Palms - only real trunking one I can grow in the ground here and will survive snow, ice, and subarctic cold. - lost Count

2. Sabal Palm Trees from the Dwarf Palmetto to the trunking... really are my most favorite Palms. - Lost Count

3. Chamaerops humilis all Forms - 1
4. Chinese Fan Palms
5. Butia Family(and Mute Palm)3 Pindo and one Mute palm (Plan to get more.)
6. Washingtonia Palms Trees
7. Phoenix Palm Trees
8. of Coruse the Needle Palms I have two of them now.
9. Chilean Wine Palm - None right now

I think Ever Palm is different but I love the ones that are Very Cold Harder and can hanild down to 5 degrees.

o

Wow... hard to chose 10 favorites, as there are thousands of great palms... but the following are the 10 best that I have photos of... Pseudophoenix ekmannii and Coccothrinax azul are on my list, but I have never seen either one in person. First on my list has to be one of the most colorful palms in the world.. Areca vestiaria... hard to imagine a more colorful palm than this... even Cyrtostachys renda pales in coloration (yes it has a nice crowns haft, but the rest of the palm is simply green).

o

even its fruits are brilliantly colored

o

and some think the red form is even nicer

o

and it has stilt roots to boot! Here is Marcus next to yet even another color form (too bright to get a good shot, but a nice yellow colored crowns haft).

o

here are some planted at the mall in Hilo

o

even as seedlings they are beautiful

o

OK, that's one species I think is in my top 10.... another is Mauritiella armata, a nice blue palm of the tropics (sadly, neither of these species grow here in California)...

o

has nice looking roots, too

o

and a fascinating stem

o

nice contrast of leaves top and bottom (reminds me of Guaihia)

o

another favorite of mine (again, can't grow here) is Arenga undulatifolia... nice plant!

o

great leaves!

o

another one of my favorites is a pretty rare one, but with nice coloration (am a sucker for colorful palms)... Wettinia hirsuta

o

nice leaf shape for sure... but crowns haft color is unique, too

o

next one is a common one and one that thankfully grows great where I live now... Bismarckia... common but still majestic and amazing! This is the bluest one I have ever seen, but all color forms are nice (this one is in Thailand)

o

nice white form in Hawaii

o

green forms do poorly here, but actually grow best of all the colors in the tropics

o

as they get really tall, they get a bit less interesting, but still impressive (this one in Singapore)

o

So many to choose from, but here's a few.

Lemurophoenix halleuxii
Dictyocaryum lamarckianum
Dypsis pilulifera
Dypsis marojejyi
Dypsis leptocheilos
Calyptrocalyx pachystachys
Chambeyronia macrocarpa
Licuala 'mapu'
Clinostigma samoense

o

Mirror mirror on the wall, which is the most beautiful palm of them all?

It would have to be Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, top of my wish list.

o

My Windmill Palm growing in the ground just outside of Toronto lol.

I'd like to grow some more tropical varieties in pots though.

o

that joey palm is just beautiful but I don't even try them I know I can never get it to that size around here. Is that at a botanical garden or somthing?

o

Oops, here is the actual picture lol.

o

cliff98, I had not finished my list yet, yet you already listed 4-5 of the species I was going to add to it...
Dypsis marojejya was definitely on my list

o

and though Licuala mapu is definitely on my list, this rare plant is a tad higher... Licuala orbiculata variegated

o

but Dictyocaryum lamarkium has been on my list since the first time I saw the crownshaft in person

o

closely related to Dictyocaryum, at least in terms of looks, is Socratea, another favorite of mine (and of course another one that won't grow here).

o

i love the stilted roots of this palm, too

o

you'd think on those wimpy stilt roots the plant would not get too tall, but they grow nearly 100' tall! Here is a relatively short one in Hawaii

o

last palm on my list is a small one with a lot of color... Geonoma aepetiolata

o

Geonoma epetiolata coloration variation

o

some wild palms I have never seen in here..is there an encyclopedia of palms book or somthing I can look through all these. some beautiful species but alot I cannot grow and wont even grow in any part of the US except hawaii

o

I'd really like to get my hands on some of these more tropical palms and grow them from Containers.

o

* Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 12:10

that joey palm is just beautiful but I don't even try them I know I can never get it to that size around here. Is that at a botanical garden or somthing?

Yes, that Joey magnifica is in the Flecker Botanic Gardens in Cairns.

I've got a couple of Arenga undulatifolia, but still in pots and getting too big. Wanted to wait until the heavy rains set in before planting out. They look really fantastic when they're large. They have a huge one in the driveway of my local nursery, you go under the massive canopy when you drive in.

Bismarckias are nice but need to be right out in the open. I prefer the silver ones.

I also have a couple of Licuala mattanensis Mapu. Never known why licuala orbicularis is so high priced, I prefer the mapu any day.

Would love to have Dictyocaryum lamarkium, but unfortunately not for my climate. It seems to do best outside the tropics (or in the very cool tropics).

Geonomas are another nice palm but not for my climate. They are a cool grower.

Socratea exorrhiza is another favourite of mine. I've got 2 that are still small but looking very good. They really enjoying the climate now, this one is putting out a few more roots.

o

They might look weak but the roots are very strong. At the moment this one is on a single root, the one going down on the left, and no problems. But "reinforcements" are on their way.

o

There isnt much I wouldnt do to have your climate tropicbreezent. some beautiful stuff from your way

o

Miketropic - Pick up a copy of Genera Palmarum II from the International Palm Society. It is expensive at $150, but probably the best compendium on palms available. If you are an IPS member, you get a 20% discount bringing the cost down to $120. Well worth the cost for just the pictures.

Lzddr - That orbicularis variegata is spectacular. Had I known one existed it probably would have bumped Mapu off my list.

o

Hi Hunter!!!

Great thread!!!

All i want to know is...

Can i come and live where you are lzrdder?

Where are you located in HI or CA?

I just love everything and the colors... sigh!!!

My Pindo is (believe it or not..) is pushing flower shoots... I don]t believe it an i think it is quite confused..

I willl post pics tomorrow for you all to see.

I have always been impressed by Lz post, but this time it knocked mE off my seat!!!

BRAVO!!!

lAURA

o

The Mule Palm. Cold hardy, Heat tolerant, drought tolerant. Does not put off pollen or set seeds no mess no allergies.

o

I WANT to live in Hawaii... but am stranded in southern California for now... I really would live to live in northeastern Australia... can hardly beat that climate for most tropical palms.

o

I know this is a rather old thread, but I ran across it online and I just had to join in, Here are mine;

Orange Crownshaft Palm/Areca Vestaria. This is hands down my favorite. The orange one. The maroon form is pretty, but I love orange.
King Palm/Archontophoenix. They are all beautiful, but my very favorite is Pupurea. I also love purple.
Date Palm/Phoenix Dactylifera. Pretty and delicous! Too bad they don't really fruit here in South Florida :(
Pygmy Date Palm/Phoenix Roebelinii
Cat Palm/Chamaedorea Cataractarum. I like it because in addition to it's beautiful, graceful, iconic palmate fronds, it stays compact and bushy. And it's easy to find!
Sabal Palmetto
Saw Palmetto/Serenoa Repens. Another nice,bushy palm, I especially love the blue forms.
Dwarf Palmetto/Sabal Minor
Mediterranean Fan Palm/Chamaerops Humilis
Jelly Palm/Butia Capitata
Areca Palm/Dypsis Lutescens. I actually don't like how they look when they are trunked. I think they are far more attractive when they are clumped and bushy. Gorgeous fronds.
Bismarck Palm/Bismarckia Noblis
And, last but not least, the Coconut/Cocos Nucifera. The iconic, archetypal, symbol of the tropics. And delicious! And useful too!

o

My favorite is the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) which had no damage after prolonged cold this past winter and one of them is actually blooming. Sabal minor 'McCurtain' is my second favorite, no damage but too young to flower.

Love all the tropical exuberance in the prior posts, though.

o

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm rather fond of Washingtonias too.

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 22:03

1-3) Coconut Palms - Cocos Nucifera ('Atlantic Tall', 'Golden Malayan Dwarf', 'Green Malayan Dwarf')
4) Date Palm - Phoenix Dactylifera 'Medjool'
5) Bismarck Palm - Bismarckia Nobilis (Blue)
6) Pygmy Date Palm - Phoenix roebellenii
7) Palmetto - Sabal Minor (Blue)
8) European Fan Palm - Chaemerops humilis (Blue)
9) Cretan Date Palm - Phoenix theophrastii
10) Needle Palm - Rhapidophyllum Hystrix

Restoner: Very nice! If it's reproducing, it is certainly adjusted to your climate!

o

Canary island dates
Manila
Majesty
Queen
Areca
Foxtail
Cuban royal
Pygmy date
Spindle/bottle
King
Any ideas on why my foxtail won't push out it's frond it's got the spear but it doesn't seem to grow I got it in October it's been repotted and it's in full sun now that it's been warm

o

My favorites are

Archontophoenix Maxima- Grows very fast here and is rare
Coconut
Fiji Fan (Pritchardia)
Copernicea Baileyana
Arecas (they look great kept to only a few trunks)
All kinds of Coccothrinax and Thrinax palms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here