Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chinese fan palm

Posted by jonpa 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 18:41

Hey all, I recently became ambitious and bought a pretty large chinese fan palm and planted it out back of my house. I did my research first before I did it and I read that those palms are pretty cold hardy. I'm still a little unsure if they will survive. They seem to be doing well, new fronds coming up in both plants, they have been in the ground for about 2 weeks. Has anyone else gad success with this plant in zone 7? Would love to know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chinese fan palm

I actually have had one here in Ne GA in the ground for about 5 years. If you protect it, it'll take the cold well enough, however, I have let mine remain unprotected for the last two years and it completely defoliates and comes back well into the summer. My two cents...if you have the time to give it the attention, you should have no problems. Oh, by the way, I assume you mean the Livinstonia Chinensis and not Trachycarpus Fortunei. Trachys handle a 7A very well. I have one that stays unprotected year round and is over 12' tall.

o

Jonpa - Forget about livistonas, concentrate on sabal minors, needles, and trachies. I assume by your name you are near Philly. Please join us on the Hardy Palm and Subtopical board:

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/

the Hardy Palms in Temperate Zones board,

http://members3.boardhost.com/MIDWESTPALMS/

and the Hardy Palms for the Northeast Board,

http://members6.boardhost.com/spanish2/

I like this board, however, these other boards are much more local and are more relevant to us here in Pennsylvania. No offense to anyone here, please feel free to join us as well if it applies to you!

o

Thanks bradleyo+k4idx for the tips, and yes I'm near philly, about 40 min west

o

Also I have a pindo planted between my 2 chinese fan palms, I heard they are pretty cold hardy as well. It seems to be doing well right now, I guess the real test will be when it starts getting cold out, around mid November

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here