Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Need some ideas for the yard to deal with the neighbor

statenislandpalm7a
12 years ago

My yard looked great before but now my neigbor planted 30 abvoraties on her side of the property blocking most of my full sun and dividing the yard. THe people installing them damaged my gian treed and my elephant ears and the lawn. They also killed some of my castor bean seedlings by stepping on them

Here is a picture of my yard early last spring

same spot this year.

my layout

I want to redesign the lawn area on the left next year possibly this year.

The green dots are the abvorates

The blue line is a path that must be incorparated into the design for the lawnmower to get to the other side because i cant go onto my neigbors property

i want to make a new bed along the abvoraties of tropicals to block them off and shade them out.

I need some suggestions.

Comments (60)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I do like these revenge posts! I would probably be growing the most obnoxiously tropical plants right near them. I dont know why anyone would dislike tropical plants
    I have a paulina tree that I didnt plant, but I do keep it because I must say, when mixed with lots of other tropical plants, it does look tropical because of its giant leaves. I cut mine to the ground every fall to keep it from getting huge (because when it gets to a tree size, the leaves dont look very impressive. Mine was cut to the ground as usual and right now (just 2 and half months after the last frost) its already about 6 feet tall (and I definitely dont care for them well!)
    You might want to give a southern magnolia a try. I know that its only going to give you more shade, but they are very beautiful evergreens and the blooms are so nice and fragrant. All the southern magnolias around here are actually in bloom right now and I've been seeing a lot of decent sized ones at local nurseries for somewhere around 175 dollars (about typical for any tree that size).
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Staten Island, I admit I'm not up on the Latin names for palms, but since this shrub is always called by its Latin name, its spelled Arborvitae. Just FYI. Good luck revenge planting. I have a fussy next door neighbor too. He has a privacy hedge of arborvitae. It's a plant for anal retentive types. I feel
    your pain!

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=ms-android-verizon&ei=bebzTaCkKKLplwe26uSgAw&q=http://www.aboutarborvitae.com/&ved=0CBYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHHcnTHZ826v9BWSemXsZseRerLhw

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

"Jim I think lombardy poplar and paulina trees will be great. Once they get big the abvorite dont stand a chance. Then I will remove the trees "

Yea,yea,or how about some weeping willow trees????

They will descend over them eventually blocking out everything!(-;

Yea,were partial to some plants ourselves...and not so
    much others,huh(-:

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

The weeping willows will be thirsty trees. Mine is growing at a very fast pace. They will have a large root system too. They could choke out your neighbors trees.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think weeping willows are too much. They will do damage to my sidewalk and my foundation

Wetsuiter I completely agree that it's a plant for anal retentive types. My neigboor also planted 20 boxwoods perfectly trimmed onto a hedge

• bradleyo_gw
    12 years ago

What a jerk! Those will get way too big in that small space and will ultimately intrude on your property. I'd be really p****d off!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Staten Island...

I like the idea of the Bananas....i also agree that its a shame that your neighbors would go to that extent to divide the homes...unbelievable...when you all talk about things that would choke....something comes to mind...VINCA..LOL

My neighbor has ivy that always comes over into my side yard...they are nice people..but dont tend to there yard and it has become a problem with the growing ivy and Vinca...when i see people buying it at the stores for their containers..i just laugh...they could come in to my side yard and dig up buckets of themm....

Make sure that you plant those tropicals so all can enjoy!!
    (FROM BOTH SIDES....)
    You can tell alot about people by the plants that they like...People that dont like tropicals...well, are a bit strange...LMAO!!!

Good luck with your dilema...let us know what you decide!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your right laura, the things people plant says a lot about the people! I like the vinca idea. They are more invasive than ivy in my experience! I have them in places where I never planted them. They survive the winter in the ground and in pots. I have such a thick groundcover of variegated vinca in my yard, its really hard to believe that all of that came from one potted vinca 6 years ago that managed to root one stem in the ground.
    Bananas are a nice option and ensetes do seem to prefer some partial shade.

Keep us updated on what happens!
    -Alex

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Yikes, this woman would probably smear a $30 steak with ketchup! What an absolutely gorgeous yard, I'm so sorry she didn't appreciate all of your efforts.

Yeah, I say bamboo. Lots of bamboo. Some of mine puts up shoots 40 feet from the nearest cane, even though its all mown lawn in between.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

I also agree that bamboo is the way to go. Like mentioned before, plant the barrier on your side, but don't plant one on hers. She will be very sorry in a few years that she messed with you. And if you're getting too much shade, you can just cut the bamboo down to a shorter height like a hedge. You can also plant morning glory and let them grow up and choke out her arborvitae. Both plants are very invasive and grow like weeds here, and both are tropical looking and nice to look at, so it won't look intentional.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Good news for you Staten Island. The trees she planted are very slow growing and too close to each other. Many of the butia and bananas will reach for the sun and you'll be fine. You still have better sun than me:)

Is she new or is it possible to speak to her that you would like to be informed of any future projects. As a last resort, you may find out from local officals if this required a permit since it obviously involved a contractor. In any case it is best not to fight with neighbors. Trust me, in Broolkyn, its easy to get in that snare. I had two neighbors almost hurt each other because one guy dumped his snow all over the side walk of the homeowner who just shoveled it. So the homeowner then pack the snow so tight around his car that the guy went to his door looking to argue and the other guy said if he took another step... well you get the picture. Aviod people like this. Maybe its a blessing you'll see less of them now. Are you on speaking terms?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Kudzu.........

nuf said!(-;

That's actually a cabin in the middle!

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

LOL... No good for 7a. Needs 8a maybe 7b:)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Kudzu should do very well (actually too well) in a zone 7a. But if your looking for revenge that should do it. You can plant it late at night and when they wake up the next morning, their either house should be covered in it, lol.
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

LOL!

• User
    12 years ago

Personally, I like the look of those conifers and intend on installing a row of Arbovitae (an American native species) and Italian Cypress on one side of the property line. My preference for landscape plantings though is more "subtropical" than tropical--to each his own. As long as they are on his/her side of the property line, I don't see much of an option for you. I'm a peaceful guy and try to make nice with my neighbors. I have great new neighbors to the immediate East of me. They intend on putting up a fence next year and my Arborvitae and Italian Cypress will go up on my side. On that side too is non-aggressive/non-running, clumping bamboo (Fargesia). Okay, I have an aggressive side too. On the western flank, I have people who have all night parties with loud, horrid "music" and have been frequented by the police. In the past, they would wonder into my yard in a drunken stupor after a night of partying. They put their garbage including a Coke vending machine and tires in back of their house and high intensity spot lights into town trees beyond their property line--UGLY! My solution--lots of high fencing (maximum the town will permit--virtually to the curb). Then I planted a allee of seven Southern Magnolias alternating with Butterfly bushes and Crape Myrtles in order to block the noise and eventually to obliterate the view of their house. Not then yet, I planted a variety of aggressive/spreading, timber bamboo at the rear of the property (Black, Golden Goddess, Vivax, Viridis, and Moso to follow). Oh, then there are the Bald Cypress and Dawn Redwoods--do you know how massive Metasequoia get!! This is my version of the 'garden of good and evil'.
    Given your lack of a rapport with your neighbors, I'd put up a fence--a tall one. PS., A fence may cut down on on some sun--but will greatly HELP with some (sub)tropicals that would appreciate the wind protection--bananas and palms included! Peace out.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nj you think italian cypress will survive in ny/nj. Ive never seen it here. I think I will be going with a row of tropicals bannanas, cannas, elephant ear, angel trumpets, etc. Planting starts next year because i will be redesigning my current tropical bed to blend with the new one.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I know we have Italian cypress here, I plan on planting a row on my back property line where my redtips have died. The house behind me is a rent property so you never know who is going to live there. That's why my dogs stay in the back. When they bark , I shoot! Haven't had any problems in awhile!

• User
    12 years ago

Staten Island, Italian Cypress is supposed to be hardy to zone 7--yeah, I think they will be hardy here. Sometimes, you don't see certain plants and trees merely because no one has tried them before. I have an lots of tropicals but use locally hardy plants for landscaping as I want year-round privacy and beauty.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think Italian Cypress prefers a dry climate. I think I saw a few in Virginia beach but it may have been some tall junipers.

With a bit of searching i found it on google maps. They are planted flat against a large concrete building in a zone 8a

Here is a link that might be useful: cypress

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found out the building is an art gallery an di found a picture on their website of the exterior

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1143247}}

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Italian cypress can definitely handle some wet weather (although they are much more common out west because they are very drought tolerant). I have seen some in the south which gets plenty of moisture (probably less than here during the winter though). I would give them a try if you can find a nice sized one that cheap. the great thing about these is they can be planted right next to a building which will give it some added protection!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

StatenIsland, A fence is not a bad idea. Fences can be good peacemakers. These bushes look very close to the property line. Did the landscaping and removing grass clumps cross into your yard - if so, you may install a fense against the neighbors bushes if it comes to that. Frankly, it doesn't look bad what she did. Do you say hi to her at all or wave to get a conversation going? Tell her the bushes look nice and then explain you side of the equasion. Peace is best unless its some wild partier you can't communicate with like listed above.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg I still say hi. I try not to be an a-hole.If I were to put up a fence it would only further shade my plants and I can t put a fence up to the sidewalk do to some laws. I tried talking with the ni= neighbors but they are not reasonable and told me its this or a 6 foot fence which would be worse. They did walk on my property and step and break some of my plants but all the Arbovitae and the mulch are on her side of the property line. I even measured according to the survey

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Kudzu grows like crazy down here. Very invasive stuff. Still, I love seeing some of the woods here draped in it at night. Very erie yet appealing.

Anyway, it would probably due just fine on Staten Island, but you would be unleashing a monster.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

If you can't put a fence out to the sidewalk, the same rule should apply to her anal retentive arborvitae hedge. I'd check into that. Maybe she'd have to take them out as far back as the house.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the rule doesn't apply to plants because its a fairly common practice around here.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hi StatenIsland,
    I know its a bummer to deal with some shade. I am glad you are still saying hi to her because its important to keep communication open. Once it breaks down its difficult to get back. Don't be afraid to be the better person.
    As long as she placed the arborvitae hedge and mulch on her side everything is fine. However, you do not know the rule about plants extending to the sidewalk, its worth knowing - so find out. If it is a rule, I wouldn't use that Ace unless I had to because she may respond worse.

There also may be a limit on how high a hedge may go if they grow too large 5 years from now you may bring to their attention. Learn the rules.

For now if you can, try to forget about it and move on with YOUR plam plans and be glad for the land you have. I wish I had such a nice piece of land to plant.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

What about a fence with plants on it???(-:

Seriously,what are we talking about a half hour of sun?

Which way does your house face?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greg thanks for the advice I will focus on my tropical be and I will expand it alongside the aborvite.

Jim my house faces south west.

To the left my neighbors have a huge oak tree. Acroos the street is another one. Behind the front bed is my house. To the right I had nothing blocking the sun

• zocalo1
    12 years ago

Hi! I am a friend of Mike who just gave you the med palm...I feel your pain, bro.
    I think bamboo will create a nice tropical barrier and it grows pretty quickly...some varieties up to 30 ft...one sprout I had this spring is already 25' and it is located in a shady part of my garden (yellow groove bamboo)
    Good luck!
    Gary

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Staten Island, good idea, you still have pleanty of sun.
    6 or more hours = full sun; 4-6hrs partial sun, 2-4 partial shade, 1-2hrs mostly shade, Bambo is hard to control, my neighbors bamboo is almost lifting up his walkway to escape to my side. Some types are tooooooo agressive and much work to contain. Now that it rained heavy again here in New York and its warm - that bamboo is going to forrest his small plot of land. Bamboo loves water so it can spread faster.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I hear ya Dennis....
    Maple on the east side and a Elm on the west here...
    I do get sun the best part of the day though,
    always looking for more though.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zocab

yes I have some yellow grove in the backyard this year it reaches 20 feet. It would only creat more shad and it is alot of work to control. The med fan palm is doing great. Thanks alot to mike

Greg Yeah my bamboo lifted a small drain in my backyard. i had to dig up the drain cut all the roots and replace it. I the lawn its easy to control. I just cut the shoots with the lawn mower where they are unwanted.

Jim yeah me too any amount of sun helps. I had the oak tree cut back a few years ago but it gre back. The top of it is dying so sometime in the future my neigbor will have to remove it. I like plants and trees but I hate that oak. It drops pollen which covers everything and stains my drive way. i drops tons of acorns which sprout in the lawn and drops so many leaves in the fall.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Little helicopters off the Maple get everywhere here in the spring....
    sometimes I wish a storm would take out the Maple
    but....we do need to be careful what we wish for-LOL

12 years ago

Hey StatenIsland..

Been thinking of you everytime i look at my side yard...

I took some pictures of my lovely neighbors yard with the monster ivy...ill post later...hate to be embarressed at the mess that i have next door...but thought i would share the mess that i have to deal with...

LOL..its a real mess...

Pics to follow later this afternoon...

Misery loves company...

Please help me with my dilema as well... Many thanks!

Laura in VB

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

That's a shame Laura. You're place is such a tropical paradise from the pics you've shown.

12 years ago

Hello EVeryone...

OK, Here they are...this is my neighbors house, i cant see this from my backyard but this is the view when i go to the side yard and see all of his "stuff.." and the never ending ivy patch... Im embarrassed to show this jungle..but i have tried to contain it to his side...it starting to climb my fence, but with the help of roundup, im keeping it at bay..lol

{{gwi:105556}}
    {{gwi:11752}}

{{gwi:36547}}

my fence...jungle is trying to climb the fence...
    {{gwi:1143255}}
    {{gwi:578839}}

so i guess we all have some neighbors that dont repect others property...and especially their own....

I guess ill go out and spray again...LMAO I even go over the fence line...oh...i guess its breezy out..oh well!!!

He does have a beautiful Dogwood down bt the water's edge..so i do keep the ivy off of that tree..its so beautiful in the spring..i consider it mine...LOL

Take care everyone..

Happy Fathers day to all of the wonderful dad's!!!

Laura in VB

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Larua the ivy is really invasive. It looks like your neighbor are the type of people that don't care about their yard at all.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow thats a lot of ivy! I also have some ivy comming into my yard from the neighbors (and lots of variegated vinca as well). I dont mind it too much, but I know it will become a problem that I will have to take care of. Fortunately my neighbors havent bothered my yard much. My oleander is actually a bit easier for my neighbor to enjoy than for me to enjoy so I guess they are pretty happy about that since it does have nice summer blooms!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

That's a shame Laura. You're place is such a tropical paradise from the pics you've shown.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I know! Get a chainsaw and pretend you lost control of it and "acidentally" cut down all of her trees!! lol.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

You're controlling the ivy over growth well. I can see your fustration as well, controlling ivy is a big job and time consuming. What does hubby think is the best appraoch? The ivy is too invasive. Did you or hubby attempt to speak with the your neighbor?

Let me know if you'll be in town anytime this summer and we will keep ALex in the loop too:)

12 years ago

Hey Greg,

I have been meaning to send you an email..but things here are so crazy..havent been posting much, but hope to get some pics of the yard for you all to see...

Hopefully i'll get some time to do this soon..

As far as this June or July ...getting free time is going to be limited...My daughter is going to have Open Heart Surgery in two weeks..so im quite nervous and busy getting thing ready for the event...

I wasnt going to post..but she has already posted it all over face book.... I guess things are not the way we used to handle these delicate matters...She is only 25 yrs oldd and needs to have her Aortic Valve replaced.

Needless to say all of my time will be devoted to her in the next few weeks...

I hope everyone is enjoying there summer...

As far as the neighbor...he is so worried about trying to get his grass started...he mows it when its wet..then it burns up..then the whole process starts over again..lol

So ill just continue to spray and keep the ivy back on his side..he will never do anything about it..

Take care..

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im very sorry to hear Laura. Thanks for telling us all. Dont worry about meeting up or anything right now, I know that you must be so stressed out and worried right now. Im sure your daugther will get better soon and I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I hope your daughter does well. Like Alex, I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

laura I'm sorry to hear that. We all wish the best for you.

12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Alex, Hunter, Staten Island....thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement...We really need to keep up the faith at this time...

Thank you all again...very much appreciated...

Sorry to add this to the post Staten Island...but i was in a zone the other night and needed to tell Greg...i had been meaning to tell him..should have sent an email...

please forgive me for posting this on your thread......

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Good luck Laura

Hope and pray everything goes well for her!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura its ok I dont mind.