Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmmi

Acai tree

frmmi
16 years ago

Does anyone on here have experience with acai palms and know what kind of care they need? I guess it takes 12 years to get berries from the palm and I should be living in Miami within 4. I have some seeds and a heated seedling dome on the way to my door.

I'm interested in these palms because of the health benefits of acai which are diluted in commercial distribution.

Comments (49)

• cfkingfish
    16 years ago

Euterpe oleracea (Acai) is a moderate grower, and I grow these in my garden here in SW Florida. I have a variety called "Acai blanco", meaning "white fruit" in Portugese. These seem to have redder petioles and thicker leaflets. They seem to like acidic media, so go for peat, oak leaves, pineneedles, or even coffee grounds.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ckingfish for the soil info. I have a hot house like this with 50 cell inserts. Could the palms survive in the cells for their first 8 months?

• cfkingfish
    16 years ago

These are rather fast growers if their medium is correct, but I think 8 months will be ok from seed to hitting the plastic. They put up a long first leaf however.

• alexnjzone7
    15 years ago

My Family is from Brasil, just like the tree. It grows rampant in Northwestern and Northeastern Brasil(Amazonas, Acre, Rio Grande Do Norte)They basically look like coconut palms (to me at least.) Theyre really not that hardy at all though. In fact, where my family originated in Rio Grande Do Sul state, they couldnt be grown becuase of the cold. Other than that, they taste good! Good luck!

Amo fruta de Açai!

• acaigrower
    15 years ago

I have Acai trees growing here in South Florida that have experienced prolonged temperatures this winter of 50 degrees fahrenheit and they are thriving beautifully. I have found these trees to be very robust and hardy.

• alexnjzone7
    15 years ago

While 50 may be kind of chilly, its not cold by any means. They cant be grown in Southern Brasil, becuase temps frequently drop below 30. Just stating the facts. They are robust in very warm areas though.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took this in Jardim Botanico in Rio in december. A few clumps are in there.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Acai grower,
    I only had 5/50 germinate last time and I have some seeds arriving from Brazil soon. Do you have any tips for germination? I use the hot house dome, and some wet but not soaked peat moss. I think the seeds are tough to sprout because they are so recalcitrant. I'm hoping the 2 weeks between harvest and me planting them does not mean most are dead.

Did you raise these palms in south America and now live in florida?
    Obrigado

• acaigrower
    15 years ago

Dear frmmi,
    I grow the trees from seed in South Florida.
    The seeds need lots of good drainage or they will rot. Peat moss alone may be too "heavy". I get very good results with a mix that is 50% peat, 45% perlite and 5% activated charcoal. The seedlings like a fast draining mix that is course enough for oxygen to get to the roots.

I am always looking for new sources of seeds. Can you share your source with me? I usually by 5,000 - 10,000 at a time.

Thanks

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would be glad to help. Can I have your email address?

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are also a commercial variety that produce 30% more pulp and are slightly shorter than the regular acai palms. It's like the superberry dwarf variety sold at rarepalmseeds.com

• acaigrower
    15 years ago

Dear frmmi,
    I would like to try the dwarf acai. My email is john.jameson@yahoo.com
    Thanks

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Germinated in Sept. Pic is from 4 months later.

• newinthegarden
    15 years ago

frmmi, I looked through rarepalmseeds.com but I didn't see any acai seeds advertised, would you know where else I could get acai seeds or palms? I'm from california, would you know if I would be able to grow them here? My email is donfinaceo@aol.com. Thanks.

• david_
    15 years ago

Are you looking for Euterpe oleracea seeds ? That is the name of the palm, Acai is only the common name. You can ask Joseph from ortanique or rps when they get them fresh.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No I'd get them from me. I got a seller in Belem with a plantation that harvests them and sends them right to me fresh.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nah I have a bunch here in my house and anyone in this forum is welcome to them. I sowed a bunch of seeds for fun and all sprouted.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got my seeds of the Acai superberry dwarf cultivar from this ebay seller. I had 100% germination and the palms look amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Seller Entertainmentsaving

• groworganic3
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I am so sorry...I made a big mistake in my last posting. All my trees died within two weeks of getting from Ebay seller Coconut Climber. I followed growing instructions and still died...May have been sick, they turned black. Another ebayer said Coconut Climber may be selling fake Acai trees and may have been reported for doing so. Now, I 'm in search of a good Acai grower. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Click the link I sent, what could be better than what's being offered? best genetics, good feedback.

• galcho
    15 years ago

Does anybody growing this palm at home? How fast it will grow? How big? Will i get berries? How long to wait for them? What condition at home does it need? What soil?
    How often will i need to fertilize, change soil?
    thanks

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a fast growing palm that needs good potting soil and lots of water, especially in the summer. Small seedlings need high humidity.

• galcho
    15 years ago

But is it possible to grow it inside and will it give berries?

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think its possible because they don't need a lot of light for normal growth. Berries aren't very important to me because it's like anything else. Indoor fruit plants like pineapple and citrus yield a couple servings and not much else. They are nice to look at in the winter though.

• tropicdude
    15 years ago

Ok, I finally found a source for the "Euterpe Oleracea BRS-Para " or Acai superberry variety. 10 seeds on their way ( I hope ). I will take pictures of the progress and post them here later. from the information I have gathered here in the forum so far, is that they will require very very light soil, a warm humid climate and plenty of water. any suggestions on sunlight for seedlings? full, partial sunlight?

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I treat them like any indoor tropical. While outside they need lots of water.

• protempsfish
    15 years ago

Thanks for the referral for the ebay seller frmmi. I just placed an order for 10 seeds. So far, great customer service. Will keep you posted!

• tropicdude
    15 years ago

I just ordered 100 Acai seeds ( para dwarf ) from rarepalmseeds.com, although they may not have the Para Dwarf variety listed on their website yet, the regular Euterpe oleracea are listed though.

Other than using very light planting mix, what other tips do growers of Acai have? if I start seeds in Polybags, how long before I should transplant? has anyone used shredded coconut fibers (coir) for planting seeds?, I noticed that a local nursery uses that for other palms.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The dwarf ones are the only really comercial grade acai though.

• micahsue
    15 years ago

FRMMI, if you have seeds, I would to get some from you. Please email me to make arrangements, micahsue@consultant.com. Thanks.

• tropichris
    15 years ago

Acaigrower- 30,000 palms? I dont really believe you, no offense. You could replant alot of the amazon at that rate!
    Save the rainforests:)

• poochy1234
    15 years ago

I have some acai trees I bought from an internet vendor. They came 3 feet tall. I put them in a 3 gallon pot this summer and they are already 5 feet tall and looking great.
    Last week it got down to 45 degrees and I see no damageto the palms.

I got pictures if anyone wants to see them.

• protempsfish
    15 years ago

Yes Please post pics!!

• soccerdude71_earthlink_net
    13 years ago

I want to know if these will live and produce in southern california. If not, how well do they do indoors? Will they produce fruit indoors?

• oshidacare
    13 years ago

Someone could be sharing your experence how to plants the Acai tree on the organic field and I am living in Taiwan which is a little hot and very high humidity country.

• frmmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They do well in Taiwan without special treatment. As long as the elevation isn't high.

• wols
    13 years ago

I live in South America where these trees grow in my back yard. Underneed them we have planty of seedlings, fresh and green.....

• labreland
    13 years ago

poochy1234 I would love to see some pictures of your plants and could you tell me were you got them. I really want to buy a tree.

• mrrmsantos_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello I live in Queensland Australia and would like to know what are my best chances in gowing these here in Australia. Would really apreciat any info. Thank you

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

If you live along the coast or near to it, then you should be able to grow this palm in Queensland. If coconut palms are growing care free than this palm should stand a chance (Acai palms are less cold tolerant than coconut palms though and will die if temperatures drop below the 40s or upper 30s). Winters should be mild with no frosts and warm days. If you have those conditions then they will be very easy palms for you. You might also want to look into red sealing wax palms for a similar look. They are much rare and more tropical (and probably more expensive), but I think that they are really nice palms.
    -Alex

• nickcABL
    12 years ago

Ive recently soaked some acai seeds for 48 hours. Would a mixture of soil and cocofiber be good for the plants? I planned to cover the container with syran wrap to keep humidity in and keep outside where it is still low 90, high 80s. Does this seem like a good method to use?
    Also how long usually is the germination process

• egreen
    12 years ago

What spacing is best to plant Euterpe oleracea (Par� Dwarf)palms for planting up to 500 palms.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Super tropical palms... will not grow anywhere in California. HArd to get to fruit i n a greenhouse unless it is really tall (these palms mature at about 20'-30') and THEN make fruit.

I would plant palms (outdoors, right?) at least 10' apart... still, over time, that might end up being too close together

• nunyabidness
    11 years ago

hey frmmi i don't really want to try to grow it from the seed, do you have any dwarf acai palms i can buy that are already like a year old?

• wirgaujn
    11 years ago

I have had pretty good results with my a�a� starting them in 2 liter coke bottles. The bottles seemed to keep in the moisture and I've kept them in a pretty shady area of the backyard. Some of them arrived already germinating but still took 4-6 weeks before the shoots appeared.
    They're about 4" tall now and I'm wondering if it is safe to transplant them into a container without a top. It is pretty humid in south Florida right now but they've done so well in the bottles I'm a little nervous about changing the conditions. Does anyone have ny insight in regards to how long they require such high humidity?

• guamacai
    11 years ago

We have just ordered like a couple thousand acai tree's, but this bug that has just recently (within the last couple of years) become a problem: the rhino beetle. It destroys our coconut tree's and seems like its spreading so I'm wondering what is the acai susceptible too? Like what bugs and diseases and what can I do to prevent it?

Also we have red clay on Guam and its really acidic any advice on the percentage mix with any special potting soil would be much appreciated thanks!!!

• john_e
    11 years ago

Would anyone be willing to send me some dwarf acai seeds that they are not useing I can't get any of mind to grow I'm willing to pay for shipping ...

• hatemajestypalms
    11 years ago

Could you grow these in a pot in minnesota as an indoor potted plant? How fast do they grow?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz