Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Dwarf Acai (para dwarf) GMO?

Posted by plantlover13 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 19:24

Hello all. I was wondering, is the dwarf acai palm a GMO? i have heard somewhere that it is. I would like to grow an acai palm in my container garden here, but i can't deal with a 20 foot tree. I also want to avoid GMO plants, for the standard reasons. so, is it GMO or not? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Dwarf Acai (para dwarf) GMO?

I would venture to say no. Genetic modification takes millions of dollars in research and implementation. The genetic modification is done, in most cases, to make a crop withstand drought, pests and/or herbicides, as is the case of crops such as corn, wheat, soybeans and other economically significant crops. I do not think that acai is of enough economic importance to modify, and the cultural requirements for growing Acai don't call for modification (i.e. Acai "fields" probably don't require blanket spraying with glysophate. "weed control" is probably done by hand with machetes to control the forest undergrowth. Acai plantations are in rainforest regions and likely don't require additional irrigation...)

I have read of Acai Berry supplements being made with OTHER genetically modified products, but the Acai Berry itself is not. A lot of dietary supplements contain the anti-caking ingredient Magnesium Stearate, which is typically derived from corn or soybeans, both of which are most always modified crops. If the product contains Magnesium Stearate, it will likely list it in the "other ingredients" section of the nutrition label.

I hope this helps!

o
RE: Are Dwarf Acai (para dwarf) GMO?

thanks! so i think that i may go for it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here