Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis

Posted by tristanpierson 6b (tristanpierson@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 19:40

Has anyone seen or grown this palm before? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis seems to be a winner. It's hardier than a Butia, faster growing than a Jubaea, very large, and most impressive. I think it has a good shot at growing here. Although less common than mule palm, this hybrid has been done numerous times in the past and is sporadically available through mail order and other sources. Butia x Jubaea is frequently, but not always, self-fertile, capable of producing its own F2 hybrid seedlings.

Taken from desert northwest

http://www.desertnorthwest.com/articles/cocoid_hybrids.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 22:21

While I would hesitate to say anything is impossible, a feather leaf palm in zone 6b without protection might be a little bit much. Near the coast in the PNW (zone 8a and up), I believe a few of these can grow already.

o

I'm not wanting to grow it here. I was trying to figure out if it could grow in Brookings Oregon which is zone 9b I think. I was wondering if they can live in a place with cool summers or if they need heat to grow.

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 19:37

Sorry, I misunderstood. Certainly on the coast, they should grow very well.

I believe Jubaea chilensis is either the most cold hardy feather palm, or very near the top of the list. It actually prefers the cooler west coast climates, and will not make it over here on my side of the continent.

Mixing it with Butia might make it more tolerant of our conditions on the east coast, but either plant would survive in 9b, so it stands to reason that their offspring will as well.

o

I always thought they had to be the same variety or something to cross pollinate? Are Jelly Palms and Chilean Wine Palms related?

o

Jubaea chilensis (Chilean Wine Palm)
It is a palm reaching heights of 82 ft with a trunk up to 4.3 ft in diameter at the base.
It's leaves are pinnate.
The tree grows very slowly.
It needs mild winters, but will tolerate frosts down to about 5 *F as well as relatively cool summers, making it one of the hardiest of pinnate-leaved palms.

Butia capitata (Jelly Palm)
This palms grows to about 19 feet in a slow but steady manner.
Identifiable by it's feather palm pinnate leaves that arch inwards towards a thick stout trunk.
Butia capitata is notable as one of the hardiest feather palms.
Tolerates temperatures down to about 14 *F

Sounds like those two would make a good hybrid.
If anyone is growing one I'd love to see it.

o

Butia x jubaea is surviving fine in Northern CA It should do fine there. They are in the same family. Along with Syagrus and Parajubaea. I just received some pollen of Parajubaea Sunkha and will be crossing it with Butia Odorata.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here