Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Washingtonia Robusta dying?!

Posted by RichardC7 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 19:43

Hi guys! I'm new to this Forum, and love it! but i have one BIG problem, my Washingtonia palm looks as if its dying!!! I tugged on the top new ffrond, and it wasnt loose, which means its not completly dead yet. could i have over watered it? i watered it daily.... is that too much? :( I had also notice that i saw many "pincher bugs" not too far from it, could they be destroying the roots?! i put some homemade food on the palm when it began too.... heres the link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5235029_make-enhance-growth-rate-palm.html
As instructed, i put 1 ounce of it per gallon of water.... it has HELPED my banana trees.... BTW does anyone know how big my musa basjoo will get this year? they are maybe a foot tall! thanks! and will they get bigger next year?!

i bought the palm from Willis Orchards BTW.... and i live near Pittsburgh :)

I attached an image below

Here is a link that might be useful: Washingtonia Robusta Help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Washingtonia Robusta dying?!

you are definately over watering and perhaps over fertilizing. youd be better off watering it once a week, maybe less. and washingtonias dont need much fertilizer maybe twice a year.
as for the bannana, you can expect it to grow about 3-6 feet in one year.

o
RE: Is my Washingtonia Robusta dying?!

Washingtonia are pretty much desert palms, so watering it once per week is plenty! Maybe once per week is too much. You can see them growing like weeds in Las Vegas in dry cracks along the sidewalks and roads, and they hardly get ANY moisture, ever. When in doubt, purchase an inexpensive soil moisture meter and only water it when it's getting close to being dry. Never water it if the moisture meter still says "wet". Good luck!

o
Footnote on musa

Unlike the Washingtonia, musa and ensete can take a fair amount of fertilizer. Best to give them a diet of fertilizer on a regular basis like every month. They tend to do very well if you give them an organic fertilizer like Milorganite. You really can't burn them by giving them too much Milorganite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here