Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Curious...

This past Sunday, during the tail end of TS Debby, I was out in my garden area checking on my plants and found that a palm seed had taken advantage of all that rain to sprout. Unfortunately, it had sprouted in my Key Lime pot. So I dug out one of my old commercial planters (the cheap black ones you get for free when you purchase a plant). I picked one that was 6" deep figuring in my lack of experience that this would be plenty. Upon gently digging the sprout out of the pot, I found that the 1.5" blade had an approx. 6" taproot growing from it (I also took the opportunity to examine the seed itself and it looks like it is probably a sabal). I went ahead with planting the sprout in the 6" pot, watered it down with leftover Debby rains and set it up in a warm but partially shaded area until it recovers from being moved.

But the length of the taproot compared to all other measurements has me curious... would I not be better off purchasing a length of 3" or 4" PVC tubing, cutting it to 2' in length and capping one end and drilling drainage holes? It seems like a waste to have all that soil and horizontal growing space for such a thin, long-rooted, young plant.

Comments (9)

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

you can do that. The best thing for growing trees in large quantites are forestry plugs which are very narrow deep pots. A pvc pipe is good but I would think it would dry out fast. Most plants adapt to the pot and can grow in any shape pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: forestry plugs

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

A lot of palms (and cycads) do put out a very long tap root. It helps to anchor them and get water from moisture deeper down. As the ground surface dries out they are fairly drought resistant.

The problem with keeping it in a long narrow tube is that side roots will develop but won't have anywhere to go. If you want to keep it as a potted plant then the wider the tube the better. It won't take long for the roots to completely fill the container.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I find most palms germinate that way. Imagine how top heavy they are ?? Takes a long tap to conteract the pull even without wind.
    The most extreme I've noted was "Joey" palms. the tap root was over 24 inches long before the first frond!!
    They make seedling cups specificly for palms to accomodate this habit. If you don't allow for it it will A grow through the drain hole into the ground .B grow sideways and stunt the palm or C croak lol gary

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Gary, you have Joey Palms? I've been trying to get some for years but they're never available. Which one do you have?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The reason I have it (and two other sprouts [and a long-leaf palm sapling]) potted instead of in the ground is because I live in a Mobile Home park that has a "You plant it, we own it" policy. Most plants I tend to plant anyways, accepting that when we move in 4-5 years they'll be staying behind. Others, like my wife's crepe myrtle that she got as a gift and my younger plants I keep in pots. The understanding I have with palms, especially the sabals, is that they stay in 'grass phase' for at least 5-6 years and then they start pushing up a trunk. If I put those in the ground and then move, they'll just get mowed over by the park. Perhaps what I will do is be 'sneaky' and cut a nice hole in the bottom of the pots to let the taproots dig down into the ground as they grow, and then when we move, cut the taproot at ground level (it is my understanding this is how the palm farms around here do it... except they grow their palms in the ground)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That's a cunning plan. "Necessity is the mother of invention". But if they're only going to be destroyed then yours is the best option.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

hi
    At one time I had both J altifrons and magnifica was never able to locate alata. "Joey on a stick" Certainly would not recommend them except maybe in a truly tropical climate and you are around ten years old lol Maturity is at least 30 years and they better be good years I lost them to hurricane Jeanne ,threw the small shadehouse on top of themlol
    I got them from Palms and Gardens but no longer in business. Searle bros has them but around 3/400 dollars for a 3 footer. Seeds were fantastic as germination is an incredible process be prepared for at least 3 years to get out of the seedling stage!!! You'll quickly learn why they are soo expensive
    There are gazillions of other tough palms that are much more rewarding gary

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I have champagne tastes but a beer income, LOL.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

tropicbeezent
    If I lived in your area I'd go for the Joe palms in a heartbeat!! They are native to Malaysia and they have them in the Singapore gardens . You would probably be able to get seed maybe even fresh enough to actually germinate?? lol To my mind the most "magnifica" of all palm trees!!! gary

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting