Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

Land of the dry

dixieboy
12 years ago

We are parched, best i can remember it's been about 2 months w/out appreciative rain showers. Water hose is used everyday but there's magic in the stuff that comes from up above, standing in line wait'in & surprised every thing is hold'in on as well as it is! 7 pics

{{gwi:1129654}}

{{gwi:1143427}}

{{gwi:1143428}}

{{gwi:1143429}}

{{gwi:1143430}}

{{gwi:1119716}}

{{gwi:1143431}}

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im sure the rai will be heading toward you soon! I know I could use some here and it looks like it should arrive for the weekend. We havent gotten any rain in June yet, but I know the situation is much worse in the South. I hope you get rain down there soon!
    -Alex

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Alex, it's good of you to be thinking of us, i know it will eventually come but it's the magic potion ingredient that our plants thrive on! ( you know what they say, you don't miss it until it's gone ) ( or is it we are spoiled )

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Looking good, keep up the watering and sooner or later you'll get some rain.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, that's about all we can do now, until the great event happens.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey dixieboy,
    I know what your going through.It's been 90*f plus for 12 straight days,and no rain.I cant remember how long its been since it rained.I think the last time it rained was about a month ago.I had to cut the grass yesterday and it has been so dry it looked like a dust storm was going through.I get out at 6am every day to water plants,it's to hot to do it any later during the day.Your grass looks much greener than mine,mine is brown.Your veggie garden looks like it's doing good.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I can't remember the last time it rained here on the southern Delaware coast. Tired of watering and it's going to hit 100 here today.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Randy, if our soil was sandy the grass would have been brown long ago, mercy, i sure hope we & everyone else get some decent down pours before long. Hang'in in there, that's all we can do! Thanks

Wetsuiter, it'll come & when it does, we & the plants can rejoice! That cloud moisure has minerals in it that other methods just can't compete with.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

There is some weird weather anomaly here on the central DelMarVa peninsula that seems to repel rain. Other gardeners notice. Storm fronts come down from DC and N. Virginia, cross the Chesapeake and dissipate --almost dividing in two, going around this area. It'll rain up in Dover and down in Salisbury, MD but miss us. The kicker is the storms often regroup jusy off shore.

Rain! Please!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I didn't want to tell you about the rain we had or was going to get, but did want to give you a few pics to take your mind off of the heat.

Hope this helps you beat the heat.

Stay cool,
    Chad

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll take some of that white stuff melted in our yard!!! lol

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Got some much needed rain with a line of storms at 2am. Still need much more. Thankfully rain is in forecast thru weekend and cooler temps.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I'll take some of that too.Melted please.It's funny that the only palm in my yard that seems to like all this heat and dry weather is my waggie.It's pushing its 4 frond.I thought they slowed down in the summer heat.My fortuneis are growing but no where as fast as the waggie.My sabal palmettos seem to be just sitting there.The sabal minors are growing,but very slowly.The ceriferas,well they grow very slowly anyhow,but well worth the wait.
    Randy