Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Back yard pics and botanical garden

statenislandpalm7a
11 years ago

bamboo a few years ago 2009 I think

today it is 2 stories tall

new spindle palm

I repotted this majesty. It was completely root bound even though I repotted it last summer. It is getting huge.

row of castor beans

the very last prickly pear flower for this year

I got a great deal on this siam ruby so i picked up to this is the one im keeping

I played around with the saturation and this came out good. This is a canna indica that I grew from seed and the leaf pattern is very different from the parent.

I volunteer at the local botanical garden and last year i planted 2 windmills and a waggie they had. I protected all of them and they are doing great.

here they are

waggie

trachy

trachy

musa basjoo

bonus

I took this picture at my house in the pensylvania. Its a zone 5b there and i did some experiments there. I planted trachy seedlings but all died, surprisingly a prickly pear survived the winter in a pot.

Comments (15)

• chachacharlie
    11 years ago

WOW your Majesty Palm is absolutely gorgeous! it looks so green and healthy! Awesome tropicals!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ive had it for 5 years now and it grew alot. To keep it so green I fertilize it weekly and keep it in a dish of water all summer. Inside it stays by a sunny window and only gets watered once a week and no fertilizer.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

That Majesty palm is very impressive! I've never seen a potted majesty that beautiful. I can't keep mine from going into decline. Even outside in summer, mine never grow, so I gave them away and stick with the easier palms.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! Nice new spindle palm, they grow fast so it will be big in no time!
    The Majesty palm looks great as always. Its definitely the nicest potted Majesty palm I have ever seen. Wish mine had fronds that green and a trunk that fat!
    Those Cacti could probably come back from a zone 3! They are incredibly hardy, mine were accidentally dug out last December so they had no roots all winter long, but sat there during the winter and re-rooted in the spring no problem!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Awesome, great job with the Majesty palm, whenever I've gotten one it always ends up infested with scale. I finally stopped getting them a few years ago. I should try one agian, I always give my potted palms some systemic granuals in August and it seems to keep mites and scale away all winter.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looking good-how is the weather over there?

Click for weather forecast

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone

Andy I never had scale on the larger majesty but the smaller majesty in the 4th pic was attacked by scale in the winter and still has some.

Jim its 88 degrees right now on my weather station and the forecast is 84 91 95 95. The weather is great it was cool at the beginning of the week but its getting better.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Great looking palms, makes me want to try a majesty but I know better!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. You should try a majesty. It can be done with some special care.

• josh_palm_crazy
    11 years ago

Very nice! What kind of cannas do you have? Is that a saw palmetto in the one photo?

Jay

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cannas in the pictures are canna indica, canna indica purpurea, and canna wyoming. I also have canna pretoria but not in pots. Which picture are you talking about. I dont have a saw palmetto. If your talking about the silver palm thats a blue med fan palm

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Sorry it took so long for the reply, I sent you an email!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I answered your email

• josh_palm_crazy
    11 years ago

Oh god. Never mind I see now. Its the palm with the purple heart in the pot. I totally missed the huge trunk the first time I looked at the photos. Is that a trachy?

Jay

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jay its a regular med fan palm

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets