Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

New spindle(s)

trishmick
10 years ago

Mother-In-Law just brought this up from Florida for me. Found it at a Walmart for $16. But, because there are 3, should I seperate them before it comes inside for the Fall/Winter? My Bottle palm did not do well inside this past season, and went quite brown when placed outside. Only now starting to recover. Want his cousin here to fare better.

Comments (6)

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great looking spindle palm! Spindles are a lot easier indoors than bottle palms. Usually I have no problems with spindle palms indoors, for some reason the entire crown burned on mine this spring however and it is now just growing back. I would take it outside anytime there is a mild day during the winter, it really seems to make a difference.

Good luck with it!
    -Alex

• User
    10 years ago

They look kind of tight to separate. I won't chance it personally. However, I just finished dividing up a tight, twin Majesty Palm.--So, it can be done with the resonabe hope that each will survive (but Majesties are common and cheap enough). One thing I have noticed about both the Spindle and the Bottle is their extreme vulnerability to sun scald IF they have been acclimated to shade. Yes, most palms will burn some if put directly into the sunlight, but these fry up real fast. I have one on rear deck under a beach umbrella for a few weeks. Of the two, I like the Spindle more. Mine gets overwintered in the basement under lights and is almost impossible to kill. One thing, they do get kinda big for the house eventually!--may be time to send back to Fl..

• andyandy
    10 years ago

I say leave them unless you really want them apart. My spindle that I bought last august did not make it through winter. It got some sort of fungus. My bottles have done great indoors though. Maybe it helps that they were germinated in Michigan and have lived their whole life indoors for 7 months of the year. They're about 2 feet and each ones new spear is about to fan out.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

I don't have any issues at all with my Bottle Palm indoors. It just sits in my living room for months, with only a skylight on the ceiling with minimal direct sun. I water every few weeks. The newest spear creeps along slowly. I acclimate for a few weeks in the spring and that is all.

The first 2 winters I would notice the leaves browning at the tips easily. I attributed this to too much leftover granular fertilizer, which meant the rootzone needed frequent leaching. I no longer fertilize as heavily with the granular stuff, and rely more on liquid feed. Haven't had any issues ever since. And I don't do anything special to increase humidity either. Just an occasional soap spray if a mealy bug is spotted.

x

• andyandy
    10 years ago

I keep my bottles in my kitchen window which faces south. they get direct sun the whole time indoors. All be it weak Michigan winter sun.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living