Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdels1

Pushing the palm limits in Jacksonville FL....Again!

vdels1
12 years ago

After two consecutive cold winters, a new home, and a hope for warmer winters, I have decided to once again push the limits. I have a coconut palm that I bought from walmart 3 years ago that is now nearly 6 feet tall. I also have a Christmas Palm. both were potted until I planted both in the ground near a south facing wall this past week. Hopefully the mirco climate will help. Now, can someone assist me on how to post the pics from webshots that will show on my posting instead of a link??

Here is a link that might be useful: File0196

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice shots! Your coconut palm looks great and so do all your other palms!! Thanks for sharing! Wish I could help you post the pics directly here, but I dont know that website.
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

to post it click on the icon near the facebook one at the bottom of the picture then copy the first code

{{gwi:1144254}}

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

I like the pics of the washingtonia bed and the coconut

• the_virginian
    12 years ago

Not to be a buzz kill, but as soon as it drops below 45F or so for any length of time the Coconut Palm will have significant tissue death which will result in a fungal infection and may die fairly quickly unless treated. In the winter in your USDA Zone I would protect the palm with frost cloth and Christmas lights with a heavy mulch. My folks who live in Naples, Florida a full Zone and a half warmer have problems from the cold biting into the Coconut palms. The Christmas palm isn't much hardier. Great that you are trying it and who knows, it may work! Best of luck. :')

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I would try a coconut palm in your area as well. Sooner or later you'll have a string of mild winters that it can survive. Planting it south facing will add some warmth and also a string of Christman lights turned on cold nights. Wrap some of the lights directly on the bud and new growth and you'll be in better shape.
    Coconut palms can take it below 45, since Miami was 31-33 for 2-3 nights, there palms survived! Naples had record cold and biting winds and the palms are recovering. That was abnormal for Naples the past two winters. My vacation house is there and our palms survived 2 nights in the upper 20s.

• vdels1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was sucessful in planting one a few years back that was on a south facing location and managed to endure 21 degree nights simply by using a tent cover and a 60 watt bulb keep it warm. But I sold the house and the palm was removed soon after. On winter days when the temps push 70-80 degress I would fine spray it to at least give it some humidity. Towards the end of March I would see growth of new spears which would go until december. The one in my pic was a potted one I pick up from Walmart 3 years ago for $10.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Sounds like you have the tent light bulb winterization down. I would go sparingly with watering misting and not mist or water for temps below 55 or predicted to go below 55*F for a day or two. I look forward to you're success!

• CocoManInJax
    12 years ago

I'd love to see how your Cocos are doing now. I just moved up to Jacksonville from Cocoa Beach and planted some coconuts, foxtails, Christmas, and kings around our tiki deck.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH