Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagirl_palms

mexican fan palm

lagirl_palms
13 years ago

I also have a Mexican fan palm that i have had for quite some time. Can't seem to get it started. It stays the same size and will not grow at all. Any suggestions to get it going?

Comments (8)

• User
    13 years ago

Where is the palm? In the ground? In a container? There is no information in this posting to answer your question. Sorry. But yes, something is very wrong if you can't get a Mexican fan palm to grow in LA.

• lagirl_palms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry my previous post wasnt very clear. i live in central louisiana and have a mexican fan palm planted in the ground. It won't get growing and has been same size for a couple of years. Suggestions on jump starting it?

• User
    13 years ago

Palms are relatively heavy feeders? Are you feeding? They like a rice humus soil as long as drainage is excellent. How much sun does the palm get? Did they suffer winter damage or perhaps spear pull? Otherwise, I can't figure why yours aren't growing. I live in NJ, grow mine containerized, and they grow like crazy!

• lagirl_palms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not real good about feeding them but i'm learning. I'll try your suggestion, thanks for the help.

• rubtherock
    13 years ago

Mexican fan palms suffer from transplant shock. Almost everyone I've planted here in NC died back then robounded. Time is the answer and make sure there is well drained soil.

• butiaman
    13 years ago

I bought a 1 gallon about a month ago.I potted it up to a 3 gallon pot,and it's already out growing the 3 gallon pot.I had the pot setting in a bed that gets full sun.I picked up the pot to turn it and the plant had started rooting in the ground under the pot.I water mine once a week,when I water it I give it Miracle Gro.It has got to be the fastest growing palm that I have ever had.I dont know if I should plant it in the ground now or wait till next spring.I hope you get yours growing,good luck :)

• User
    13 years ago

They are nice robust palms for sure. Maybe a dozen years ago, when I first started getting into palm collecting, I had purchased seedlings for maybe a dozen different exotic palms. The Calif. grow didn't have any Mexican fans on sale but was nice enough to pluck a tiny one growing as a weed tree beside his house and toss in for free. All the exotics have long since died--the US/Mexican native Washingtonia is now in a big tub in the back and constantly is trying to root into the ground. So much so that I need to saw the roots at the bottom of the container. They are also easy from SEED if you want more. I have mostly robustas (I think). One may be a filifera (or be a hybrid--they hybridize readily).--Now I have six of them in big tubs and they along with the Date palms are just about the only thing that will survive the heat on the black top behind the house.

• vinay_mitra2009_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi,

I need advise regarding a damaged mexican fan palm tree.

Last week, someone peeled off most of the branches of a 7-8 ft tall palm tree in my society. Luckily a few branches were spared, but two days later, a gardener cut off the remaining green branches also, thinking it was a right thing to do!

The hapless tree is now left to only a trunk with a green hood.

I live in India and winters are about to start here.

My questions are:

1. Can the tree survive this damage?
    2. What can we do to increase its chances?
    3. How much time would it take to grow the branches again?

I would appreciate advise to save that tree.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County