Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pindo Palm Tree

Posted by AGC15 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:32

We just moved in to a new house a little more than a year ago. I pruned a tropical plant in the front yard at the end of winter. It is actually a pindo palm tree, just found that out. I read that pindo palm should not be pruned. It is not growing much now just a few leaves. The main stem has been trimmed so it is very short right now. I don't know if it is going to survive. Anyone knows about pindo palm tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pindo Palm Tree

Actually, I meant to say the trunk has been trimmed, not stem. I may have killed the palm tree, except there are a few fronds growing at the branches. But the growth has stopped at the trunk.

o
RE: Pindo Palm Tree

It is not exactly clear what you did when pruning it. A pic would help illustrate exactly what you are asking. All the new growth from this palm will come out of the one central meristem (gowth point where the new fronds come out of), and if you cut this off, the palm will die. Palms will not branch or grow a new top like other types of plants can when trimmed. It's hard to imagine that you managed to cut this growth point completely out while leaving a few green leaves below. If you just cut down the newest emerging leaves (call the spear), the plant can live but not be happy or look very nice while new ones grow in. You can prune old fronds from the bottom up on a Pindo, as they turn brown and and become unsightly. Also, if you are in zone 7, that palm will not be a long term viable plant anyhow without some winter protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here