Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamaedorea unknown

Posted by lzrddr 91335 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 22:59

I am supposed to know my palms, but I cannot recall where I got this one, and its identification has always eluded me... anyone recognize this one... sort of burned with recent exposure to sun (on the north side of my house but it's getting over 10' tall and sticking its neck up where it doesn't belong). Too tall I think for microcarpa (and too wimpy in cold weather), too leaves too wide for most other species save maybe potchutlensis.. .but sort of sparsely leaved for that one.

Chamaedorea unknown

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamaedorea unknown

I think its a parlor palm. The fruit looks the same and so does the trunk. The fronds also look very parlor palm-like to me.
Thats my guess, I guess its possible that its a rarer Chamaedorea because parlor palms take at least 10 years to reach the size of the one you currently have. I dont think parlor palms clump so if its a clumping palm you can rule that out.

Good luck!

o

yes, it is a clumper, and it grew this tall in only 4 years. And leaflets far too wide and far apart for Chamaedorea elegans.

o

I am starting to grow a few different Chamaedoreas but not good at identifying them at this time. Here is a link of different Chamaedorea's to help you know which one it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacsoa/Chamaedorea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here