Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

How things are going in my garden lately

us_marine
11 years ago

After a break of cooler weather its warming back up :)

Wild flowers I planted as a test.

{{gwi:1144643}}

{{gwi:1144644}}

Water Melons :)

{{gwi:1144645}}

{{gwi:1144646}}

{{gwi:1144647}}

{{gwi:1144648}}

{{gwi:1144649}}

A washy sprouted up near my drip irrigation line :p

{{gwi:1144650}}

Two other washy's that randomly sprouted up. Havn't decided if I am going to keep them or not.

{{gwi:1144651}}

orange tree

{{gwi:1144652}}

It has 9 oranges total. Most are on the other side or top of tree

Part 1

Comments (13)

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Everything looks great. I would keep the washys until they get too big. What is that yellow flower with silver leaves

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Part 2

pecan tree- This one actually randomly sprouted up as well. Normally I wouldn't plant these types of trees so close. Especially when its a tree that gets huge.

{{gwi:1144653}}

plum tree

{{gwi:1144654}}

{{gwi:1144655}}
    Planted from seed. Its producing but won't produce alot until a few more years.

branching corn.... Never seen this before

{{gwi:1144656}}

{{gwi:1144657}}

{{gwi:1144658}}
    Yeah two on one :)

Cherry tree. I picked all the cherries weeks ago.

Yellow cannas
    {{gwi:1144660}}

Red

{{gwi:1144661}}

Fig

{{gwi:1144662}}

Blue berries

{{gwi:1144663}}

Had no clue they would do ok here.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Part 3(of 4)

Hens and chicks

{{gwi:1144664}}

Dwarf bananas

Bananas

Avocado in the middle

lol needs some palms :P and I think a coconut palm would also make it look better lol

Pomegranate
    {{gwi:1144668}}

{{gwi:1144669}}

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coconut palms

View from on top of house

{{gwi:1144670}}

{{gwi:1144671}}

{{gwi:1144672}}

{{gwi:1144673}}

This spear is coming up pretty fast. I'm not sure how fast each frond is coming in but it looks like a frond a month. Once it warmed up she took off. Now the color look a little yellow to me but everytime I look up Golden Malayan Dwarfs they are all yellow and look a lot liek that. The fronds that are growing in from being outside are actually a darker green. Only the ones grown last year and during winter are yellowish.

Heres how my two newest coco's are doing... Not so good. After spraying them with fungicide a few times:

{{gwi:1144675}}

{{gwi:1144676}}

2nd dwarf- This one hasn't done anything at all but get worse. The spear has not opened, not even a little. The new spear you can barely see hasnt grown either.

Tall- green variety

{{gwi:1144677}}

{{gwi:1144680}}

{{gwi:1144682}}

At least the tall shows some signs of life. The spear did open up quite a bit as you can see and does appear to have grown some judging by looking at were I put the stickers. But I'm not sure it will recover. Only time will tell.

And sorry for the late reply-
    @ statenislandpalm7a- What yellow flower with silver leaves? I think you might be talking about the ones in the 2nd pic? Those are California State poppies. They are actually a bright orange. Pretty neat flowers. I would get some :) They are pretty easy to grow and are very drought tolerant, being a california native of course lol.

- US_Marine

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

US Marine, are you keeping your Cocos outside overnight?
    and is that a cage you got around your oldest coco? possibly to keep out dogs and rabbits whatnot?

the wildflowers look great! but i think you need more palms :P

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

Are those tall Bananas from just this summer?! they are Huge!

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ ericthehurdler- Yes mine have been outside since April or May, I can't remember exactly.
    And yes thats a cage around my oldest coconut. Its more so to keep out cats. A while back when my original coconut palm was still alive it got scratched up pretty bad by a stray cat. I am trying to avoid that with this one. Especially since my cat used it as a litter box when she was in heat.

- US_Marine

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ RichardC7- They didint get that tall in one summer, but you see where the smallest or oldest leaf is at the bottom of each tree? From there on up all the green trunk/leaves you see is from this year after winter dormancy. So pretty much it grew more than a foot so far. Some of them have grown at least 2ft or so already. But bananas's tend to grow fast normally.

Thanks for looking everone,

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! Sorry to hear about the problems with your new cocos so far, sometimes they take a while to get adjusted! This year I bought a large Adondia palm so the cocos are a little bit more shaded and arent as growing as fast, but still are doing well so far.
    The watermellons look great and Im surprised you can grow cherries with your mild winters!
    The fig looks huge! Mine is in it's second summer now and it has so much fruit on it. Everyone I have talked to around here said they are getting more figs than ever after the mild winter this past year. So far I have over 50 that I have counted compared to the 8 I had last year!
    Those bananas look great too! I'd love for mine to get that big one day. So far they are far from it!
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

With your coco problems I would keep the washy seedlings. But that pecan will have to go unless you have a large yard.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ tropicalzone7- Thanks :) Yeah I can't believe they were infected when I got them. For them to decline within a day is crazy. Makes you wonder how many more palms are infected back at the store. But as far as them recovering maybe only the tall. And even so its a slim chance at best. Usually by now I would see another spear coming up showing the palm is ok. Only ones that didn't were ones that died.

The shade isn't a bad thing unless its shaded a lot. lol mine could use some shade :p. Yeah thats just the crazy thing about the climate here. Its mild enough to have fruit set on tropicals and have them do good but just enough winter chill to have apples and cherries to fruit as well. Usually though they don't produce as much as they would normally in a climate with more chilling hours but they produce enough to get quite a few fruits. Thats a lot of figs! And a lot more to set this year than last. Mine is only about 2 or 3 years old. Haha banana's that are that tall are very nice looking but they are harder to care for. The pups come up like crazy and when after all frosts when it starts to warm up the clean up sucks. lol

@ chadec- The problems are just from the ones that were infected with some type of fungus when I got them. My other one doesn't really havee a problem except it needs just a little more shade. By summer's end it will look a lot better. The new fronds always adjust better than the ones that acclimatized to low lighting and higher humidity while being inside. My south facing window has a shade screen that can't be moved so it doesn't really get as much light as I want it to. The thing about washy's are they grow like weeds. They are very beautiful palms but they just love the climate here too much :p They grow in storm drains, in cracks in the side walks and roads, and in your yard when you don't even own one. lol. If I keep one it will stay in a container a while. The pecan tree probably should be removed. It could get very big there if directed right but even then eventually it would get too big.

- US_Marine

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Yeah I was talking about the poppy. I love the golden color of the stems on the coconut.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O ok. Thats the only flower there I know the name of. The others I have no clue. I just mixed a bunch of flower seeds and through them out because they were kinda old and I havn't decided on what I want to plant there.Thought it would look nice instead of looking at weeds. Was thinking about planting quite a few palms and other tropicals for the tropical look. Those pics only show a very small portion of the area I have to plant. But I aint sure what kinds to plant.
    And I also love the golden stems on the golden malayan coco. I like the light green fronds, they are different and stand out but their yellow tint often give them a sick or nutrient deficient look. But usually thats just how they look. But they shouldn't be yellow, you should see light green blended with the yellow tint. They are such beautiful palms though. They look so good with the landscape that sometimes I would think " Now, if only it was bigger! and had coconuts!" lol

- US_Marine