jane__ny
10 years ago

Looks very yellow to me.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (10)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

NOT normal... looks nutritional, possible potassium deficiency but is a common deficiency with some Phoenix palms. Phoenix in my area of the desert look like this after a summer of drying winds, only the yellow part is a brief transition color to dead pale brown.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

With the yellow spread through most of the fronds like that is does seem like a nutrient definiency.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    don't know if preventable but happens to almost all the date palms in my area . Certainly not fatal as many in my area are over 40 years old lol have noted that those located in upscale shopping centers don't have the problem Don't know if that's because they feed properly OR because they prune once a day??lol
    Check out Fairchild and see what they say?? gary

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. We moved into this house 8 months ago. It did flower and dump tons of seeds a few months ago. I put some regular fertilizer 10-10-10 around all the shrubs and trees (including this one), maybe that did it? I notice some in the neighborhood appear yellow but not to this extreme.

Any suggestions or just leave it alone. It has been very dry and I don't have sprinklers.

Jane

• Steve
    10 years ago

Jane, the tree is showing potassium deficiency. You need 100% slow release fertilizer with numbers like 12-4-12, or 8-2-12 with full micro nutrients.

Left untreated, the tips will die back and the oldest fronds will start dying.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I will look for that fertilizer. Can I use Epson Salts? I have a few large Areca Palms which are also yellowing. Do I treat them the same?

Jane

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    10 years ago

I can't speak to the Areca palms, but I do use Epsom Salts for my date palms. Usually once a year, I'll dissolve about a tablespoon of them in a 5 gallon bucket and water each one with it. Seems to be enough to keep mine from yellowing at the tips.

• Steve
    10 years ago

Jane,
    Epsom Salt is fine with a slow release fertilizer that does not contain magnesium. But if you use it by itself on a palm that has potassium deficiency, it will worsen your potassium deficiency.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, its sooo complicated!

Jane

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

It can be but that is why a balanced palm fert is being suggested.

Do a full fert treatment with the proper palm fert and you will solve most
    of your problems and won't create new ones.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction