Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Anyone have a recipe for Jelly from my Pindo Palm?

Hello Everyone....My name is Laura and I am new to this Palm Forum...I have many Sables (15 footers) and Pindos or Jelly palms growing in my yard here in Virginia.

I am looking for a recipe for making Jelly from the fruit of my Pindo Palm....My palms are very mature and produce large blooms with many fruit along with many seeds...I did try to follow a recipe with a different type of fruit, but I thought someone here on this forum might have a great recipe to share

Any ideas? Thank you for any advice!!!

Laura

Comments (21)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mastiffhoo,

Thank you so much for all of the information!!! I have tried for several years to make Jelly from the Pindo...the first year it came out OK...but the second time it didn't set up at all! LOL...

I will use your recipe for sure!!! My fruit on several of my trees are about 3 weeks from maturity...so I will have to wait.

I am here in VB... My palms have been in the ground for about 15 years...(The cabbages/Sabals have been in the ground the longest. My pindos have been planted for about 12 years. I no longer do anything to them in the winter...however I do watch the weather when it gets close to a hard freeze...If it gets around 25 degrees for a few consec. days, then I will place heat cords around the hearts of the trees and tuck them in with burlap.
    I haven't had to do this for a long time!!! Thank goodness because it is a process (I have about 9-10) in my backyard so it is a major job when it is cold outside!!! I don't do anything to protect my Windmills...and I have several Ponytails that are in pots which I bring inside during the fall. (Bottle Palm as well)

What part of VA are you from? I would guess maybe up in No. Va.? How is your pindo doing? Do you fertilize? do you ever give it epsom salt? They love that!!! (if you want any info on the fert. that I use just let me know...I will be happy to share!!!

If I can ever help you....please let me know...and again thank you for the recipe!!!

Laura

• tnwindmill
    14 years ago

Laura,
    I have 2 Pindos and was just wondering what the epsom salt does for them? I have read to fertilize once a year during the growing season and pretty much leave them alone, but I know others fertilize more often.
    Thanks.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I was also wondering that. Also if I fertilize it in mid August will it still be in active growth mode by fall because mine has a long winter ahead of it which is predicted to be snowier and cooler than average.
    If its like the 03 snow then Im in trouble, but I do have plans for a styrofoam box which Ill put on it for nights below 21F which happenes about 10-20 times during a somewhat average winter. My plan is to keep it above 20F at all times and if it works maybe Ill plant a washingtonia filifera in a few years.
    Thanks in advance.

• mastiffhoo
    14 years ago

That is awesome, loveplants! I would love to see some photos, if you need help on how to post, just let me know!

You are welcome for the recipe! I hope it works out good for you. I have always wanted to try pindo jelly jelly. Let me know how yummy (or yuck) it turns out!

I am in Lynchburg. gets a bit cooler than vb, but we can still manage a few palms...

Currently in the ground I have 1 windmill, 1 needle, 1 pindo, and 2 brazorias - all have done pretty good up until this point - and last winter was very cold!

I would love to share information on palm care etc. I could forward my email addy if you like!

Thanks!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Epsom Salt is Magnesium sulfate which is a great mineral/nutrient/supplement for Palms...I use it on all of my Palms in the spring as well a second dose in the summer.Since my palms are pretty well established I just take handfuls of Epson Salt and sprinkle it around the base...maybe a foot or so away from the base...that way when it rains, or when I water, I don't soak it to much so that the salt doesn't drain away. (The large palms 15 footers) I usually put down a cup or so. The smaller potted palms (a couple small handfuls...depending on the size of the palms)

tnwindmill and tropicalzone..I fertilize in the spring and again in August....some do fertilize more often than that...and the Man who produces my fertilizer stakes says to fertilize in the spring and then again in the fall...but I am alittle cautious because I want them to settle down by the time winter arrives...He says that it's good to fertilize in the fall so that the palms are strong and healthy to keep them strong over winter...In my opinion I don't want new growth during the winter months. I have found that Pindos in the ground are really very hearty...When mine were new I did wrap them with Heat cords (The kind you find at Lowes) to protect pipes from freezing...I wrap the heart of the tree and If the weather turns really cold, I plug them in and tuck them in with a little burlap (the heat tape keeps the temp around 35 degrees) so you won't kill or freeze the heart of the palm...I will admit, that 14 years ago I use to wrap the whole tree with shrink wrap from top to bottom...now I just chuckle at others because I did the same thing...but it really doesn't help the tree....all you want to do is to protect the heart!! Shrink wrap doesn't protect the heart at all!!! (In my opinion) It only incourages scale and other unwanted creatures...some people forget to take down the plastic when it does heat up...then you run the risk of burning the leaves...(Messy and not helpful)

Mastiffhoo...I would love to post some pictures...maybe I will try...I have never done this before...so don't laugh if they turn out funky or even MIA!!!LOL
    I would love to share with you how I fertilize my trees and even trimming the trees...They like to be trimmed up to incourage growth...especially the Pindos!!! You can email me at lmjusa@yahoo.com and we can exchange info!!

The last batch of Jelly that I made tasted like a sweet marmalade!!! Different but good!! especially on bagels!!!

• rita_greer_sc
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever tried baking anything with the Pindo Dates? If so, will you share the recipes? My niece is bringing me a bagful from Garden City Beach (SC) and wants me to make cookies or cake with them. I had never heard of them until she called this morning, so I'm excited to get my hands on them! Hopefully a seedling, too. Can I plant some of the seeds from the fruit that she brings? I've gotta have my own tree now that I've heard about them!
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Rita

Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita.,
    I have never tried to bake with the fruit of the Pindo..but I have made jelly before...Try it and let us know!!!
    I will give you some seeds if you would like...They do take awhile to grow..I would suggest to go to your localnursery or even on ebay and purchase a small Pindo..They are fun to grow, but if you are looking to watch them flower and produce seeds...then it will take a few years...

Again I will provide you with seeds if you would like...

Laura in VB

• zorjone_lightningspeed_net
    12 years ago

Do I peel the figs before I cool them?

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Hi Laura, can pindos survive zone 7 bedford va? The pindo is one of the palms I want to plant the most. Also, how did your daughter's sugery go? Im hoping all went well.
    -Hunter

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Zory,

I do cut the pits out (seeds) then i cook as is.... i used Brians recipe ..it turned out great!!!

Love the Pindo Jelly...

Made mme smile when i saw this old post!!!!

Thanks..needed the smile!!!

Hunter...her surgery will be tomorrow....

Thanks to all of my friends for your prayers...and thoughts!!

I do appreciate them...Thank you!!!

Laura in VB

• pier_man0909
    11 years ago

hello everyone. I had a question about pindo fruit. what are they supposed to taste like? I harvested a stalk off a tree yesterday and while I guess they smell like a tropical fruit they have a sour kick to them. im not sure if they are supposed to be sour or if they just arent quite ready yet. there were several dozen that had already dropped off the stalk by themselves so I figured they would be ready. do different trees produce different tasting fruit because I have heard people say they are very tasty and the ones I got definately were not. thanks.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Pier,

Mine have a semi sour bite to them.. I certainly wouldnt just pick and eat them for the taste. But making the jelly was so much fun!! Thanks to B for the recipe!!

I love the jelly!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Laura, you better bring me some of that jelly. I'd like to try some of the fruit fresh too. Don't forget you have a hibiscus waiting for you.

• pier_man0909
    11 years ago

thanks laura. since you have tasted both the plain fruit and the jelly, is there that much of a difference in the two or are they very similar? I dont think I would want to make sour jelly, haha.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Probably depends on how much sugar is in the recipe. Some pretty tart fruit can make sweet jams and marmalades.

Original Author
    11 years ago

V is correct.. the recipe has just the right amount of sugar in it, so it taste perfect!!!

Good Luck!!!

V, When i amke it again, i will save the first jar just for you!!! : ) You know that!! LOL...

Good trade.. Hopefully soon. K is going to have her little on on the 6th id=f Sept. C saetion due to her heart issues.. So come sept, ill be a grandma!!! OHHH MYY!

V, i need a cosmo.... LOL!!!

xoxo

Laura

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

You'll be the hottest grandma in Virginia. Maybe the US.

Original Author
    11 years ago

awwwwww.. i just saw this... You are so sweet!!

Thank you!!! : ) I don't believe you!!! LMAO!!

But thank you!!

Laura

• HU-313861771
    3 years ago

My first try at making pindo jelly didn't turn out well. It didn't set and turned a much darker color after canning. Anyone have advice or reasoning for my disaster!

• Becky Cochran
    7 months ago

Wow, just found this forum. I've been making Pindo Palm Jelly for 4 years now. On you tube find Pindo Palm Jelly 1 and Pindo Palm Jelly 2. This is the recipe I follow. This year my tree has been very fruitful...4 "fronds" full of fruit, ripening slowly enough for me to keep up. This last one made 5 tall jars of 6 cups liquid each to use for jelly making. My pectin for three batches did not set up despite being in date so I was looking for directions how to fix it. I have 23 half pint jars to redo and 4 pints. Huge sigh, I've worked so hard already. First year I've had this problem. I love the jelly and give most of it away. So tomorrow a trip to the store for bottled lemon juice and then begin again.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting