Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Early July 2013 pics of the yard!

tropicalzone7
10 years ago

The summer weather is officially here, although with more clouds and rain than usual. The plants had a very slow start this spring because of the cool weather but they are really starting to catch up to where they should be.
Here are some pics. Check out my blog, I update that with a lot more pics.
http://tropicalsinzone7.blogspot.com
Dragon wing begnonia with ti plant

Cool shot from a few weeks ago during the "super moon"

Some pics of my biggest plumeria, it was just a foot tall in March 2009! It goes well with some Spanish Moss!

My Calypso Oleander. I think this is it's 4th summer in the ground now.

Sabal Minor is blooming for the first time since 2011 (not visible in this pic). Also a shot of my ti plant and caladiums

One of my hardy gardenias (newly planted). I forgot the cultivator. The fragrance is incredible!

My oldest hibiscus plant had no leaf drop going outside this year for the first time ever. It has lots of blooms on it now!

Some night shots. To the left is my recovering spindle palms and in the middle is my new bottle palm

Without the flash on....

Different view of the Bottle palm

My new Thailand Giant. A little disappointed that I couldn't find a spot for it in the ground. It probably won't reach it's full potential in a pot, but I can't wait to see what it does next year when I do get it in the ground!

Monsteras are underrated plants. They do very well indoors and out and are ridiculously fast growers! This was a tiny 1 gallon plant last spring!

This area is starting to come along well. My Solitare palm had a lot of frond damage coming outside in the spring, but it's making a decent recovery.

My favorite ti plant

I also really like this ti plant

A day pic of the spindle and bottle palm

The coleus are loving the rain this summer

Schefflera fruit. The plant is 7 feet tall now!

Philodendron

Spiral ginger coming back from the dead

Cromansia survived the winter and should make some awesome blooms soon!

My new project this spring was a new planting bed and I decided to get a Southern Magnolia. I underplanted with some caladiums and coleus. Next year I'll come up with something more permanent.

Front yard plantings. My brugmansia is about to open it's first flush of blooms.

Closeup on the brug

Alocasia

Begonias

Kopper King Hibiscus is about to put on a show

Mandevillas still looking good

Pool area plants. Lots of Butterfly ginger coming up. My Saba Banana is to the right and next to it is my Solandra Maxima which is still leafing out for the season.

I'll make a separate post soon of more of the subtropicals and less of the potted tropicals. Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Comments (14)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

That's looking really great. Obviously a lot of work in it.

I can't get that Spanish Moss, Tillandsia usneoides growing here. It just wastes away slowly. Got a few tall Scheffleras but none have flowered yet. And also have a Mandevilla similar to yours, except possibly a bit darker, "Cherry Ripe".

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Tropicalbreeze! I'm surprised Spanish moss doesn't grow by you considering how nice your climate is for other tropical air plants. I'm sure mandevillas reach incredible heights by you. My record is 20 feet. It looked really beautiful covering one of my shrubs.
    -Alex

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Such a beautiful garden!
    Thanks for sharing the amazing pictures.

Mima

• us_marine
    10 years ago

One of these days I hope to have a garden like yours! Everything looks great.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Alex, my Mandevillas are heavily pruned so they remain like large shrubs. I was surprised myself at some of the things that either won't grow, or else grow extremely slowly here. Monstera, for example, I have one over 10 years old smaller than yours (even though thicker stemmed). On the other hand I grow things like Amorphophallus titanum and Cyrtostachys renda outdoors all year. "Win some, lose some".

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Beautiful color Alex..well done.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot Mima!

Thanks Us_marine! You have an awesome climate there. Hope your plants are liking the recent heat!

Tropicbreezent, wow I'm surprised that Monsteras won't grow well but Cyrtostachys renda will! Definitely a win some and lose some situation. I wouldn't even dream about growing a Amorphophallus titanum or Cyrtostachys renda. I bought a breadfruit once of the internet in April. It died after 2 weeks because we had 2 nights in the upper 40s!

Thanks Jim! I try to bring as much color with as few flowers as possible so I don't get disappointed if the annuals stop blooming.

Thanks everyone for looking!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Great idea....I went out looking for a Coleus for the garden after looking at your pics.(-:

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very nice Alex, definitely cant tell you had a slow start. This colder and wet spring has stuck around here. I have only had 2 days in the 90s. Yard got flooded again today, which my bananas are loving.

• chicago_palm
    10 years ago

Very nice tropical look to your yard. Always wanted to grow Oleander but I have three dogs that roam my back yard and like to nibble on my plants from time to time. Can't wait to see more of the in ground tropical.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Chadec! Glad that some of your plants are enjoying the wet weather by you. The past few days has been very muggy and warm by me. Days in the low 90s, nights in the mid 70s, and dew points maxing out at 79F for the past 3 days. The plants are loving it though, especially since it's coming with some pretty decent showers.

Thanks Chicago palm! My dog is good with the plants and the oleander is in a part of the yard she can't reach, otherwise I can definitely see why you would want to avoid oleanders, definitely not worth the risk even though the flowers are great!

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    10 years ago

Everything looks great. Where did you get that southern magnolia?

• jacklord
    10 years ago

Another summer of ogling Alexs garden. Looking good.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dennis! I got it at sweetbrook. They have a few locations on the island and they all seemed to have decent sized mags.

Haha, thanks a lot Jacklord! Appreciate it.

-Alex

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH