Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mid-summer update from Central Maryland

Posted by P.J._in_MD z7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 1:55

lots of pics to share in this mid-summer update from Central Maryland...

My largest trachy (brick for scale). Other trachy was 2 strap leaves 3 yrs ago. Trachy's might be my only plant/tree that seem to thrive in heavy clay soil.

These come inside for the winter but livistona chinensis and my large cordyline.

The retaining wall project...
BEFORE:
AFTER:

zooming inside the retaining wall, Yucca recurv., needle palm, hardy hibiscus, etc. Love the hosta 'guacamole'. Also stumbled upon the fiber-optic grass this year. very cool accent plant!

zooming in more, the hardy hibiscus are about to pop

zooming in again, ornamental peppers. Great colors!

The crepe myrtle 'dynamite' is about 2 weeks behind this year but should open its buds anyday. I also had this dug up and replanted as part of the retaining wall project so that could be part of the delay. Tough plant though. It never really set back despite being dug up and replanted 3 days later!

Back side of the retaining wall

Indoor plant, but is anybody continuing to grow their Christmas poinsettia? It's growing fast now and I'm considering trimming it back to force flowering this fall. Anybody got any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mid-summer update from Central Maryland

Nice pics! I like the new bed. My Crape Zuni is such a late bloomer that it doesnt even have buds yet! I hope it blooms soon!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Garden and new wall looks nice. I am originally from MD (Baltimore City). I need you to do me a favor though. Please, please send me some of that heat yall got. Not alot just 15*. I'll pay ya back this December with some of our warm winter temps.

o

Those peppers look like a fun plant-I wanted to try those
a few years ago but got frustrated with mail order companies
and stopped ordering from them!

Trachys are looking good~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here