Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nong Nooch garden

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 5:03

Hi
To those interested there are some fantastic pix of the garden
Mostly centered on Broms but many palms including a fruiting Coco de Mer. Located in the brom forum under Thailand visit. gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nong Nooch garden

Nong Nooch gardens and the Bogor gardens in Java Indonesia are on my wish list for visiting. Hopefully some day soon.

o

hi
Being both old and poor I suspect those pix are as close as I'll ever get. lol They have a Coco de mer at Fairchilkd gardens near me but was devastated by a couple of hurricanes . To my knowledge it has never seeded
still an awesome plant!! have been to central America a couple of times Not so much gardens but has high altitude rainforest. 1700 species of orchids BUT 90 percent are 50 feet up in the trees lol There used to be some pix of the Marx gardens in Brazil as well as the Guianna highlands but haven't seen them lately.
a friend sent me some pix of the orchid garden at Jurong bird park in Singapore timed the visit just right all the Birds of Paradise were in eclipse plumage lol
Oh well guess I'll have to be content with my own "jungle" lol gary

o

I'm lucky Bogor isn't all that far away, Nong Nooch a bit further. A couple of years ago I did some trekking in Papua New Guinea, the Owen Standley Ranges. That was magic. Of course as with you, the best was in the dense canopy, about 30 metres overhead, LOL. I heard the Birds of Paradise, but only caught distant glimpses. The ground was littered with fallen orchids, dying of course - they weren't terrestrials.

Darwin botanical gardens has about 5 Coco de mer in a group planting, perhaps a few others scattered about. They're low on the bottom slope of a hill, so hopefully they'll always miss the brunt of cyclones. I was there a couple of months back and most were seeding. Don't know what percentage would turn out viable, they were still relatively young plants.

o

hi
that's wonderful on the Coco de mer i understand they are extinct in the wild?? The local club planted one near the public library. The seed weighed over 20 pounds!!! It germinated but have not heard how it's doing.
N. Guinea definitely on my dream list!! I was looking at the plantae list from a recent expedition and of 500 specimens 30 were unknown to science!!
I'm a huge bird fanatic but they always distact me from looking at the plants lol I did get a 10 second glimpse of a Respledant Quetzal while in Costa Rica!! Big show was hummingbirds . You can sit in an outdoor bar ,sip cocktails and watch an endless parade of species at the feeders lol
Not too many cocktails as I thought I saw a pterantodon.!!
may have been the vodka ?? lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here