Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Sealing wax palms

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

tropicbreezent
Noted your comments on Alex's thread Would like to hear some details on how you grow these ??
figured our climates are very similar ??
As to Tills and monstera my technique is very complex.
Tills hang them up and start hacking off the excess growth, monstera put in a pot or lay it on the ground ,jump back and follow procedure of tills lol
Can't imagine what the difference would be???
I've killed more sealing wax than roundup lol gary

Comments (4)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Gary, I think zone 10 is a bit too low for them unprotected. I've read on other forums where people (Florida) take them indoors as soon as summer's over and it begins to cool. They're a swamp plant and I've seen photos of really large ones growing in ponds. I've lost 2 to dry conditions. The first one I ever bought (and didn't know anything about them) went into porous gravelly soil without enough water. Didn't last long. The second I lost was where the irrigation failed during the dry season.

I've got 4 now. A small one in a pot sitting in too much shade and in a tub of water, water level half way up the pot. It's going well but not gaining much height, they prefer full sun. Still waiting for a permanent spot (when I've got time to work that out, LOL).

Another one is in a swampy area that floods over during the wet season. Water level fluctuates too much and it doesn't seem to like it. Wet season the water goes up about 40 cms on the plant, and down to about 5 to 10 cms. But it's changing all the time with storms and monsoonal bursts. That doesn't seem to be ideal for it so will probably end up moving it.

Two are just in the garden, both slightly lower spots where wet season the ground get pretty wet, dry season the sprinklers keep them damp. One's in good sun most of the day, the other has more morning to midday sun.

This winter has been zone 12a, we had a sudden down spike in temperature earlier this month. If it went by average minimum then that's been zone 13a. And the highest minimum temp so far this winter has been 25.4C (yesterday morning). But it's dry, and no chance of rain until September, if then.

Photo of the one that gets flooded.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi
    Always kept them in the GH ,min of 50 year around . Of the 4 I've tried 3 died during summer following heavy rains ,last was repotted by a squirrel so will discount that one lol Fairchild gdns grows them in standing water but was unable to determine the soil mix The best and longest lived was in a marsh garden in fairly heavy shade . used a mix of fracted clay and a bit of top soil.. Lived almost 4 years and declined very slowly
    Love directions on mixes that I've read "Moist but fast draining yet in standing water" isn't that a contradiction?? lol
    never gets "cool" in my neck of the woods either hot or cold though winter is generally cooler than summer
    have been eying some seedlings that only cost an arm rather than the usual arm AND leg lol May try again BUT want to have a new method !! Thanks for the info!!! gary

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I just got back from Florida and saw (what I think) was some sealing wax palms in a pond in Animal Kingdom. It was definitely potted and then submerged in the pond. I'm sure they bring it indoors during the winter, but definitely seems very possible to have them as an indoor/outdoor palm in Florida since they can spend most of the year outdoors.

Here's a pic...

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Sure looks like one. the most notable characteristic is the brilliant red stems . I know it's possible to grow them here you just never see them as a landscape plant.
    Mine died in spite of my best efforts lol Wonder what they're using as a media ?? much more submerged than those at Fairchild as well as in full sun.
    Not surprising Disney can do anything !!! lol gary