Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well...in mourning now...

Posted by trishmick z7NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 7:01

Was holding out hope, but lack of activity this Summer, and loss of any remaining green after it flowered, led me to climb up and tug on all the emerging fronds. And this time, with some effort, they all pulled. Unpleasant aroma too. Poured a 30/70 mix of hydrogen peroxide down there and some fungicide, but, short of trying the trunk cutting thing, I guess it's a goner after all these years. So...just how far down do I cut?
 photo 100_2168_zps3e79bf17.jpg

photo 100_2169_zps28105263.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well...in mourning now...

Really sorry to hear about your trachy. It was such a beauty, its really sad to see that it didn't make it through the winter. Trunk Cutting's definitely worth a try, you never know if there is still some life in it!
I would cut off about 6 inches - 1 foot off of the top and see if there is any life and keep cutting down until you find some healthy white looking tissue.
I hope you find life in it. Your fig looks great though!
Keep us updated. Sorry again, I can't imagine what it's like to lose such an awesome palm. This winter was awful.
-Alex

o

Must say...this is pretty heartbreaking Alex. Tree is older than my son. Just figured after all this time that it could handle any Winter the Jersey Shore might dish out. And...it seemed to be recovering. That fig is an old sucker too, but likewise, took a helluva wallop. Had to cut it way back, almost to the ground. But, it's flourishing, and even has some fruit. Bottom line...time to get the saw...

o

Many, many Trachys were decimated by last winter in the mid Atlantuc and Southeast. I lost a few myself. On the other hand, some plants that I assumed were toasted have come back (Crape myrtles, Aspidistra, Podocarpus, Algerian Ivy, Bay Laurel, Sabal minor 'Louisiana', figs, and Needles. Loquats were killed though. This year, I will be over wintering only one windmill in the ground, but have about 12 containerized for the future (5 gallon plus sizes, I think). I want them to get some size before planting.

I hope you try again with your Trachy palm growing.

o

Your trachy really is a terrible loss. It's probably one of the oldest ones around the area also since I don't know many (or any) trachys that size in New Jersey that were in the ground from a young age. I hope you replace it with another trachy also, it seems like you know how to keep those palms very happy.
My Aspidistra also came back NJ! I was very surprised when I saw new leaves coming out of the ground. I didn't realize that Podocarpus were hardier than Loquats. I just planted a loquat and I think I may always keep it at least lightly protected.
-Alex

o

Tropical zone, this is the first year some of these were slammed so hard. Usually, the loquat will make it...especially near the house and out of wind. The Podocarpus suffered some damage but is recouping. Also good w.o. problems is the dwarf Pomergranate (pic below). Yes, I thought the Aspidistra was dead, felt bad so got another one. Now, the one in the ground grew back! It is what it is. I hope these kinds 'polar vortex' winters are not the new norm!

o

So sorry to hear this; looks like I've lost 2 of my own windmill palms (T. wagnerianus & T. fortunei "Nainital") but a third (T. fortunei "Bulgarian") is coming back after total defoliation. I've included a photo in a recent blog post:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy summer days

o

Glad to hear that the loquat usually does pull through. That gives me a little more confidence that they are cold hardy enough to not keep protected all the time. The nursery I bought it from literally laughed at me that I was going to plant a "super tropical" tree like loquats in the ground. Now I'm gonna prove to them that they aren't as tropical as they look haha.
That dwarf pomegranate is beautiful! Do you give it any protection?
I agree, I really hope we do not see a winter like last year for a very long time. I lost too many nice plants and a lot of others were set back. I never had to protect my plants so much before, I'm glad I found C-9 and C-7 christmas lights this year (I usually can't find them) because I would have lost a lot more things without those lights in the protection!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here