Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem?....with new windmill palm.

Posted by shenue z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 8:46

I ordered this young windmill palm online. It has some rust colored areas on it (see picture). The new growth has a lot of the 'rust' on it. It is potted and on my screened in porch. It gets bright light and in the evening, a couple hours of sun. Can anyone tell me if this 'rust' is something to be concerned about and what may be causing it? My only experience with palms is the common parlor palm indoors, and they grow like crazy for me with very few problems. Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give to me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem?....with new windmill palm.

It is just normal fuzz on the leaf. A windmill palm would grow faster in more sun than on the porch.

o

Are you saying the rust spots are normal fuzz? The rust areas are flat and smooth, not fuzzy or raised. There is a brown kind of fuzzy, fine 'netting' looking area around the lower part of the palm that I understand is quite normal. Is that perhaps what you are talking about? As I said there is nothing in the least fuzzy about the rust colored areas... totally flat and smooth. I will move the plant to the part of the porch that gets all the sun. Thanks for that information!

o

I hope someone can give me a little more clarification on this. Thanks!!!

o

Anyone? Please

o

If the brown is just on the emerging spear and the newest frond, it may be some minor damage from the past winter. When the emerging spear opens up the damage can shows up as a band across the whole leaf. It should grow out of the damage as new fronds are produced.

o

It looks like a little bit of rot that started but has grown out of it. Probably caused by cold this past winter, too much water in the crown, or a combination of the two. As long as it's growing out of it, there shouldn't be a problem.

o

Thanks to all of you. I very much appreciate the information.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here