Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Lots of Rain! Now the Heat! Here we Go!

andyandy
12 years ago

major storms moved through last night and we got at least a couple of inches of rain. My garden had standing water in some parts. We are supposed to get more today and tonight and then it tapors of tomorrow morning. Today and the next 5 days look like they will be able to take full advantage of it. Starting today the 7 day forecast

88-74 89-70 90-69 91-72 90-69 88-69 we are then suppsed to cool down to the mid 80s. This Could be the best and possibly last Great week of growth.

Comments (12)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Wish we could get in on the rain, 10"would be great right now!
    Supposed to be 89F yesterday,instead it was 101F.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

We got just over an inch of rain for the month. We need a lot more than that! Things are very dry here! I never saw temperatures get to 106F here until last week. Thats a really rare number here!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Guys-
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get rain soon. We got pooooooooored on last night. The sun is starting to peek out. It is 82 with 76% humidity and a dew point of 74. Palm loving weather. I did notice when we had our cool down and dry up (dew points in 50s and 40s) my Filifera seedlings started to grow faster. Shows that they like the dryer southern California type weather more then the really sticky wet tropical weather.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Good to hear that guys. Up here in Washington we are just now getting "normal" summer like weather. We haven't had any rain for over a week (at least at my house) and ot expecting any for the next 5 days or more. Temps are in the 70's an very low 80's. Ahhh....bout time. Hoping to get some kinda growth out of my palms. Most have fronds that have partially opened but stalled. My banana is growing like gangbustas even in the cool period. The combo of warmer temps, milorganite and compost tea should help things a bit. Jim and Alex hope yall get some rain soon.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earthworm-
    Hopefully August will come through for you. Pretty nasty out now here

cloudy, 87, hum 63% dew point 73, I can't imagine if the clouds moved out.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I want more heat! MY needle pushed out half a frond in the heat wave, but now because the temps are back to normal, the frond isnt growing as fast!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

150 miles north of here got 10+" in one day and another 3+"
    the next day-here? 0

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I guess I should be careful what I wish for! Just got half an inch of rain in 20 minutes during a bad thunderstorm and lost power for 2 hours! But the plants are happy and the lights are on! Definitely the worst downpour I have seen this year!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lots of heat and sun after that rain. 89 Saturday 92 yesterday, 93 today with a chance of storms. I could not believe how quickly things dried up. It was warm and very dry this weekend. The humidity was under 40% for the most part. Much stickier this morning. I have seen the best growth of the year the past days. We are supposed to cool down though after tomorrow. mid 80s for highs, no more 90s for awhile.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

73/93 here this past month...rainfall was only .06"

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Andy,

Sounds like youu have had a great summer with the heat and all of the rain...i bet you have agreat looking garden!!

We here down in Virgina Beach, have had a very hot summer with little rain. Way to hot for the normal temps!!!

The palms like it and the other tropicals like it as well, but its hard on us! LOL.. We step outside and you can hardly breath!!!

Hope everyone is doing well..

JIm, Hope you get the rain you need!!!

Alex, Wait for a few hours and it will change...LOL
    I was flying in that storm yesterday that you all received all of that rain. PHL had Hail and caused planes to be grounded for inspection..then you add to the weather delays...UGGG!

Take care everyone... ( Hi, Hunter!!!)

Laura in VB

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura-
    The palms love it but my garden not so much. We went the 1st three weeks of July with no rain. I knew that pumpkin plants prefer cooler highs (75-80) but I always thought that tomatoes and pepppers love the hot weather. A farmer I know told me that that is not the case. They would prefer 78-80 and anything mid-80s and above puts strees on the plant regardless of how much you water. That may be why none of my tomatoes or peppers have ripened. My pumpkins are ripening too quickly because of the heat and my understanding is that pumkin farmers are having the same problem. That said the palms do love it. I've seen as fast a growth as I've ever seen. cooling of though starting tomorrow, mid 80s with mid-high 60s at night is the 10 day forecast.