Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Truly Tropical and the palms love it!

andyandy
12 years ago

We had our 2nd strait night of storms and pooring rain last night. I'm guessing we got about 4 inches Wednesday night and a couple more last night. Yesterday it hit 88 and was very humid. On top of that it's only been in the mid 70s at night. The rain moves out this morning and we have 3-5 strait days of sunny and 90 coming. I have seen the fastest growth all summer. One of my bottle palm's newest frond is fanning out and the spear on my tall coconut is pushing up a few inches a day. Definately as ideal a conditions for tropical palms anyone anywhere could hope for. This is what I wait all year to see!

Comments (14)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Sounds like great weather! Things have been hot here for a while, but the next ten days are all near (or above) 90 degrees and nights are all well into the 70s.

Today is cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Its the second Cloudy day in a row! It seems like the only way to get rain around here is by sacraficing nice weather for a whole day! Its summer so rain and sun should be able to be enjoyed on the same day, but thats not the story here! I hope the sun comes out today, but we will see!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex-
    It really has been perfect because we got all of this rain but there is no rain in the forecast all weekend. Nothing but sunny skys and 90. I'me guessing the humidity is moving out for at least a day or two because they are saying 68 tonight. The rain we have gotten the past two nights was moving due east when it left so I'm guessing it's staying south of you and you are just getting the clouds associated with it. Do a rain dance (lol) maybe some will come.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Yes, it definitely looks like that rain is staying north of me unfortuantely. The sun is finally peaking out so it looks like today will end up getting warm and sunny afterall, but still no rain! I guess I will be watering the plants today like every day this summer!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

All the rain keeps missing us. So parched and so tired of watering with the sprinkler.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had to water every day for a month. I have a garden and it would have been dead. It's loving this rain. I tried growing giant pumpkins for the 1st time in years and have 4 pumpkins going. One is getting REALLY big and is just sucking up the water. It's the kind (Atlantic Giant) that always set the worl record (new record 1800 lbs from last year) I'm not expecting that but it has tripled in size in the past 6 days and I think 500-600 lbs may be possible.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Sounds like a biggy!

Really need the rain here-some lurking off to the west
    right now.
    This is helping keep temps from the upper 90s-100 again.

July avg is 73-93 right now!

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

July ave here 89.03-68.74 ave July is 83.4-63.6 so way above, still not the total growth of last summer. last summer June was warmer and Last year in May we had about a week where it was hazy and mid 80s. That week really got things going here earlier than usual

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Andy so you had to water everyday for a month? I'm assuming you used city water right? If so did you find city water less affective then rain water? Also man you gotta post some pics for us since yall have gone all tropical on us.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

Great to hear you're getting good rains along with that heat. Unfortunately, we're still absent of rain. I got 2" from a storm on July 8. Other than that, I'm less than 1" since the beginning of May. Most lawns here are scorched as my wallet will be after paying the next water bill. Heat isn't the problem. Local news just said tonight that this is now the hottest July ever, passing up July 2010 which held the title for one year. We hit 104F today and have now had at least 93F for 12 straight days. Looks like it will continue too...

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

We've been getting those big tropical downpours here once in a while. Though not enough for me. Fortunately we have had enough rain that even with the extended dry periods were still even or just slightly ahead. When it has rained here in storms though, it has REALLY REALLY rained. Were talking sometimes 2-4+ inches in just an hour or two. Better than nothing. Just wish it would do it alittle more frequently, but Ill take not having a drought though. =o) My big 7 foot pigmy date palm seems to be loving this the most, along with my musa basjoos. The P. Roebellenii is now blooming for the 2nd straight summer! =o)

• User
    12 years ago

Atmosphere seems to be juicing up here as well. Not extreme heat as last week, but low 90's at least for the next week with HUMID conditions and a fair amount of TS activity. Drought had been getting established here so glad there was some rain but also less than I would have liked. Nova, mine started to bloom for the first time about three years ago (also about 7 feet). It should bloom annually for you now. (I had posted a pic last year and a poster had id'ed it as a male date.) This palm suffered spear loss (due to cold) 3 or 4 Winters ago--it sulked the first season of its recovery and then just took off.--I LOVE Phoenix palms (probably have a dozen including canariensis, roebellini, reclinata, recupola, and dactylifera)--can't have an 'oasis' without dates!
    njoasis

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

njoasis, I agree with loving phoenix palms and just like you I like p. carariensis. That will more than likely be my next palm purchase. Will probably keep it as a potted specimen. Can you post some pics or post a link to pics of your phoenixes oasis?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

We got a downpour today! It got very very humid and eventually it did pour (rain rates of over an inch an hour in my yard!). We got .53 inches today and the dew point was in the high 70s and temperatures were actually in the low 80s (basically, this was humidity that gave Florida a run for its money!). Definitely the most humid day of the year because 84F felt uncomfortable! At least we got a lot of rain and I didnt have to water the plants!
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earthworm-
    I do have city water and a lot of the watering I had to do was because of my garden. I have tomatoes, peppers, beans, and giant pumpkins. I did post some picurtes a week or so ago. They were from my phone so they were not the best quality. We went from hot and humid to hot and dry over the weekend. All that rain dried up and I had to water some more. It's amazing how quickly water evaporates when it is sunny, 90, and the hu midity is 39%. Still everything kept up the rapid growth. We had hardly a cloud in the sky all weekend. last night the humidity moved back in. It was 80 by 9:00. Heading to a steamy 93 today with a chance of showers.