Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen Palm Seed Germination

Posted by desertdance Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 9:32

I have a vigorous grape vine that caused me to look up into a queen palm that it was trying to climb up into, and I saw seeds!!

I found seeds in 2 of my palms, and the gardners hacked them down for me.

Now, my big question is how do I get them to grow. I found this site: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP238 and am wondering if it's good advice. I read that queen palm seeds start easier if they are green.

One branch has 13 seeds the size of huge grapes. The other branch has hundreds of seeds much smaller. I have a feeling that the 13 seeds might be riper, and possibly the other branch has not ripened yet. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen Palm Seed Germination

wait until the seeds are orange and feel soft, not hard. Pull and scrape off all the orange stuff until you get to the hard seed inside. It's hard to do, so your fingernails will hate you for a day or so. Soak the seeds in warm water for 3 days, changing the water daily. After that dry the seeds outside for a few hours and sterilize them with alcohol. Put them into a baggie full of moist (not wet) and sterilized sphagnum moss and perlite and put the baggie somewhere like your water heater where it'll get warm but not hot. It may take up to 6 month, but you should get a good germination rate. Pot these up when you see roots forming.

o

Well, they've been soaking in daily changed water now for 3 days, and yesterday I noticed these long green things emerging from the part where they were connected to the branch. Hmmmmm Are these roots or leaves? Dilemma!

o

If they come out of one of the 3 "eyes" near where they connected to the tree, they are leaves and ready to plant. If they come from somewhere else, they might be roots (I think they are leaves though) and they are also ready to plant. Congrats on your new queen palms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here