Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trachycarpus maximus?

Posted by Davis1004 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 9:36

The lady in the picture brought a 3 gallon Trachycarpus home from a local sale in 2006 and I planted it for her. The picture here was taken in January of this year. I have several Trachys in my yard. I have grown 3 or 4 different species of them from seed and most of the ones I have planted out have grown well - but this palm of hers is incredible. It's become a joke. After 8 years of explosive growth the original leaves have finally turned brown. It has flowered and produced seed for the past 3 years. I don't know of any other flowering Trachys within 5 miles of this palm and I wonder if a female palm will produce infertile seed without a pollinator. I tried sprouting a handful and got no germination at all. This palm is so contrary to my experience and reading that I have to brag about it a little. What's going on here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trachycarpus maximus?

Hey Davis1004---- I have been lurking on this board for quite awhile and always thought of joining, but putting it off
until another time. When I saw the Trachycarpus maximus
photo my mouth dropped, joined the forum so that I could comment on it. Although I don't see any others beside my own (Trachys) in the Chicago area, I have seen them in Europe and other parts of the U.S.A., but never saw any that robust and stately, especially an 8 year old specimen. You've earned the right to brag.

o

Wow, that is quite an incredible palm for sure! I have never seen trachys grow so fast! Do you have any pics of it growing up?
I got my trachy has a small 3 gallon palm in 2009 and it is NO WHERE near that size. The tallest fronds are almost up to my shoulders on mine, and that's with winter protection and fertilizer! If the offspring from that plant have as good of a growth rate as its mother, I think a lot of people would be interested in having such a beautiful and robust trachy. It's pretty rare for a trachy to keep so many old fronds, it must be very very happy.
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Lynn has been flattered at the attention her palm has gotten. A separate inquiry I made last week returned an explanation that a female Trachy can produce fruit WITHOUT the presence of male flowers though it will affect the fertility of the seed. So, I will continue to try to sprout fresh seed on a larger scale and make any sprouts available on eBay. We didn't start taking pictures of this plant until it started to flower in April 2011. There was nothing at all special about the site selection or preparation. It was as thoughtless as any of our adventures, but she added some soil on top of the trunk a few years ago when she saw some exposed roots. She may have mulched it with horse manure once, but that's about the only special care it may have gotten.

o

December 2011

o

What state is she located? It must be a warm zone 8 for such great growth.

o

We are in zone 8a, but very close to 7b. Just 30 miles SE of Charlotte, NC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here