Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Chamaerops humilis in bloom

User
13 years ago

This plant has become an annual bloomer. This is kind of after the peak (which was in May or June--don't remember now). This one is quite big and prickly. It is containerized--a smaller 'Vulcan' variety of Med. Fan is planted in the front--both are in very hot/sunny locations. I would consider planting it in the ground eventually because it's in the largest tub I have and I don't want it to go into eventual decline being confined to a pot. Just wish I know how to separate all those suckers from the mother plant! Ouch!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's not the right picture.--Just should be the one. Here goes...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

It looks great! Nothing says a palm tree is happy more than some healthy blooms!
    Thanks for sharing!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like these palms--very drought tolerant species. They should be hardy in zone 7 as long as you grow them in a well drained soil (sand, raised bed) in our wet winter climate. Ever notice how they are almost NEVER available in the big box stores--too prickly I guess for where most people in the North put there palms (the living room)--where mine NEVER goes.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I dont see them for sale here too often and I agree, its probably because of the thorns. Mine isnt in a raised bed so when it rains, unfortunately, it gets soaked, but I do plan on keeping it free of moisture from early october to mid march so it stays very dry during the winter. Keeping it dry, and some x-mas lights in its protection should get it along just fine. I really like these palms. I enjoy them even when I see them in florida (among more tropical trees!).
    Good luck!
    Alex

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Only a couple of days ago when I said they weren't sold at HD. Well, guess what, went there this morning and saw a few nice big ones--anywhere from 18 inches for a squat multi suckering one, to a couple near solitaries with trunks (guessing 3.5-4 feet). Believe it or not, I almost passed it by--I have one really large Med fan, and one much smaller 'Vulcan' variety in the ground. Then I remembered that there is a tremendous amount of genetic variation among Chamaerops. I'm looking at the leaves and I realize the leaves look different from my other two. The leaves on this one are very fine and divided almost to the leaf petiole. 'Vulcan' has a very broad leaf--mine looks almost like a Chinese fan it's so broad, and the one I posted above is itermediate between the two. Will post a pic once I transplant from the ugly plastic pot and measure the thing. Oh, I forgot to tell you the price--$12.95!!

• josephine_sc
    13 years ago

Mine get tons of rain all winter but I have a very well draining site - top of a steep hill. I found three at Home Depot dirt cheap one fall and planted them in what I hope will eventually make a mini grove.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

I am in Maryland and the HD I hit has them. I finally capitulated and bought one on clearance yesterday. Ten bucks for a 3g.

I have two others. A small one that was another HD purchase last year. The winter did a job on it but it lives. Then I have a larger one that I bought online. It was shipped barerooted, which is a method I am convinced should go the way of the dodo bird, and it has been stressed all summer. Jury is out on that one.

Now comes #3. Perhaps the law of averages will win out. They are really nice looking palms, perhaps the most attractive of the hardy species. They stack up against most things tropical.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting