Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle palms before and after

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 9:57

Ave temp for July has been 91-72 (normally 84-64 for Detroit area. Only complaint is we need more rain. Here is a before and after shot for My bottles. the 1st pic was taken on 6-20 and the 2nd one last night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle palms before and after

Wow it's amazing what 1 new frond can do to a smaller palm. Your bottles look great by the way. What type of sabal is that in the green pot in the background?

o

Thank you for the knind words. I'm probably most proud of my bottle palms because I started them from seed. They have a great deeo maroon color I like to. Honestly I don't remember what kind of sabal it is. I think just a Sabal Minor. It's a slow grower. It just started pushing up its first new summer spear a few days ago. I've decided to just keep it potted. In the right window I can still see some growth in the winter.

o

That's amazing that you started those bottles from seed! How old are they? They must be pretty old to be that size. I know they're slow growers if they'r anything like spindle palms. My spindles only used to push out 1 frond a summer, and they'd always get sunburnt, so I decided to send them to the compost. Yours look great though.

As for the Minor, mine are on their first frond of the summer. Not sure why it took them so long to get growing, especially with this hot summer we're having. One of them pushed out 5 fronds last summer, and my Louisiana did even more.

I remember you used to have a nice sized Robusta. Have you decided to try another one?

o

I can't remember exactly when I started the bottles. My best guess is that I started them the winter of 07-08 on a heat mat annd next to a south facing window. Typically I get about two full fronds a summer and a new spear that doesn't do much all winter I do have two Filifera plants that I started in the 10-11 winter. They are now about a foot tall and are really shooting up in this heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here