Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Use your imagination.....

jimhardy
10 years ago

..and a time machine.

I really have a fondness for these trees.

This one is over 9' right now,foot and a half
from this season.

Comments (8)

• subtropix
    10 years ago

Jim, is that the Big Tree Sequoia? --I did not realize that they would be hardy to zone 5. I grow some relations to it--Metasequoia (dawn Reds) and Taxodium (Bald Cyress). I do have a small, containerized Coastal Redwood---tempting to put it into the ground as I now have an area in the far back (having eliminated a grove of Black and Golden Bamboo (don't ask)! Will have an opening in front in the Fall as I am planning on removing a sickly Red Maple, but would be afraid of something so tall, close to the house (especially as it seems we are in the new hurricane belt!).

(Expecting mid to upper 90's all week with ocassionally torrential downpours as Bermuda high goes strong this year.)

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

Looks great, very healthy. I think your street is gonna have some problems if your tree grows to maturity LOL.

• 3.2Whites
    10 years ago

Ooooh!!! I love your baby big tree! It might eat your sidewalk and house but still I love it soo much!!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

Those trees are so majestic (both sequoiadendron species, the coastal and the giant sequoia.) Have you seen them in person? They're truly a sight to behold. I'm lucky enough to live an hour's drive from the groves of Giant Sequoia trees in Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite NP and Sequoia NP, and two hours from old growth coastal redwood groves. Just last week I was in Big Basin Redwood Park. Here are a couple of pictures from that hike. It's like walking among giants. Branches occur at high elevations and so all you see are these massive trunks shooting into the sky at ground level.

And this tree was interesting! The trunk was hollow in the middle. I took the picture standing in the middle of the trunk looking up. Notice you can see right to the top of the tree.

If you ever get a chance, you will need to check out the General Sherman tree and the Grizzly Giant. Those trees are by far my favorite. The Bachelor and three Graces is pretty neat as well. As far as the coastal redwoods go, the Father of the Forest and Mother of the Forest are easily accessible and some of the tallest in Central California. The really tall ones are further north.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you guys!

The tree is a Sequoia..the coast Redwood is not very hardy at all
    and would begin to have serious issues once temps drop below the mid 20s(F)unfortunately ) :

Central

If that split tree is the one in Big Basin Park,I actually sat and meditated inside it-had some cool experiences in that park...
    eyes opened and closed (-: to say it is a magical place is to redefine the word for those that visit the old growth forest where they live.

Avenue of the giants is the place I found truly spectacular,old giants everywhere not just spread apart so you had to walk to find them-
    the road also winds between them,has to be the most surreal experience you can have on a road....driving past trees that dwarf your car and then eventually if you visit the Chandelier tree....driving right through one!

I brought some little Redwoods home from the gift shop there but they dried up inside my place when I was out of town for 2 weeks 0 :

This is a coast redwood just to be clear ( :

You my think this tree is unhealthy because it is cut but it is one of the most beautiful trees you will see and one of the very rare ones you can just about see the top of because it is not inside the forest( :

enough to see these trees!

• corbeano
    10 years ago

That's awesome. I'm over here in Des Moines and was thinking of trying a sequoia myself. I saw that you grow some bananas as well? What ones have worked best for you? I have a basjoo going on it's third year and all I do is pile some mulch on top if it for the winter.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea,basjoo...I don't even mulch it.

Just about any of them will do well if we have our usual warmth and ample rain...thats always the trick though...

The Sequoia will need help the first couple years(windshield/cover)
    after that,they should have sufficient sap to get them through but I suppose a bad winter could kill the roots-that is probably the weakest point.

• corbeano
    9 years ago

How'd your sequoia and basjoo make it through the winter? I'm assuming your winter was as brutal as ours.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz