Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fin2ya

Coconut after winter

Tuija
10 years ago

Summer is a wonderful season indeed. My coconut palm is also of the same opinion. I'm excited. Or what do you guys think? This is the third new leaf this year. Zone 4 .. pretty well so far. I took a bit of time (+ one dead coconut) how to take care of coconut palms in the winter. I ... we survived. Yippi-yai-yee LOL :D

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

That's looking very healthy, congrats.

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's your fault and andy andy, and US-marine, and tropicalzone7 and many others who care for coconut palms. Thank you! I have read your instructions on how to care for coconut. Thank you very much. I'm really grateful for your advice. I hope there will still have many good years until the ceiling is reached :D

• User
    10 years ago

That's terrific--show them Floridians a thing or two about growing coconuts!

Do you know what kind of coconut it is? My preference is the dwarfs or semi-dwarfs as the leaves divide when the palm is still small, and not pushing through the ceiling.

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is how it looked a year ago when I bought it. I think that it is Jamaica tall and dwarf hybris. It is really hard to try to figure out the right species. Maybe some day :D

• us_marine
    10 years ago

Nice coco! Yeah its not easy telling the variety. And I've never seen one here marked by its variety. They all say coconut palm. I'm thinking yours is a tall of some type but i'm no expert. Most of the coco's i've ever had or seen are golden malayans. I've always wanted to try a green variety or tall but never had any luck with them. Not sure why but i figure the golden malayan tolerate my desert like climate better.Ones of these days though. lol. good luck! keep us updated.

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great looking coco. Very nice and healthy! Do you bring it outdoors at all? Looks like it is probably a dwarf that hasn't been grown in full sun, but it definitely could be a tall. I personally have no preference in coconut palm varieties, both are great!
    Good luck, looks like you have already had a lot of success.
    Thanks for sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant Blog!

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@us-marine:I've always wanted to try a golden malayan or may-pan, but never had find them. In this country, sold only in the variety which I already have.

@tropicalzone7: Yes I will take it out to my balcony whenever it is warm enough and the sun is shining. My balcony is really hot in the summer. The balcony is 2 concrete walls and the roof is also made âÂÂâÂÂof concrete. Large living room windows heats up the hot sun quite nicely. Coconut likes it and all the other plants and palm trees. My 9 years old C. elegans can only be out late at night when the sun does not shine anymore to my balcony.

Thanks for the link. You have really beautiful plants in there.

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found this page. What you think about it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut varieties

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

That page has a lot of really interesting information, definitely goes a lot further into coconut palm info than I know about. I personally don't think that growing the rarer varieties that are more dwarf in nature are more worth growing than the more common dwarf palms as potted plants because the common varieties are probably the easiest to care for which is definitely helpful when you are growing cocos up north.

Very nice C. elegans! Those are great palms. I take mine outside during the summer in full shade, it's very happy indoors too though.

-Alex

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with you. It is easier to grow well-known varieties. Can you, or someone else, tell me how long it takes before that palm leaf is mature leaf? About a month ago I noticed that it started to split. And then the second question. The seed / nut. How long does it take to disappear? Now it is half-cracked already? Thanks!

Tuija

• Tuija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today was the hottest day of the summer. My balcony was no longer able to sit in because it was too hot. Humidity was very low. Fortunately, the humidity of the night it will rise to about 70%

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County