Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

100 or Bust!

andyandy
12 years ago

I bought my first palms in 2004. Bad timing as I think we maybe hit 90 once that summer. 2005 ended up being one of the hottest summers on record. Since I bought those first palms it has never hit 100 here. We hit 99 back on July 2nd. Before that we have hit 97 a couple of times in the past 7 years but today we have a real chance at the magical 100 degree mark. It is currently 90 and the dew point is 74. It is unbelieveably hot. it was 88 at 11:00 last night. I think the heat index is already over 100. Come on 100, if it's going to be this hot it may as well hit the magical number.

Comments (30)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We were 97 @ noon yesterday and easily made it(-:

Not fun to be outside though!

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

11:52 update 92, dew point 75

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Well into the 90s right now and tomorrow should be getting to 102 which is 1F away from an all time record high (not counting last years 105F). Heat index values are suppose to be in the 110'sF which is such an unreal number to me!

Dew points are crazy! There was a cloud of fog by me yesterday morning because of the high dew points and the windows were also fogged up much more than usual. Today dew points are in the mid 70s and it should be getting higher for tomorrow!

-Alex

• User
    12 years ago

93 F/Dew Point 73 at 12:00 going to 98 F. Just came in after doing some work. It didn't feel that bad as there was a bit of a breeze. Kind of reminds me of Miami--except unusual for it rise too much above this point down there--so too, in a normal South Florida summer, there are sporadic thundershowers throughout the entire day--esp. in the afternoon, and that can temporarily bring temps down into the upper 70's. And an abundance of clouds also cools it off. People have a hard time believing that it is actually hotter and more uncomfortable in the Midwest, MidAtlantic and Northeast today than Miami. (The climate in the north and central part of the peninsula is VERY different by the way.) I don't actually mind those hot/wet summers (everything is air conditioned anyway.) But hate these drought conditions that seem to be spreading. Not good at all for the second year in a row!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow! Local forecast of tomorrow's max temp upped to 102 F. (with heat index of 110 or greater)-- Currently 95 F, Dewpont 71, and Heat Index 102F. Getting dangerous now.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

2:05 update, 97 hum 47% dew point 74, heat index 108, we may stall here because some clouds are moving in.

After the rain Monday and then this heat I have seen maybe the fastest growth I ever have. My green dwarf has pushed up a new spear. I don't know what it fell to last night but it was 80 at 6:55 this morning.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

According to my weather, its 99 here. Hot!

• User
    12 years ago

100 F./107 Heat Index. Didn't think it would get there today due to clouds. Thought some thunderstorms would pop but...nothing.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

we have had 15 days above 100 and the 7 day forecast has nothing below 100. Our actual 10 days ago was 107. My musa basjoo is putting out a new full leaf every 3 days. It absolutely loves this heat. We usually dont get this many 100's till august.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

5:45pm (temp)97F(dewpoint)79F(heat index)115F

Another beautiful day o:

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

A little past 9 pm... temp is 92 - humidity is 75% and dewpoint is 82 - heat index of 111!

• User
    12 years ago

After 10:00 pm, actual temp. is 91, Heat Index at 101--at that's in wooded suburbs! Newark was 103 F and going to 105 F tomorrow. (NYC's highest on record was 106 F. at hopefully that won't be broken.)

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

101 here today. Supposed to be 101-105 (actual air temp) with heat index going to 115-120. The heat index today was 110. Our dew points are running 80-83F. That is like the AMAZON. Its not so much the temp as it is how stifling it feels because of the extreme humidity. Its so humid that the windows fog up on the outside. Thank goodness this does not happen here very often. Our normal summers are bad enough with the high heat and humidity but this is ridiculous. Dew points in the 80s almost NEVER EVER happens here.

• cfa_li
    12 years ago

My high was only 95 (sea breeze kinda showed up) however the heat index made it to 109 so I didn't really miss anything lol.

It's still in the upper 80's and it's 3:30 AM, we're already off to a headstart with the heat, so I think 100+ is a given for today, possibly Saturday too.

• User
    12 years ago

Currently, on the launch pad, we have 83 F. (Heat Index 90 F), Dew Point mid 70's. Going to103 F. with heat index in excess of 115 F. (think that'll break a record).

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

maxed out at 99 but with the dew point at 76 the heat index was 108. Downtown Detroit did hit 102 and had a heat index of 115. That said this was the hottest day I can remember. The last time it hit 100 at Detroit Metro Airport (really in Romulus) was 1995 (Metro airport is what is reported as Detroit's official temperature). I did not know what a dew point was then but I can not imagine it felt hotter. The worst has moved on. It fell to 70 was 81 same time yesterday) last night so it was actually warmer in the house than outside. Heading to low 90s today with some storms.

• cfa_li
    12 years ago

Topped out at 106 with a heat index was in the 120's.

Great Washingtonia & Sabal weather lol.

• User
    12 years ago

108 F. in Newark NJ in the shade with Dew point around 70, Heat Index of 115. F.--Just like the Persian Gulf in August. Chilling down to 100 F tomorrow. More heat throughout next week. I did some gardening outside this morning. Even early in the morning, it was like working in a steam room. Tropicals are doing okay but they do much better with tropical wet weather than in this extremely humid, extremely hot but extremely ARID weather.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Its raining and has cooled down to about 76 here. My plants are getting a good soak.

-Hunter

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Official was 102 today. I got 104 in the shade on the digital thermometer. Our LOW last night was 84. Dew points in the low 80s. YUK!

• User
    12 years ago

Today, the wind direction was west/northwest. That really got these temps up on the coastal plain. When air masses descend the Appalachians they compress and heat up. This is the East coast approximation to a Santa Ana--except it's not necessarily 'windy'. Usually, when this happens it's a "dry" heat. What was unusual (other than the extreme high heat), was that such HUMID air would arrive from the west/northwest. That's being blamed on everything from the Spring flooding in the heartland to sweaty corn in Iowa (transpiration). Normally, the tropical HUMID air masses approach from either the south or southeast

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Official was once again 102 today. I got 103 here at home. At least tonight its actually supposed to go into the mid 70s for lows for a change, and the dewpoints are going back down into the low 70s as opposed to low 80s. Tomorrow is only supposed to be 93-97. Yeah, ONLY. LOL! After the past 5 days or so, 93 will almost feel slightly cool. =o)

njoasis, you guys get that type of heating all the way out there? we have 5,000 foot peaks off to our west, and we definitely get that kind of compression heating with west to w/nw winds in summer. Sometimes even when its cold it will heat up a little to take the bit out of the cold. The one thing I have noticed with this particular heat wave, that no matter which direction the winds have come from, it has been HOT HOT HOT and INCREDIBLY humid. Like Amazon humid. Looking forward to at least 2-3 days or so of low 90s, maybe even upper 80s if were lucky. Then its right back up to near 100 again late next week.

• User
    12 years ago

Nova, don't forget that those mountains in Virginia are part of the Appalachian range. In Pa, they are known as The Poconos and top out at 2700 feet. In The NYS, they are known as the Catskills and top out at nearly 4,200 feet. So yes, it has some influence on the weather of the coastal plain--which is where most people live. Some of the most extreme high temps are when the air flow is west/northwest. But as I said, it's normally a DRY HEAT direction--Not this time though. I guess in the Winter, it can take some of the bit out of real Arctic air masses, and it also means that the infamous "Lake Effect Snows" of Buffalo, Chicago, etc., do not occur here.--Of course, the nor'easters MORE than make up for it!

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The heat wave here has subsided for a couple of days. We are actually supposed to drop below 70 tonight for the first time since a week ago Friday. The numbers for the stetch (8 days) are ave high 93.38 ave low 73.38 ave temp 83.38. I know a lot of places were warmer but for most of the palms I have that is probably ideal growing conditions. Coconuts are not originally from palces like Dallas where it's been 100 every day and 80 every night so I don't know that mine would necessarily have done better there or places like that. Both of my coconuts put up new spears and they are coming up fast. It was really ideal this weekend both days hazy and humid and about 90 with lows around 73. I hope August keeps it up. We are supposed to be back in the 90s with lows in the 70s by Thursday. The next three days are supposed to be less humid and mid-high 80s with high 60s at night.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Well, the big, long heat wave broke late last week finally. Mostly to the low 90s, with one day around 89 even. It did come back some the past 2-3 days with upper 90s, and capped out today with our hottest day of the year so far. Official high today was 104F, many places were around 106F. Fortunately it is again supposed to back off to at least the mid 90s starting tomorrow, and remain that way for the next 5-7 days at least. Also the heat index was lower today, around 110 -115F (as opposed to the 123F from last week) as our dewpoints were only in the low 70s this time as opposed to low 80s last week. My big 7 foot tall P. Roebellenii sure seems to love the hot tho. It is blooming for the 2nd straight summer right now! =o)

Njoasis, Yeah I'm very familliar with the Appalachians. I just never really thought that they would really affect the weather more than a couple hundred miles east of them. I know down here the Allegheny "rain shadow" stops just west of DC, and the heating from compressed air usually does not make it across the Chesapeake bay down here, and usually the heating from compression is the most pronounced for cities that are closer to them like DC than say, philly. The Allegheny front is MUCH more pronounced and unbroken form Western MD down to SW VA / Western NC. What I mean is while there are peaks of over 4,500-6,600 feet, the average height, esp in Eatern WV is the highest there is in the east. Example, you can travel along the Allegheny front for hundreds of miles, and rarely, if ever drop below 3,500 - 4,000 feet, save for a few gaps here and there. The high plateaus of Eastern WV are generally not below 4,000 feet, and top out around 5,000 feet. Those things are so large in area they substantially affect the climates to the E/SE of them. We do once in a while get lake affect snows here, but it has to be an EXTREMELY powerful cold front to overcome that rain / snow shadow, and even when it does, we usually get a dusting to maybe 1-2" from those lake affect snows. I remember one time last winter were lake affect snows made it all the way down to going off the coast of MD and into the ocean. THAT was an amazing thing to see those snow ribbons stretching that long from the lakes!

Those "mountains" in PA, well, those are pretty small, and the chains up there are not very wide. Down in this part of the chain, the "mountains" start about 40 miles west of DC, and don't stop again until you are about in Ohio.

Maybe its just me but I consider things under 3,000 feet to be just very large hills, or tiny mini mountains. lol! The "Big" mountains (4,500 feet and higher) well most of those are either in eastern WV, W/SW VA, Western, NC and extreme eastern TN, and a few in the far northeast like NH and ME. Contrary to what most people think many of the highest peaks east of the Mississippi, and well, the Rockies for that matter are in fact in soutwestern VA and Western NC. In SW, VA they top out at the highest peak in VA at Mt. Rogers at 5,729 feet, and the highest peak in the eastern US is Mt. Mitchell at 6,684 feet. Can't tell you how many times I hear people thinking that Mount Washington in NH is the highest peak in the east. Its up there for sure, but is about 400 feet shorter. =o) Sorry for going off topic. Make me sure feel nice and cool to talk about mountains though! We were just up in the highlands of WV last weekend about 4,500 feet up, and while it was 98F and swealtering here, it was a nice 65F and very VERY windy up there. Almost chilly enough for a jacket! When the sun went down it went down into the 40s while back here in DC it didnt get past 80F for the low. SO incredibly nice break from the heat up there! =o)

• theyardman
    12 years ago

The Hottest Temperature ever recorded in Michigan is 114 deg F at Mio, MI.

We also had a string of 6/7 days above 100F in 1988. We reached an actual temperature of 107F in Detroit, 109F in Warren, MI. Look at Accuweather.com archives of temperatures.

Fascinating. Detroit also hit 100F every year for 7 years, or 9 out of 11 years in late 70's and early 80's.

I guess it just been a long stretch without 100F-plus.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yardman-
    I graduated from high school in 88 so I remember that summer well. I found a farmers almanac website where you can enter a zip code and find the high and low temps for any day starting in 1945. I looked up June 12th 1988 (the day of my graduation). It was 88 next two days 95 and 96. I went all through July, first few days were 80s and then it started to look like 96 98 98 102 102. It was wicked and that was before my parents ever had central air.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

106F here yesterday(Aug 2)heat index was in the 120s for a while.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

July 2011 was the hottest month on record, EVER, here in the Washington Metropolitan area. 26 days of 90 or better, 15 days of 95 or better, and 6 days of 100 or better, actual air temps that officially capped out at 104F. Many places that day though were in fact higher than 104. I got 106 that day here, which seemed to be the norm for most places away from the river.

Thankfully that nasty heat is mostly gone, and we even had a day in the upper 70s, with lots of rain this week! So nice of a change. Mainly this week has been upper 80s. I think one day we touched 90. We aren't supposed to see 90 again until Sunday. =o)

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Much cooler here but we still have not had a high under 80 since last week of June. I thought yesterday might stall at 79 but I guess it did hit 81 (a humid 81) Nect three days are supposed to be high 80s but all of next week they are forecasting highs 80-82 and lows 61-63. Finally the central air will get a break.