Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

At it again-and a few pics.

jimhardy
11 years ago

I knew these guys had buds again but they sure will surprise you if your not aware that they have opened.

This is the 3rd separate time these have bloomed.

Never seen the Rose Mallow blooming in June before!

Why do Poppies(packages) always say-blooms the second year???

New mulch sure pretty's things up!

I used Cedar arpund the palms-some of the smaller ones

still battle with WSM and this dry weather is no help-

maybe white spider mites don't like Cedar like most bugs???

7' bloomstalk on the Hesperaloe this year!

Some small banana plants

Mekong "giant"

Beautiful Rajapuri from Bill in Mass-

these really grow fast when happy but don't get to big...beautiful color on leaves and stem-almost blue.

Ensete Glaucum

These do not appear to like heat as their leaves always curl-this one was a one inch stump

all winter that I cut because it was dying back-nice recovery this year!

E.Ventricosum

I think this is the fastest Ensete-at least in my experience.

Here it is on 5-5-12

And 6-28-12...it's only July..was going to say June(-: he's a little crammed but we'll cut him out a spot!

No Mickey mouse ears yet on this Alocasia Mickey mouse(Xanthosoma)

Siam

Philodendron "Hype" o.k. it's really "Hope" and a Corpse lily I am trying in a sunnier location.

Beautiful Nainital,among friends.

Speaking of Corpse lilies-these are taking the sting out of possibly losing

most the T.ferns(the Cooperi may wait until next year to die,or come back),they are such interesting plants.

Last one-this pic is almost a month old-

Madagascar "palm" has a 30" + crown!

[IMG]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm220/orbea641/Spring%202012%20continued/6-6-13030.jpg[/IMG]

Click for weather forecast

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great pics! Your yard already is looking like a jungle! I like the Ensete Glacum and Raja Puri bananas, I'll have to try them next year. So far my Ensete Maurelli has been fast with leaf growth but not too impressive with height growth (It was already tall when I got it, but I would like it to get to 10 feet by fall!)
    Great looking cannas! Mine are starting to bloom now after overwintering in the ground very well (a little too well even since now I will have to divide them in the fall!)
    The corpse lilies look great and are definitely a nice replacement for the tree ferns, although I can imagine exactly how bad you feel about the tree ferns since I have lost my share of them. I lost a beautiful Australian Tree fern 2 years ago during a dry day in October and had a lot of damage to my Dicksonia during a dry day in October. Apparently october is not a good month for tree ferns in my yard! At least the Dicksonia is recovering, but it doesnt look anywhere near as nice as it did last year!

The Madagascar palm looks nice too! Mine is finally making a flush and it's growing fast now! I dont know how long I'll have to wait for blooms, but I cant wait for that!

Thanks for sharing! You have a great collection of palms, cacti, succulents, and other tropicals!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex

My Ensetes always take until the second year to hit 10'.

The E.Ventricosum may be 8' this year though,the way its growing.

Don't know what to make of the T.ferns,I have heard of them taking more than a year to recover though so,
    even though they are stumps, they are still green and I will still protect them.

Just think,when the Madagascar palms do bloom,they will branch.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Good to know that about ensetes. Mine grew really fast the first year I had them, but I lost that one to aphids so Im hoping this one grows just as fast, so far it seems to be a little on the slow growing side.

I probably should have given my T. Fern another chance, but mine had no green at all on it. I would definitely give yours another year to see what happens!

And I do like it when Madagacar palms are unbranched so I guess I can wait a little while for blooms! They do look interesting when they are branched though!

-Alex

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

As far as Ensete, I do find that Glaucum doesn't like heat, and slows down with temps in the 90s, while Maurelli grow faster in the same weather, but they too seem to have slowed down, although not as much. We've been at 90 degrees or hotter for daytime highs for several consecutive days now, and we're supposed to continue that trend at least through next weekend. It's turning out to be a very hot summer...

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

nice plants ! i really like the succulents especially the pachypodium ! do you have protection for it in the winter ?
    i personally like my pachypodiums unbranched.

and nice echinocereus flowers ! ive never had any of mine bloom though...

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Micro

Some cactus require cold winter temps to bloom.

I cover all the planted stuff except the more tender cactus
    like the Cereus.Torch cactus and Pachys-they all come in
    as they are potted still.

I think the Glaucum likes it a little cooler and even the Abyssinian does not like it above 90F,so far though the
    Ventricosum seems o.k. with the heat but it does get afternoon
    shade,so not quite sure-but i do think it is faster than the other 2,by the end of the month it will be as big
    as my Abyssinian got the first year!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heres the Maddy

June 6th-I need a fresh pic-buts it scary outside!

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice pics Jim, your trachys look great. Cannot wait to see how big your naners get. Mine are really dragging this year.

• kaotickelly
    11 years ago

Awesome pictures you really do take care of them and nice yard too.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank Kao

Chad

My Nanars are slow this year too,except the Rajapuri
    but they are moving now-I don't think they have a choice
    when the temps are 75/80 at night and 95/100+ during the day!

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Jim, nice job!
    Your Hesperaloe blooms look a lot different than mine. What species is yours? Mine is H. parvifolia, sometimes called a "Red Yucca' although it's not a Yucca at all. There's also a yellow variety but I don't have that. Here's a photo of mine I just took the other day.

Here's a visitor who stayed on my true yucca (Y. recurvifolia) for quite a while.

{{gwi:5901}}

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are exactly the same-I wish I had the yellow one on the other side,that would be nice!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!