Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
7 random shots

Posted by dixieboy z8 innercoast NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 11:21

Took this one that caught my eye out of many palmettos in this community near little Washington NC, small & compact in stature making a nice landscape specimen.
Photobucket

Also near little Washington, cypress & spanish moss that screams the south.
Photobucket

Typical around the neighborhood in Morehead City.
Photobucket

Shrimp trawler headed into our community harbor with another load of succlant brown southern shrimp to help satisfy Americas seafood appetite.
Photobucket

Did a little trimming on our cycas.
Photobucket

Our butia soak'in up some sun.
Photobucket

Our native live oaks, love'um! Hope you enjoyed the random shots!!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 7 random shots

Awesome pics! It definitely looks exactly like the the south should! Its pretty interesting how from Northern Florida all the way to North Carolina, the forests do look kind of similar!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Sago & Butia are super nice!

o

Alex, north Florida yes, it's when you get deep in the peninsula where we get lost in it's dust!! lol Thanks.

o
RE: 7 random shots-Jim

Thanks, always appreciate your compliments & com'in from a man with the green thumb too!!! lol

o

Great looking pindo, hope mine gets that big one day. Amazing what you can grow only a few hours away.

o

Indeed. That Pindo is to die for.

o

I enjoyed all the shots, but really liked that handsome butia. It looks so healthy, wonder what type it is - how old is it? Did you try the fruit?

I have the butia yatay.

o

Is that the Pamlico River in the background? Beautiful pics. Do you ever get any gators in the area?

o
RE: 7 random shots-Chad

Thanks Chad, the butia is a pleasure to have around, i'm glad for at least a little variety in palms, you keep at it, time will do wonders for you!

o
RE: 7 random shots-Jack

Thanks, love my butia, should have planted a few more back in the day!! lol

o

• Posted by butiaman 8a Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 18:58

dixieboy,
Gotta love that Butia and those Cycads.It's hard to grow both of them even as far south as I live.It's not nessaserly the cold that kills them here,it's the winter rain and cold.We get most of our rain during the winter months.Summertime here is very hot very humid with very little rain,except when those thunderstorms come through that dont do anything any good.Love the pics.as usual.
Randy

o
RE: 7 random shots-Greg

Glad you enjoyed the pics, i think i planted it maybe around '80' give or take a few years in a small container. It's just your run of the mill type butias you find in the trade & i should have 2 clumps of fruit ready within days now & just before they begin to fall is when i eat, they are very good, like a orange-banana blend with fiber that's good for the body.

o
RE: 7 random shots-Protemps

Actually it's the Pungo & Pamlico rivers you see from our place & yes anywhere the water gets to be on the fresher side you can look for a gator resident, they are saying there's a 7 to 8 footer up this creek but we are on the salty side, i personally really havn't seen any sign of one right here.

o
RE: 7 random shots-Randy

It's the same here except we most likely will stay a bit milder in the winter months. Now if we both had a climate like St.Simons on the 'Georgie' coast you might see a few queens be'in tried!! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here