Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

7 random shots

dixieboy
12 years ago

Took this one that caught my eye out of many palmettos in this community near little Washington NC, small & compact in stature making a nice landscape specimen.

{{gwi:1146430}}

Also near little Washington, cypress & spanish moss that screams the south.

{{gwi:1134480}}

Typical around the neighborhood in Morehead City.

{{gwi:1137163}}

Shrimp trawler headed into our community harbor with another load of succlant brown southern shrimp to help satisfy Americas seafood appetite.

{{gwi:1146431}}

Did a little trimming on our cycas.

{{gwi:1143429}}

Our butia soak'in up some sun.

{{gwi:1129654}}

Our native live oaks, love'um! Hope you enjoyed the random shots!!

{{gwi:1119717}}

Comments (14)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Awesome pics! It definitely looks exactly like the the south should! Its pretty interesting how from Northern Florida all the way to North Carolina, the forests do look kind of similar!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Sago & Butia are super nice!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex, north Florida yes, it's when you get deep in the peninsula where we get lost in it's dust!! lol Thanks.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, always appreciate your compliments & com'in from a man with the green thumb too!!! lol

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Great looking pindo, hope mine gets that big one day. Amazing what you can grow only a few hours away.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Indeed. That Pindo is to die for.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I enjoyed all the shots, but really liked that handsome butia. It looks so healthy, wonder what type it is - how old is it? Did you try the fruit?

I have the butia yatay.

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Is that the Pamlico River in the background? Beautiful pics. Do you ever get any gators in the area?

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chad, the butia is a pleasure to have around, i'm glad for at least a little variety in palms, you keep at it, time will do wonders for you!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, love my butia, should have planted a few more back in the day!! lol

• butiaman
    12 years ago

dixieboy,
    Gotta love that Butia and those Cycads.It's hard to grow both of them even as far south as I live.It's not nessaserly the cold that kills them here,it's the winter rain and cold.We get most of our rain during the winter months.Summertime here is very hot very humid with very little rain,except when those thunderstorms come through that dont do anything any good.Love the pics.as usual.
    Randy

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the pics, i think i planted it maybe around '80' give or take a few years in a small container. It's just your run of the mill type butias you find in the trade & i should have 2 clumps of fruit ready within days now & just before they begin to fall is when i eat, they are very good, like a orange-banana blend with fiber that's good for the body.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually it's the Pungo & Pamlico rivers you see from our place & yes anywhere the water gets to be on the fresher side you can look for a gator resident, they are saying there's a 7 to 8 footer up this creek but we are on the salty side, i personally really havn't seen any sign of one right here.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's the same here except we most likely will stay a bit milder in the winter months. Now if we both had a climate like St.Simons on the 'Georgie' coast you might see a few queens be'in tried!! lol