Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Another ID

Feel like a bouncer at a nightclub yet?

I have had a larger scale version this picture as one of my wallpapers for my computer for about 6 months now. I absolutely LOVE the arching palm on the left. Given the suggested location of the picture, I'm guessing this is going to be a zone 10 or 11 palm. I would love to know for sure so I can finally put it out of my mind as being a viable option for my house as I am not big on zone pushing and prefer plants that do well naturally in my area.

Many tanks! And jeeps too.

{{gwi:1146436}}

Comments (7)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Which one are you talking about? Only palms I see are coconut palms. Zone 10 or higher for sure.
    If you wanted one you could zone push it a lot easier than you think. But it still would be a lot of work and they get big fast.

- US_Marine

• catkim
    11 years ago

Agreed, that is a Cocos nucifera, not yet trunking.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, okay. Pity you can't grow one to that point and then somehow hit the pause button on it! Thanks again.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

That actually may be a "Majesty Palm" which can be found at any store that sells plants!

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

it is definitely a coconut palm, and if your in a zone 9a then it has no chance of surviving.
    Beccariophoenix alfredii is a palm you should look into. its cold hardy and looks very similar to coconuts.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information, Eric. Yeah, I'm well aware that coconuts won't survive in my area without a fair bit of care. Which kind of bummed me out back in March. My Home Despot was having their Spring Black Friday sale and they had 4 or 5 pallets of 4' coconuts for sale at something like $8 each. I didn't know if I should have cringed or laughed at an older lady nagging her husband to grab six of them to plant around their house (they looked like they could afford the $50 loss).

As for the Alfredi, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for seeds, but I will be avoiding already growing plants. Reading up on them, I found out about their close cousins the madagascariensis and saw that that species is on the brink of extinction in its home environment. Given how recently the alfredi was discovered and the fact that it is in the same country, I don't want to play into the demand scene that ends up bringing about the same results to those.

• catkim
    11 years ago

Commercially available Beccariophoenix alfredii are germinated from seed taken from plants grown and now flowering outside Madagascar. The palm was discovered in 1999 (approximately), and formally named in 2007. You can purchase a seedling in a 4" pot for $6 from Floribunda Palms and Exotics, and need not be concerned about depleting the palm's native habitat.