Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

What palms are growing the fastest?

andyandy
12 years ago

For all you you who have been in this heat wave (and people in the south where it is hot all summer) what palms are you finding are growing the fastest (relative to their own size)? Mine are the Filifera seedlings I started indoors back in March. They've been out since late May and really did nothing until it got hot at the begining of July. They had only the strap leaf when I put them out but some are now working on their 3rd real frond and some of those are splitting. I would say my coconuts are the 2nd fastest follows by my bottles, then Sabal Minor, and Butia. The butia came out of the winter pretty ruff so that may be why.

Comments (13)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

The usual suspects.....

Washys,C.cerifera,Brahea,Sabals.

Do the Banana plants count(-;

• User
    12 years ago

Based on how frequently I have to transplant, I'd say the Butia capitata (Pindo). How did you overwinter the Butia? Outside? Other faster growing ones:

Triangle Palm
    Washingtonia robust (I have no filiferas--maybe some crosses)
    and the Phoenix roebellini (which just went through its annual flowering period)

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

My majesty is putting out a frond right now. Another shoot is coming up too.

-Hunter

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

I can't play in this game. Minimal heat. How bout yall post a pic of your butias?

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Unfortunetly, my pindos are all just cups of dirt right now. They havnt sprouted yet. They will soon though!

-Hunter

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My butia was indoors all winter but for whatever reason it kept losing fronds. I had it in the same window as my tall coconut which did fine but the Butia struggled. My bananas are shooting up faster then anything but I'm looking strictly at Palms.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

2 of my stiff leaf windmills are probably the fastest, followed by my big butia. My butia has always been one of my fastest growers. Seems to open up a new frond every 2 weeks, maybe faster.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

My Trachys are definitely the fastest (2 fronds on the one in shade and at least 3 on the others), and my Sabal Minor is also a fast one (I think 2 fronds from that one). My coconut palm just about finished its first frond of the year and is quickly working on its second (maybe I'll get 4 fronds from it by the end of the summer). My Slowest is my Butia which never grows at all (its alive since its been green for a year and has no spear pull or rotting at all). My butia in full sun (just planted in the ground this year) finished its first frond quickly and is now on its second. I might abandon my other one and protect this one instead.
    My fastest plants are by far the elephant ears, bananas, brugmansia, and cardinal vine.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Don't give up on your Butia....
    They can take a while to acclimate.
    Mine(Eriospatha) is in it's 3rd year and is growing more
    this summer than ever before,not super fast like the Trachys
    and the Washys but moving nice and evenly.

Usually it has a big growth spurt in the fall(-:

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. This is my butia's third summer also! I hope it starts to take off soon!
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

well no matter what the temperature is here in So Cal, I can assure you Sabals are never the fastest growing palms here... slugs, more like it. Nor can I say it is any Braheas or Dypsis. Here, the fastest growing palms are easily Washingtonias, Caryota urens and Queens, with Phoenix canariensis and Trachycarpus sp. Bismarckias are not that far behind. Nor are Livistona australis, decorum, nitida or rigida. Butias are steady (probably one of the faster winter growers here).

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My sabal has pushed up one full frond and a new spear is coming up. They are slow growers. I fight the temptation to put it in the ground but even if they make it throught the winter they have always had damage and I can still get them to grow SOME in the winter near a window.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Try S.Louisiana.......

Mine(even if defoliated after winter)grow 4-5 leaves
    every spring/summer/fall and have a beautiful blue
    coloration to the leaves.
    I try to keep them well watered in the heat too!

Nice example of the blue-

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!