Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

July pics of palms and other plants in VB

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are staying cool this weekend!

We had temps yesterday reach 102 ith the heat undex at 112*

Way to HOT!!

I did have some issues with my palms this winter. They didnt have a good winter, really cold this year and lots of snow here at the beach! I did have to cut them back pretty hard to get rid of all of the brown fronds and now they are finally coming back!

Stay cool everyone!!

Hope you enjoy the pics...oh,, you all know that im a Plumeria nut, so i had to put some of the blooms in this post just to share with a few others that like this beauties too!

Take care..

Laura in VB

{{gwi:1147330}}

{{gwi:1147336}}

{{gwi:1147340}}

{{gwi:1147342}}

{{gwi:582205}}

{{gwi:41536}}

{{gwi:1147352}}

{{gwi:36542}}

{{gwi:36551}}

{{gwi:36550}}

{{gwi:36549}}

{{gwi:11752}}

{{gwi:36548}}

{{gwi:41543}}

Have a great day...

Laura in VB

Comments (22)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How cool is that!

What fun it must be to walk around in your yard!

Love the Pachys,Borneo giant and all the palms and pool-

Wooohoooo-lets see some more!!!!

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

WOW! Those are amazing! your wiindmill palms and yous sabals and your pindos! I love them! Your plumerias look amazing! I love the flowers on them!
    About my dads job, he went all the way to atlanta Georiga for an interview for a job in Shellbyville Kentucky. He said it went very well and the guy interviewing him said he will make the desision on who gets the job tommorow. I dont know if my dad will know tommorow, but the desicion will have been made. I will be in zone 6. :( I will post a message as soon as I find out if were going to kentucky.
    Now for somthing a little funny. On your tenth pic, the one with the people in the background, the dog black dog looks like its thinking "Should I jump in the pool or not" Haha!
    Again I love your plants! I wish I could have a yard like that.I love the palmettos and pindos alot.

Thanks for posting!
    -Hunter

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

wow,The Plumeria look perfect. I need to install a heater under mine here in the San Francisco bay area even in summer-a joke-but close to the truth. It still doesnt have a full sized leaf..a few on a 4' plant I started in 1999.
    My Adenium is just in bud. You should try Pachypodium lameria Laura. For you it would bloom and grow like a Plumeria cactus-they are in the same family.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Awesome pics! Your palms always look beautiful and so do your plumerias! I'm lucky to have missed this heat wave since I was in San Diego (it was actually kind of cool there, especially by the water). I always love to see your backyard pics! Very nice!

Thanks a lot for sharing! I will probably post some pics of my yard sometime this week.
    - Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Very nice pics, Love the palms and how they are mixed together. Gives good variation in the foilage with the different frond styles. Hard to tell at this point that they had any damage from this past winter.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Laura it goes without saying you have a beautiul garden. Your hard work and attention to detail has really paid off. I have a couple of questions for ya. One is have you ever thought about stripping that trachy? I'm sure it would look sweet with a bare trunk. Also are your plumerias in the ground or in pots? If they are in the ground what do you do with them come winter? BTW those plumerias are beautiful.

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Laura, great pics of your lovely landscape, i see maybe two palms that look cut back but the rest look fine & dandy.
    I know it must be a pleasure to walk around a lush variety of plantlife in a yard such as yours.
    Thanks for posting the pics! Carl

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hi Laura! beautiful as always, you should be very very proud! Go hoos!

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Laura,
    Great pics,love all the palms.I wondered what happened to you.I always look foreward to your pics.of your palms.They dont look like they suffered any damage at all.Glad to see everything is doing so well.I hope my pindo palms look that blue,(the seeds you sent me.)I have 3 of them growing in one pot.I figured I would make a triple pindo.I see your hibiscus are growing like crazy also.Mine are about 10ft tall now.Thanks again for such pretty flowers,people ask me about mine all the time.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

So glad to see you posting again
    I hope all is well at home.

You'd never know that you had a bad winter to look at your garden. Ours on the Delaware coast wasn't so bad compared to what the Jersey and NY guys keep saying about their winter. But we have suffered with you with triple digit heat at dew points in the 80s! And drought ...

Don't forget I'm coming down to harvest sabal seeds this winter. It's an easy 2 1/2 hr drive down the DelMarVa peninsula.

Nice pix as always!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome back!!!

I had a lot of things going on this summer, some of you know that we have had alot going on here at ny house!!!

Thank god that all is well...and that all of your prayers have been heard. I thank you all for all of the nice emails and your concerns....you all are a great group of people and im so pleased to be a part of this great forum!!!

Jim,

Thank you for all of the nice compliments. I do enjoy coming home from a hard day of work and relaxing here in the yard.. I think most of us find pleasure in seeing what we can acheive with our own hands!! It is quite rewarding!!! Ill post some more pics for you... if i didnt have my yard to destress..i dont know how i would handle these stressful days!!!

Hunter,

Ill post some more pics of "Savannah" the black lab. She is my son's dog and he is home for the summer from college... ""GO HOKIES" lOL.. Virginia Tech...(OK, Brian...i still like the Hoo's...) LOL that is only for you!!! I dont admit that freely!!! LMAO!!!

Ill post some other pics of the dog. Then to top it off, my daughter and her hubby (and there two dogs) have been here with us for three weeks...then i have my dog...so, you can imagine that its been like a zoo here..LOL

Stanofh,

Thanks for the nice comments...Have you tried any lights to get your Plumies growing better? What kind of soil are u using? Youu should have more leaves on a 4 ft tree...if uu want some help..email me!!!

Alex,

Thank you as always....u kno that im a fan of your yard as well!

YOu always have everything perfect...things always look in place, i just try and keep things orderly!!! LOL its a constant struggle, but i love it!!!

Cant wait to see some pics...

Tks Alex...for all of your kind emails and thoughts!!!
    it was very much appreciated!!!

You were lucky to be in San Diego when we had this heat...today, we still have temps in the high 90's Yikes!!!

Chadec,

Thanks for all of your kind compliments as well!

They did have a tough winter, but have managed to pull through. Some do look then, but they are making a strong come back.Thanks!!!

Earhworm,

Honestly? I dont have the time to do that to the Trackys!!

I would like to see it done..but i have so much going on...LOL Also, ii getting to the age that i cant climb up those ladders like i used to!!! LOL Thats why i have my son help me cut the fronds back. Some of the trees are around 15 feet or taller...To tall for me now on the ladder!!!

My PLumies are all in pots..I cant keep them in the ground here in zone 8. So they all get brought in during the winter...you should see the way i make them "go to Sleep" LOL..i start to prepare them to go dormant around the end of October..then they are readyy to all take the journeyy to the back bedroom for the winter...ill post this if yu are interested this fall.

Dixieboy,

(Carl) Tahnks for all of your kind words...yu know how much i enjoy seeing all of your pics..You reallyy have a beautiful yard. I cant help but feel Proud to be a "Rebel" everytime i see your post!!! LOL..its all good stuff!

My trees did pull through, but u have a good eye,, they were cut back hard to get them to where they are now.
    But, sometimes you have to do it!!!

Brian,

Hey Buddy! Ive missed chatting with you!!! How have you been? Those Cav's did great in baseball...what a great season they had...

MY son is starting his final year at VT...he's starting to get that sick feeling because he knows that its almost over. Ill miss going t0 the games and especially the games beteen from VT and UVA !!! (for everyone, VT and UVA) are great, friendly rivals...but Brian and i love to beat our drum on our fav's....LOL

GO HOKIES!!!!

Randy,

Nice to see you too! Im glad that your seeds are growing well!!

Have you had the heat like us?

Ill be around a little more...lots of family issues going on here in the family...but all is well! : )

Vince,

Thanks you...i really appreciate all of your support. You really have been a great freind and i thsnk you for all of your support!!!

You can come down and harvest seeds anytime, or ill be mooe thsn happy to send them to you!

How are the Oleander doing?

Did you see the Sabals shootig out the seeds?

Soon my friend!!!

Here are some other pics or youu ll to enjoy!!!

Thanks again for all of your touching support during these tough times..yiu all have been so kind!!!

Thank YOU!!!

Laura in VB

{{gwi:105555}}

{{gwi:36546}}
    {{gwi:36543}}
    {{gwi:578840}}
    {{gwi:41545}}
    {{gwi:40102}}
    {{gwi:40106}}
    {{gwi:40105}}
    {{gwi:40104}}
    {{gwi:40080}}

Take care everyone..

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:40093}}one more..

This is my son and his dog "Savannah"

Laura in VB

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Laura, the oleander are planted in a protected and doing well. I most certainly did see all those seeds you sabals are pushing out! It'll be fun to do a seed collecting road trip this winter.

Those gardenia blossoms are amazing. Some of my neighbors have that variety. They bloom later and longer than the hardier variety I have. I'll have to try them next season.

Looks like you're getting some needed rain. There were storms all around the area, but all we got was paltry drizzle!

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Wow, thats very cool. I like the black lab and the little dog too! It looks like a dashund. I cant spell it lol!
    I dont know If I have told you but my mom graduated from Virginia Tech and my great grandfather(I think its great grandfather) worked in the greenhouse a long time ago at VT and my cousin used to work there! So, lots of my reletives were at VT! Haha! We have a painting of one of the buildings in my dining room.
    Again I love the plants and the dogs! I have a yellow lab and golden retriever mix. His name is Benny and hes a pain in a butt but hes a good dog. :D
    I wish I had as many plants as you do! Ive only got 7 and some seeds but Im just starting! As soon as I get some more money im getting more plants! Im not sure where I will put them all because Im running out of room on my balcony and our back patio where I have my foxtail seeds has mice, chipmonks, groundhogs, raccons and snakes. I will probably move my seeds out of there,lol.
    I know Ive said this a milloin times already but you palms look great. They look very happy there!
    -Hunter

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Laura, do you ever have to winterize the Pindo? I can't imagine trying to cover the crown of a tree that big. Everything I read about them is they hate winter precip or even cold rain in their crown. I planted my first pindo as a center piece in my back garden. None of my other palms have ever been covered or wrapped in the winter, but I know this guy won't like the cold rain, ice or occasional snow we get, so will have to break my tradition and actually cover it.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Laura,
    It's normal for our temps.to be 95* plus July through September.That's why it's called Hot Atlanta,LOL.My B.capitata seedlings have taken off since July.They love all this heat.I ordered me a B.yatay today,there suppost to be faster growing than capitatas.I'll see if it's true or not.Sorry to hear about your family problems.Hope everything is ok.
    Randy

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hi Laura! Would love to catch up! I have a different email than before... bri.kees@yahoo maybe THIS year you and your family can stop by :)

Brian

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Randy,

Thank you...Im glad your seeds are doing well!!! So your Hibiscus is pretty tall eh? My friends still have comments everytime they come over, so its nice to see flowers on them during the summer so they finally believe me that they are not some other...aaa...weed!! LOL!!!!

Brian,

Thanks for the new email...so that's the problem!!! LOL...we need to catch up on some of those scores...LOL!!!

Really, it would be nice to chat...ill email you soon. Im on the road right now and ill be home this weekend.

So, Its alright to come and park in front of your house with all of the "HOKIE" stuff all over the truck/camper when we come up for the games? LOL...illl even put the banner on the back ladder of the camper just for you!!! LOL...that way all of your neighbors will think you have switched sides...LOL...(chuckling hard here!!!)

How is everything in LYH? Cant wait to hear!!!

Did i tell u that Chris Ta.... lives down the street from us. He was your star player this year. He and my son grew up together playing soccer at school..What a nice young man!!

Vince,

Those seeds will stay on the tree for you...i usually cut the seed pods down because after they flower and turn to seed, they look awful..but, ill leave them on for you!!!

As for the Pindos during the winter. I believe the first year i did wrap the hearts with the heat tape and tucked them in with Burlap, like i did with all of the Sabals. I dont wrap any of themm anymore. Especially after the first few years. They have all adjusted to our winters, but when we do have a huge snow storm, i do go out and knock off the snow from the fronds. Some say to do this others say not to. I just hate to see all of that weight on the fronds...i do have a pic of my hubby doing this. When i get home and on my computer with my pics, ill post a pic of the Winter look! You will get a kick from this pic!!!

The heat has been brutal..i feel for anyone who has to work out in this heat...stay cool!!!

Just walking across the tarmac here in CLT was a blistering 118* today....thats with the heat index Yikes!!!

Take care everyone...cant wait to get home and check on the progress of the new inflos on my Plumies...
    If some of u all want to see more blooms of some rare Thai variety...let me know and ill be happy to post them!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

Of course you can bring all that "stuff" with you, I just can't promise you will leave with it haha ;)

Honestly, I love how you have your pool area and would love some ideas and my wife is a pretty good cook on top of it :)

Look forward from hearing from ya!

• tropicpalms
    12 years ago

Mrs. Laura! Very very beautiful! ill be down to see it all soon, im dying to see it all again. love the hibiscus lining the backside of your casa. super palms and plants. best yard in Vb! there is also a rather handsome man in the last picture with his dog? haha -Justin in Vb

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Yeah, the last pic is like a TyTy nursery shot. LOL

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I would swear I could smell that Gardenia!
    They have such a memorable fragrance.

I love that yellow Hibiscus flower too,
    what a great color.