Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_m_gw

Palms from vacation, updates on my plants and my new additions!

Hunter_M
12 years ago

Hi everybody! I want to show you some palms from vacation and my new plants! I will start with my plants from before I left:

My coconut seems to be doing well:

My magesty with frond opening:

My yucca and needle:

So my plants are doing good and Im relieved. But my foxtail seeds have still not sprouted and Im getting mad and impatient with them.

Next I will show you some palms from my vacation to South Carolina:

My favorite spot with palms while I was there with lots of sabal palmettos:

Another palmetto:

Palmettos from the first pic from a distant view;

Cabbage palms:

Lots of seedlings:

Alright, now its time for my new additions!

Here is my musa velutina banana!!!

Above: Yes I know it looks horrible. Its because it was in the back of our truck for hours and hours.

There are lots of little bananas on it but the pink part on the top is shriveled up but these is still some pink in the center:

Some more damage on it:

And now heres my plumeria that my uncle gave me from Hawaii! It dosent have roots yet but it will soon!!

And heres my cabbage palm and some seeds from another palm:

I dont know the palm that the seeds came from but here is a picture of it:

Im exited about my new additions! I will get them re-potted very soon.

Thanks for looking!

-Hunter

Comments (16)

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"I dont know the palm that the seeds came from but here is a picture of it: "

Answer, its a butia yatay (pindo palm) and very cold hardy and needs winter protection (to be covered)in zone 7a/b.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Be patient with the ponytail seeds. I'm guessing they are extra slow in sprouting.

Did you collect any Sabal Palmetto (cabbage palm ) seeds in SC? They sprout like weeds.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Awesome pics and additions! I really like your musa velutina! Mine is half that size! The fruit on velutina is edbile so when you see them peeling off, you can give them a try (but be careful not to eat the seeds in the fruit (btw, the seeds are suppose to be really easy to germinate).

Im looking forward to seeing your plumeria grow. Make sure you dont water it until it gets roots and they love lots of sun. I water my unrooted plumerias once every week at the most and they are in full sun (and I water it much less when it actually rains and when it rains a lot, I bring them to a place where the rain wont get them wet).

The seeds you got are definitely from a pindo palm! Im not sure if its Butia yatay or Butia capitata (now renamed B. odorata). Butias are a pretty confusing family of palms!

I never get tired of seeing Sabals! They are one of my favorite palms!

Your plants are all looking great!!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you guys, I thought it was a pindo but I wasnt sure.

@wetsuiter: I got 2 seeds but the shells split open and the seeds fell out.
    @Alex:: I was hoping you would like the banana! Are the seeds bad to eat?

I forgot to add a pic of a sago palm near my cabin:

Thank you all for the ansewers!
    -Hunter

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Cool pics. I really like the cabbage palms pics. When they are short and stubby without much of a trunk is when I think they look their best. I you hadda gone to SC towards the end of the year you would have probably had a sabal seed collecting frenzy.

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hey Hunter, Are y'all going to be moving to Bedford, Va?

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mastiffhoo: Well, I dont know yet. There is a chance I will be going to Shellbyville, Kentucky. I will know within a week if Im going to Kentucky or not. If not there is still a chance of going to Bedford Va.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I dont think that the seeds are bad to eat, but they are pretty big seeds so I wouldnt even try to swallow them. I guess it would be like eating a watermellon seed.
    Nice sago palm, it looks a little cold damaged, but made a nice recovery!

-Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hunter,

Beautiful Pics!!!

Love the Pindos and the Sabal's!!!

Good luch with the Plumeria!!! : )

Alex and i are "addicts.." LOL

SO, be careful, you cant have just one!!!

Hi Brian!!! Hope all is well in LYH!!

GO HOKIES... (That's for you Brian...LOL)

Looks like u had a great vacation, Hunter!!!

Loves all of the pics...

Laura in VB

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Ain't nothing like a sabal. They may not be the most tropical looking, but they are my favorites. Nice banana, I just recently got one for myself. Hope it produces fruit next year.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Me and Laura, are definitely plumeria addicts! One isnt enough! Right now I have 11 and I started with one 3 summers ago. I would have much more than that if I had the space! They are beautiful flowers, one of mine just started blooming yesterday!
    -Alex

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

Laura...just wanted to say I agree with your "Go Hokies!" comment :) :)

Hunter...awesome pics. I'm disappointed cause I tried two banana plants this year and both died. Thinking it was the soil, I even put in all new topsoil for the 2nd one and it didn't like it. I guess I'll need to try a new spot!

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ P.J. and Laura: Ha, I agree with "Go Hokies" too! I used to live in Bedford Virginia before I went to Ohio. My family has always liked the Hokies! Also, my mom graduated from Virginia Tech, so thats why why like them.

And P.J.: Good luck with your bananas!! I used soil with pete moss in it and I mixed it with play sand,lol. I hope it does well, Its only been in that soil for a few days.

-Hunter

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: There is a very high chance I am going to Shelbyville, Kentucky.About an 80% chance. Im happy but also disapointed because its the same stupid zone I am now!! Could I still plant a windmill, needle, and sabal minor there? Any others that I could plant that wont need protection after a few years? Thanks!!

-Hunter

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Hunter,

Ii hope u can get to Va! You will be able to have more of a variety of tropicals here. So, Brian and I are keeping our fingers crosses for you to head to Bedford!!!!

But watch out for Brian, he'll try and bend you to "The Other Side.." LOL...He likes the Hoo's....(UVA)

let us hear where you are going!!!

Take care..

Im posting some pics for you on another thread of my trees here in VB

Take care..

Laura in VB

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,Laura:
    Well,it turnes out Im about 95% sure that we are going to kentucky.(weve been congragulated twice but no official word yet.) Im pretty sad. I really wanted to go back to va. Im exited about Kentucky, but I still wanted to go back home.:( Oh,well. I will try to push the zone limits as much as I can.
    I wont go to the "other side" no matter what! Go Hokies! Wooo!
    -Hunter