{{gwi:1147438}}

{{gwi:1147439}}

{{gwi:1147440}}

Our live oaks from my cousins place

{{gwi:1147441}}

Comments (17)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Looking good Carl! Your minors have recovered nicely from the flooding. But I haven't seen any pics of your wife's good southern cooking this year, nor of the veggie garden. And where's the chair?!!!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Nice pics! Doesnt get more southern than that! Everything looks really nice and healthy!
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Very beautiful garden! where r u in nc? do u protect your sago at all? your grass looks fantastic but a lot of work I'm sure!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brad, thanks, i'm almost positive (97.5%) i posted our first shrimp supper caught in our local waters for you on the other board! The late veggie garden is to the left in the first pic & is no more. The chair i still use on certain occasion's!! lol

Alex, trying to keep it 'southern to the bone' lol Thanks

LagoMar, thank you, i'm on the innercoast in eastern Beaufort county in the community of Pamlico Beach.

No protection for the sago's, i use to throw a tarp over them about 4 or 5 years ago but to many false alarms & i have quit, i'm sure they will take a hit but have had them since they were seedlings, we have 4.

The grass i just keep mowed is all. Thanks

• chadec
    11 years ago

Carl, nice to see things looking normal on our eastcoast again. Great looking crape. So many of mine didn't even bloom this year. Missing the agave though. I guess none grew back from the roots?

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I must have missed your shrimp on the other board, why no veggies this year?

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Chad, we have been gett'in copious amounts of precip from strong thunder boomers the whole summer, we really need to dry out some. The last time i looked it (agave) was still in the woods green as could be, my brother in law got some of the pups not to long ago from it.

Brad, this is our first local waters shrimp feast back in June.
    {{gwi:1147442}}

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Carl, why do you torture me even when I ask for it. More please! You can post those dinner photos every day thank you very much!

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Send us some of that rain. This summer is better than last, but still very dry. Oh, and send some shrimp too.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vince, ha, as i type this morn'in at 7am there a thunder shower over our area, man, it is much to wet, we need some dry'in up bad & this is my mow day!!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is our butia from the back view with the 'chair' for your enjoyment!! lol
    {{gwi:1147443}}

• butiaman
    11 years ago

Hey Dixieboy,
    That Pindo palm looks like a pindo on steroids,LOL.You see so many pictures of pindos with all the fronds trimmed up to the newest fronds,makes them look sparse.I personally don't like that look.Yours looks very healthy,nice and full.I like the pic.with the sago palms also.How tall are them?Are they cycas revolutas?I've tried to grow them in the ground here and they rot on me every time.I bought me 3 Cycas taitungensis plants,maybe the will live here.There supposed to be more cold hardy than revolutas.All your plants look great.Your definitely doing something right.Your S.palmettos are getting big also.That plate of food looks goooood.I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you and everyone there.
    Randy

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, love our butia & been very happy with it. We have 4 revolutas & two are about 5' i would say. So thankful that things are about back to normal after last years storm but right now we are soak'in wet from so many thunder boomers this summer & were quite laden with lots of heavy rain. Hang in there Randy!

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

I love your property and you are in a fantastic location! A bit TOO rural for me though. I've been to Swan Quarter and it is OUT THERE!

Do your Sago's get brown in winter, then grow back in spring? I've noticed many of them do that around here, particularly if it snows or temps drop below 25.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What big motel chain did you stay in while in Swanquarter??? lol

Most years our revolutas stay green, it has to get in the upper teens for them to show any kind of cold damage, i think the last real cold damage was done in 03. This larger one don't flush new fronds every year. Thanks
    {{gwi:1147444}}

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

The chair is looking good! That butia ain't half bad either ;).

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, the chair & food is out of the way, what else can i do for you Brad??? LOL