Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardc7

ID this Yucca?!

RichardC7
11 years ago

This was taken in Ocean City,MD. It looks like the ones found here in Southwest PA, but they DONT trunk. i dont understand why the ones here dont trunk. or are we just using the wrong kind? Thanks! any suggestions on what kinds to use here? Thanks, again.

Comments (18)

• californiamike
    11 years ago

Hi: I am not sure of the correct name, but it is a pretty common yucca found all over the northeast. I think the larger ones do trunk but it takes a few years. That and a lot of pruning. The one you have in the pic, has not been pruned, if it was, it would look like a tree. I have one in my yard , about 4 years old and has 1 large trunk with an off shoot trunk....it is about 4 feet tall or so, but I have seen them around here that are over 6 feet tall. Oh and I live in Staten Island, NY. They are pretty common here, along with Yucca rostratas and now Windmill Palms.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

That is not filamentosa, which is commonly found here, but probably a gloriosa or aloifolia, I'm not good at yucca ID's, but it's not something commonly found around the 'burgh without protection, at least with a trunk like that! Those varieties and others will come back from the roots, but will not form a trunk here without protection and/or perfect siting. Go Steelers, Bucs, Pens, Panthers and all else that is Pittsburgh!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

They are Yucca Recurvifolias. They are really common all over the NYC area, some of them look like they might be hybrids with yucca gloriosa and those are especially beautiful since they have thicker leaves and are more vigorous. I have seen these yuccas get to over 6 feet tall and most people around here prune them (and they overprune them at that, which is a common problem with palm trees in the south!). Yucca rostrata is another beautiful trunking yucca and yucca faxoniana is a little rarer in my areas, but the older specimens around my neighborhood are absolutely beautiful.

The yuccas that dont trunk near you might be young recurvifolias or maybe they are yucca filamentosa.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• subtropix
    11 years ago

I also think it is Recurvifolia. The leaves have that blue green hue, and look soft and floppy, not to rigid or prickly. Though the leaves on Recurvifolia do seem wider than the one in the pic.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I agree with the above postings that it's Recurvifolia. If they're that common in NYC and Maryland zone 7, maybe I should give them another try here in 6b...

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Should survive in 6b, as might rostrada. Rostrada can be expensive though, recurvifolia not so and it's a faster grower.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Alex
    Maybe we can do a trade sometime,if you can get me a Y.Recurvifolia I will send you a Y.Aloifolia....(-:

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Alex
    Maybe we can do a trade sometime,if you can get me a Y.Recurvifolia I will send you a Y.Aloifolia....(-:

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to some local nurseries here in Pittsburgh tomorrow, im going to look for some of these metioned above! thanks :)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Jim, I have never planted a recurvifolia but I have them in my yard somehow and they are getting pretty big now. I dug a few up a couple of years ago and they survived the winter completely bare root, they are very hardy. I would definitely like to trade! What's your email? Here's a pic of my recurvifolias (I think a bird must have dropped a seed there, I also have a sycamore growing in that spot that a bird must have dropped).

- Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

The top one is Curve-leaf Yucca (Recurvifolia). I also have one that I bought that listed it as Texas yucca (Rupicola), but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. They look exactly alike to my untrained eye. The "common" yuccas in the NE are Adam's Needle (Filamentosa), which definitely do not trunk. Alex, are you sure your's isn't a Spanish Dagger or Bayonet? It looks more like a young Dagger to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Im pretty sure its a recurvifolia because of the bluish green look to the new leaves (somewhat common with the younger recurvifolias) and it looks just like my neighbor's young yucca pups and almost every house on the block has a recurvifolia (they are very common here!).

What does everyone think the ID is on my yucca? I want to make sure it is definitely a recurvifolia.
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

If your neighborhood is loaded w/ Curved Leaf, you're almost assuredly right about it being the same. I just thought that the bottom in particular looked more like a dagger b/c of the bright green and thinner leaves. Curved leaf are usually wider leaves.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Thanks LagoMar. The older specimens have wide leaves, but usually the younger ones are a little thinner, but I'll have to look at some pups growing under their mothers and see how they look compared to mine.
    -Alex

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Alex-
    Yours looks like a filamentosa to me(Adam's Needle). You can view the pics I posted on my Michigan Tropics posting. I have a group of filamentosa surrounding my big windmill. They do get the bluish color. I also have them around a huge maple. Even after digging them up, they'll still come back if you miss any of the tuber.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Your right, it does look a lot like your filamentosa. Does Filamentosa make a trunk at all though? These are starting to form a trunk but it's hard to tell if it's actually a trunk or just the tuber growign above ground.

Here's one I just dug up today.

-Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Definitely not Adams Needle. They never trunk.

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LagoMar- I figured that they never trunk, considering Pennsylvanians never do anything fun, accept on super-bowl sunday! lol hahaha! PENNSYLVANIA NEEDS TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM1!!! WE NEED MORE PALMS!

I'm very off topic a'rent I ?!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022