Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Palms require some patience

User
10 years ago

Mostly our palms are not the quickest growers of our tropical collections. Being impatient, too many people expect instant results but this simply is not in the nature of palms. Last year I had posted about my Queen Palms not growing after being potted up. Virtually did nothing last year despite the upgrade to 19 gallon tubs in July. This year, they are growing like crazy though I have done nothing special for them. So, which are you fastest and slowest growers.

Fastest---Butia capitata (grows to treelike proportions in no time)

Slowest--Sabal palmetto (minor, texana, bermudana, Louisiana, Mauritiiformis all these are faster--for me)

Comments (10)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Out of the ones I currently have alive and growing, my Trachy is probably the fastest and my slowest is definitely my queen palm. My Adondila is a surprisingly fast grower, it already has 2 new fronds this season (which is really 6 new fronds since it's 3 plants in 1) and I'd also consider my minor a fast grower (It also put out 2 new fronds this season which is pretty good for a sabal).

Compared to my other tropicals, palms are painfully slow, but definitely worth growing since nothing says the tropics more than palm trees!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    10 years ago

My fastest growing palm is my majesty palm. My slowest growing palm is my spindle palm. Sabal minor is the second slowest. windmill palms tend to grow faster with age.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropicalzone, are you sure your Queen Palms are in big enough containers? As I said, mine were doing nothing last year, I transplanted in July of 2012, still nothing--until this year!

Staten Island, is your minor in the ground or a container? Sabals prefer the ground.

My Phoenix are also fast. I know they are not supposed to be, but out back I have sun, more sun and lots of hot asphalt. Might as well be Dubai.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

My queen hasn't been repotted in a few years, but it seems to be pretty good in its container although I might repot it next year and at least give it fresh soil.

I think the main issue is that it has had a lot of stress this year especially. This year it completely defoliated. The frond it grew indoors collapsed when I took it outside and the fronds it grew last summer burned in the sun even though it only got about 2 hours of sun and it was a cool spring. It was down to a stump with some green on it, but now it's pushing up a new frond so it should look normal by the end of the season. My queen always pushes out 2 fronds a year which isn't too bad, but next year is it's 10th birthday (got it as a very small seedling in August 2004) so it's definitely pretty small for that age (has about 4 feet of trunk).

-Alex

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, as I said, my Queens did very, very little last year--they might also have been recovering from some cold damage from the winter before last. They must have spent last summer growing roots, this season it's leaves. Maybe will push 4-5 new leaves over the season at this rate. Last year, what I did was chuck them out of their 19 gallon tubs and added soil to he bottom of the pot, being that the roots were then so high in the container, I mulched with sphagnum moss to keep the surface roots moist. They get hosed down daily. They go into a loft garage over winter and I water very little. Usually dragging them out on milder winter days to hose down. Wish they were hardy here because their is a narrow strip along the driveway that would be perfect for them (pretty tall, over 12 feet--so they can grow in relatively smallish pots). I recently bought a Queen/Butia hybrid palm and am surprised at its slower growth--compared to either Butia or Queens (will check out roots this weekend)--might just be my impatience and it wanting to root in!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

Apart from the Washingtonia palms, my queen palms are the fastest growing for me.

The slowest growing palms for me have been

1. Jubaea chilensis
    2. Dypsis decipiens
    3. Howea forsteriana

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Not unusual for palms (and some other plants too) to stop growth after repotting or transplanting. It is a matter of readjusting the root system to the changes before above ground growth recommences.

• prinbama
    10 years ago

My fastest is my Robusta and then my butia capitata (amazingly) and lastly my trachy. My Butia has pushed out 3 new fronds with two spears on its way. My Rubusta has 7 huge fronds with more to come and my trachy has pushed 4 new fronds. It's a great year for my palms

• prinbama
    10 years ago

My fastest is my Robusta and then my butia capitata (amazingly) and lastly my trachy. My Butia has pushed out 3 new fronds with two spears on its way. My Rubusta has 7 huge fronds with more to come and my trachy has pushed 4 new fronds. It's a great year for my palms

• jacklord
    10 years ago

My Butia is the fastest even though it is wrapped up during the winter and always has to "come out of shock" in the Spring.

Slowest would be Meds.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH