Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Fan Palm Stunted Growth

Posted by jordanz 8A Mojave Desert (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 14:39

So I have a total of 4 Mexican Fan Palms in my front yard. 1 of them I planted 2 years ago (it was about 10" diameter, 4 feet tall)...that one is now almost 1.5 foot diameter and 10 feet tall! It has done ridiculously good. All I do is water it 2-3 times per week, and use palm fertilizer twice a year.

I also planted a 6" diameter, 3 foot tall palm at the same time (2 years ago) in a huge pot. It didn't grow at all in the pot. It always had 1-2 little fronds, but they didn't move or grow for a year. So I put it in the ground like my big palm a year ago, and it still hasn't progressed. I use the same water/fertilizer schedule as my big palm. What do I need to do to fix it? It probably pushed up 1 frond per year if I'm lucky..VERY slowly. My big one probably pushes out a couple dozen fronds per year. How do I get this guy to grow?!

2 of the palms I just planted 2 months ago, they're tiny little 4" diameter, 2 foot tall palms. They're doing just fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Fan Palm Stunted Growth

Sounds like it could be your soil--both ground and in the container. What's the soil like? Palms like a soil rich in humus that drains well. Something definitely wrong (I think my robustas must put out 2-3 new fronds per month at least. Mine are in large tubs and I water every day.)

o

May have some root damage there,in which case it will
take a while to grow new roots...assuming there isn't
some fungal infection.

o

• Posted by jordanz 8A Mojave Desert (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 14:32

Soil is very heavy clay here in the desert. Seriously like concrete trying to break through it. But I added probably 30% mulch/compost to it before planting. It's the same soil as all the other palms that are doing good. Do I need to fertilize or water less/more?

Maybe I didn't dig the hole deep enough? I loosened it probably close to a foot beneath the root tips. I may dig it up to see how water-logged it is. Should you let these palms soil dry out between waterings, or keep them somewhat damp?

o

Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 18:03

Any ideas on what I should do? What kind of water and fertilizer schedule do you guys use?

o

Just give it another year.. it will probably start to pick up.. some palms go into a funk if roots disturbed at planting and can take up to 3 years to come out of it.

o

Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 18:33

So it seems to finally be pushing up a new frond. Should I continue to water twice a week, or do more/less? What about fertilizer?

o

my mexican fan palm is doing the same thing and i planted it in soil amended with about half gravel and half native soil (very rich fertile soil) but I think my palm is growing even slower than yours! It has yet to make any progress!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here