Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Majesty palm trimming........

Posted by meyersk76 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 15:14

http://www.nursery-report.com/ImageGallery/images/P0733.jpg

Am I in for a heap of trouble if I trim my majesty palm in order to keep it around 7 ft tall? I'm buying it at ~6 ft(leaf span). I know this is a huge no-no, but it's what fits, looks nice, etc right now for the particular area of my house. Any help or opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Majesty palm trimming........

What are you going to cut?

o

I was wondering that too as it looks quite nice and tidy as it is. Hard to get a sense of scale tho.

o

I didn't mean to have that link up there. It's just a pic on the web. Just mainly wanted to know if I were to trim the leaves, would I be risking no re-growth? I assume everything grows back(leave wise) but I'm knew to this whole plant/palm venture

o

you can trim the leaves, but you will have to trim them shorter and shorter to keep the palm at 7 feet, and eventually the trunk will be 7 feet tall. Majesty palms can reach 100 feet tall, they're not really the best species to plant if you are looking to control height. Return it or plant it somewhere else, and put a Pygmy date or other dwarf palm in its place.

o

No everything does not grow back 'leaf wise'. If you trim the end of a frond, that is it-it won't grow back but the whole frond will eventually go brown and die and can be removed. Trimming the end of a frond would make the palm look pretty ugly IMO. The top of the trunk where the fronds emerge is the growing point of the palm and if you damage that the palm will die, so you cannot pull fronds out of there in order to restrict size. As stated above the Majesty palm is a huge palm so you might be better off with a smaller palm and if you want to grow it inside choose a low light variety.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here