Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

it's official 100 again

andyandy
11 years ago

Today is our 4th official 100 degree day. that may not be a lot for many of you but I think it had been about 20 years since our last 100 degree day here in the Detroit area. We may break the record of 101 set in 1887. Hard to believe they are saying a high of 83 on Thursday. We need rain though We have not had any since the 3rd. After that rain it was steamy and not as warm(except for the 4th which hit 101) but I was seeing much faster growth in the humid hazy 80s then I am in the sunny and Dry high 90s.

Comments (22)

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Upper 90s here with dew points in the 70s makes it feel like Panama.

• User
    11 years ago

98 f. Was the high. Humidity is supposed to increase tomorrow (from high to disgusting) so supposed to feel worse. Now, I don'd know about Panama, but. at least in most of the Caribbean, there are refreshing, near constant, tradewind breezes and it rains a lot and cools down dramatically right after the tropical showers. We can't seem to pop a thunderstorm no matter how hot and humid it is. I don't get it!! Still, last year was a local record at 110 f. . But Death Valley wins first prize. Recent high of 128 was bad enough, but the MINIMUM at night was... 107 F., a new worldwide, all time record! But like they say, it's a dry heat.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Got up to 99F today by me, the humdity was better than yesterday, but dew points were still in the 70s all day long. Right now it's 8:30 and the sun has set and it's still 90F outside and humid. We had a little over 15 90F days so far this summer in my NYC yard (late spring was a cool one here so that helped keep the number down) and only 3 days of temperatures in the 100s (but 8 days of 98F or above).

Wow Nj, I didnt hear about the new worldwide night time record set in Death Valley of 107F! That is crazy impressive with humidity or without. And the high of 128F isnt too far off from the all time daytime record either! Our day time record high here is 107F and it was 104F before last summer!

• User
    11 years ago

After 9:00 pm and still 93 F. here despite the abundance of large trees and local forest. Supposed to rain tomorrow, I hope so. Most of my largest palms are dates, Med, Butias, Washingtonias, and Queens and those have good heat tolerances. I see growth but not like in a wet summer, just not the same.

Yea, I read about the Death Valley record on Weather Underground. Guess most people don't care because it's Death Valley and it's July and there's no one there to complain about the heat anyway.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Still a warm 88F here according to my weather station, intellicast.com says 92F currently. Either way it's a very mild night. I definitely found the info on death valley interesting, but then again I do like the weather so I guess I'd be a lot more interested than other people!
    -Alex

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Andy

thats crazy its that hot up there! We are forecasted to be 101-105 for the next 7 days lows in the upper 70's although thats usually right before sunrise. No rain chances at all. I had to move some of my bananas and plumeria to shadier spots to keep them from burning up.

Mike

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was 94 last night at 9:30. I would have hated to be at the Tigers game (100 at game time, I've never heard of that up here and the game was a 7:05 start). My palms seemed to have loved it though. One of my bottles and my coconut both pushed up new spears yesterday. I figured the bottle palm was due but I was really surprised by the coco. The newest frond is flying up but is in no way fully emerged. It must be all of these nights in the 70s. We're getting a couple day reprive. 89 today and then 82 Thursday and friday. Back into the low 90s by Sunday. I've been watering everyting every evening. It just shows that you cant over water when it's in the 90s day after day.

• chachacharlie
    11 years ago

Oh, how I miss my Panamanian weather! Lucky you guys get some of that heat and humidity during the summer months. Here in coastal Los Angeles that doesn't happen too often. Fortunately, last week we had some really muggy and warm weather, it did feel a little bit like Panama - high 80s/90s and really muggy, and today and tomorrow we are expecting the remnants of Hurricane Fabio to arrive and bring rain, T-storms and some mugginess as well. Then early next week we have monsoonal moisture pumped our way for more of the good stuff.
    Nevertheless, I still miss my year round tropical weather.
    Good luck, guys and enjoy the heat! - I'm sure your palms will :)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

California has very comfortable weather year round, but I definitely prefer the hot summers here (would really like to have the winters that you have though!). When I was in San Diego last year I had a sweatshirt on every day, it was definitely too cold for shorts by the water with temperatures barely getting to 70F everyday (areas just a few miles inland were a lot more comfortable, but really dry).
    But days like today with dew points near 80F and a current temperature of 101F definitely makes me want it to be a little cooler, but I know the plants are loving this weather!
    -Alex

• User
    11 years ago

Newark and Bayonne are both at 103 f. with real feel temps of 106-110 f.. Looks like I will top out officially at 99 f. but I'm afraid to put a thermometer in the actual growing area--lots of reflected heat bouncing off blacktop and structures. Too hot for me, today. Lucky enough to be inside with AC. Don't know about Cali., never been there. Western climates are way more complicated than eastern ones--consider those craze, contorted gardening zones. Basically , I like the humid climate subtropicals best, but also really like the occasional, blinding, winter snowstorm so I guess this is a good fit.

• User
    11 years ago

Wow! I thought we were past max heating for the day, now I see we hit 103 f. It felt like it too.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Its been 100, one 100 times to much already!

Rain?

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

We got a pop up storm just now so that kept us from getting past 101F today. Right now it "cooled" down to 95F and its getting a little windy. The bad storms are still to our north and west.
    -Alex

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally some rain today, I'm not sure how much at my house (I work 35 miles from my home). it is much cooler (86) but very humid. Today is perfect growing conditions.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

The worst of the rain missed us so Im a little disappointed that we got a small 3 mile long dry spot between 2 really strong thunderstorm cells. Still managed to get lots of lightining and a total of .40 inches of rain which still puts us under an inch of rain for the month.
    -Alex

• User
    11 years ago

Yeah, no big deal here either. Think I lost more water in perspiration today than fell as rain.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Yeah, same here, luckily the humidity may have helped keep some water in the soil during this extreme heat. Tomorrow I have a lot of cleaning up to do since a lot of plants fell down and there's dirt and leaves all over the yard! Usually when it rains I have less work in the yard to do, but it would have been much easier to water the plants then to clean up the mess from the thunderstorm today!
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

"Only" 97 in Virginia Beach today, but the Dewpoint hit 83 and the heat index went as high as 122. So far this year the actual temp has hit 100 three times, with the highest being 103 on 7/8. Not a drop of rain here today. If the rain comes from the west as it was today, it usually dies out before reaching the coast. We get most of our precip from the south or southwest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

We are now 30" behind for the period July 1,2011 to July(today).

Normally we see 38.15" in a year and 4.42 in July so,we need over an inch per week!

When you throw in all the above normal temps with the lack
    of rainfall the deficit is even worse because of increased evaporation.

We have seen almost 30 days of 90+ and we are only half way through the month.

BTW

Amazing dewpoint and temps yesterday....

Temp was 102F /dewpoint 55F /humidity 20% -drier air thanks to the drought in part.

• User
    11 years ago

I just took a look at weather forecasts for Iowa and the areas further west. All I can say is as hot and humid NYC or DC have been in the East, your forecasts are downright frightening. Rain is much below here but there has been some, and only in the 70's tomorrow with ocean flow and more chances for rain. Spending the coolish day (80's), weeding, watering, top dressing, and mulching in the garden. Helps in drought.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rain i thought I got at home yesterday proved to be next to nothing. we do have a steady drizzle today and it is only about 71 out right now (although it is really humid). Today will be the 1st day since mid-June we wont hit at least 80. Back into the 90s by Sunday though.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

dang....

This is the first day after a "cold" front and it still hit 95F,

The soil is so dry-it heats up fast and there is no moisture in it.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County