Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkie_in_toronto

Blue Hesper Palm in Charleston SC?

nikkie_in_toronto
11 years ago

I recently bought a home in Charleston, SC and saw a Brahea armata in a private garden. I was told that they didnt do as well in the Southeast as they did in the southwest due to the humidity. Does anyone have any experience with this palm in the coastal Southeast? I sure would like to at least attempt to grow one. I would also love any recommendations for more unusual palms that may grow in Charleston. I am not a huge fan of the sabals (though they are beautiful trees) in that the seedlings are growing out of every crack and crevice in my new yard. Thank you! N

Comments (9)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Give it good drainage and it should do great. They have less cold tolerance in the southeast than the southwest because of the extra moisture, but they are still pretty cold tolerant and should do fine in Charleston. I've seen some nice specimens in the southeast and they should be planted a lot more.
    -Alex

• alex_7b
    11 years ago

The only drawback I would mention with Brahea is that it's a slow grower. Slower even than a Sabal. You would have to have beaucoup bucks to get one of appreciable size to plant. Otherwise you'll get a small one that will be forever small.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Thats definitely something to consider about Braheas, while beautiful they are slow growing. I would compare them to growing a sabal in Seattle, they will survive, but they wont put out a whole lot of fronds. Sometimes they do manage to grow faster when given good drainage and a full sun exposure, but they still will take some time to get to a good size so if you dont mind spending some money, get one shipped from the west coast at a nice size (nothing huge, but a little bit of trunk is good) so that way you immediately have a nice palm and in a few years you'll have a really nice palm!
    -Alex

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

I have never heard of this palm till now! it looks like that kind of palm that you would see on an old southern plantation.... i guess kinda like the Sabal! best of luck!

• nikkie_in_toronto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the advice.. I'm relatively "new" to palms and I really like the blue coloration of some of them. I know its too far north for a bismarkia, so it appears that the blue hesper is next on my list for a "blue" palm. Any other suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Space is somewhat limited, so I want something that is going to be somewhat slow growing and will not become massive. Thank you! N

• butiaman
    11 years ago

Nkkie,
    Have you ever heard of a Chamaerops humilis cerifera palm. This is a beautiful hardy palm tree that can reach heights of 5 to 15+ feet, depending on climate conditions.It is a somewhat slow grower, and this is evergreen, and this variety gets silvery blue leaves.This very hardy palm is hardy to at least USDA zone 7, and has been known to take temperatures down to 0F.I hope this might help you make your dession on what palm to get.
    Randy

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here is a shot of my Chamaerops blue for reference... it is a pretty slow grower here in Los Angeles area... supposed to be faster in the desert. Prone to rot if watered overhead so careful.

• nikkie_in_toronto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the ideas and the beautiful picture. It is truly an incredible specimen of Chamaerops. I'm so jealous. I have noticed that there isnt always a great selection of "different" or "unique" palms in the local nurseries. I have a landscaper who I'm working with and I dont know if he can get some of these things or not? Ive been told that I need plant material hardy to zone 9a. I dont have a huge lot, so I have to be fairly particular. I have room for only about 3 specimens of palms w/ the other plant material I want to use. I'm very excited to get planting, but simply cant find the plant material.. I would be willing to take a day trip to any nurseries you all may suggest that may have different things.?? N

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Hi. I just moved into a new home in Arizona City in late April. I bought a Blue Hesper from a local nursery and planted it in my backyard.