Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Mid-Late July 2013 pics around the yard!

tropicalzone7
10 years ago

It's hard to believe that it's late July already. My plants still have a lot more growing to do but they are definitely getting there.

If you want to see more updates from my yard, check out my blog! http://tropicalsinzone7.blogspot.com

Here are some pics...

My Plumeria "Jenny" from Jungle Jacks is blooming like crazy. Some of the blooms are 5 inches in diameter. I've only had it for 3 weeks and it's already one of my favorites.

Here's a pic of my biggest plumeria. it has 2 inflorescences on it right now. The blooms are red and it seems to be pretty tolerant of cooler weather.

Different angle

My Calypso oleander survived the winter with just some frost cloths for protection. This is the first year that I did not put christmas lights around it to give it extra heat. There was some minor damage (mostly leaf drop to the older leaves, no die back). Now it's blooming more than ever.

When I redid the fence this spring (the old fence was unsalvageable after Sandy), the workers broke my thai black banana, but it has made a great recovery.

My Kopper King Hibiscus is a little late on blooming this summer for some reason (could be because of the cool spring we had), but it's got tons of buds and will be opening it's dinner plate sized blooms soon!

Birds love Spanish moss. This one used a bit of mine to make it's nest.

Front yard plants

A different view

Sabal Minor seeds on the way

Frostproof Gardenia had no protection and no damage this winter. Blooming a little less than usual because the tropicals are shading it out this year, but still doing well!

My Mediterranean fan palm never gives me any problems.

Philodendron (it will go indoors this winter)

My silver saw palmetto with some zinnias in the background.

Crape Myrtle blooms finally on the way. Most of the myrtles in the area are starting to bloom now. The white ones have been in bloom for a few weeks now.

Planted this planter in early April. It's seen some pretty chilly weather but the benefits of planting early have really shown. I don't think I've ever had coleus this big so early.

My rarely seen Queen palm. Still recovering from having all it's fronds burned off this spring.

Ribbon Palm that I plan on eventually trying in the ground. Got it at a Home depot in the Hamptons almost 2 years ago. They had a lot more variety than any of the local HD's here do.

Pygmy palm chilling under the spanish moss (hard to use the word "chilling" since it was 101F when I took these pics!)

Some of my other plumerias. My variegated plumeria (to the left) has never bloomed, but it is a cool novelty plant.

Desert Rose

Petunias adding color (one of the few annuals that bloom this well in such hot weather)

Bismarkia slowly dying. Not sure what happened at the nursery, but all of theirs have died already so I don't feel too guilty. I probably will not be bringing it indoors considering its condition and how heavy it is. My agave to the left and variegated rubber tree in the foreground are both doing well.

Disappointed in my Musa Saba this year. It's only made 3 leaves this season with a 4th on the way. It should be making a new leaf almost weekly in this kind of heat, right now it's making a new leaf every 2 weeks if I'm lucky!

Pool area

Butterfly ginger, Begonia, Staghorn fern, my largest trachy, my livistona, my 2 foxtail palms, a Colocasia, an Alocasia, some purple hearts (3rd summer in the ground for them) and a very hard to see silver Med fan palm are all in this pic.

My biggest hibiscus given to me as a very small plant from a friend in 2008. It looks kind of yellow in this pic because of the lighting, but is a healthy green in person.

Some new passion vines. First pic is a P. "Incense" and the second is a P. "Jennifer Grace". No blooms from either yet because my fig tree is shading them out a bit still.

Malayan Dwarf coconut palm that I got as a newly sprouted plant in June 2009. Needs a repotting pretty badly.

My Tall variety coconut I got as a sprout from Hawaii in August 2010. It's finally starting to make adult fronds. It also really needs to be repotted.

My biggest Elephant ear!

Ti plant with my Spindle, bottle palm, and mandevilla

My Monstera

Solitaire palm slowly recovering.

My favorite Hibiscus cultivator "Sunny wind".

Brugmansia finishing up it's first flush of blooms.

Thanks for looking!
-Alex

Comments (8)

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's a really nice collection you have. The plumerias make me want to get one.
    Really healthy looking sabal minor in the front yard. Looks pretty big.
    Are you sure that's a calypso oleander? I thought calypso was pink...
    The only crape myrtle I know of locally is also blooming. I would love to get one of them too if I could find one.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Islandbreeze! Plumerias are one of my favorite tropicals, I definitely recommend them.

And I think I am confusing the oleander in this pic with my pink one which is a Calypso. Thanks for catching that!

My home depot carries crape myrtles a lot lately so you can check yours and maybe you'll get lucky. They are great trees, I'm sure the hardier varieties would do well by you in a good spot.
    Crapes are really commonly sold here now, they are one of the few trees that can be grown as street trees in NYC (since you need to get your street trees approved before you plant them here) which I think is pretty cool since they are so synonymous with the south.

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• chicago_palm
    10 years ago

Wow. Everything looks Great! What size plumeria did you buy from Jungle Jacks? Those blooms are awesome! I really like the hibiscus also.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot Chicago palm! I got the 5 gallon one for $45 (not including shipping). I think it was definitely worth it to get the larger size. I got a 1 gallon plumeria and a 2 gallon plumeria also and they are very healthy (one even had blooms on it when it came), but I'm not expecting blooms like the ones on my "Jenny" for a few more years. I had to wait a while for them to get back to my emails, but it was worth the wait. I'll be ordering more from them next year.

-Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    10 years ago

Looks great! The leaves on the spindle palm look exactly like the bottle palm. They are both in the same Genus. My coleus are also very big, one is almost 4 feet tall.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot Dennis. 4 foot coleus already is really impressive! Bottle palms and spindle palms are definitely very similar. Only difference I noticed is Spindle palm fronds are a little more glossy than bottle palms, but you can definitely see why they are in the same genus!

-Alex

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very nice photos. Love the yard and variety of plants. I wouldn't feel too bad about your bismarkia. Mine isn't doing any thing. Not even sure if its still alive.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot Chadec! Sorry to hear about your Bismarkia too. They are beautiful palms, but since this is my second one I'm having a hard time with, I dont know if they are palms with growing up in the north! Mine is very slowly growing a new frond so hopefully it's a good sign.

-Alex