DSC05381

DSC05382

DSC05383

DSC05385

DSC05386

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palms in Central New Jersey

Is this is Palmyra (Camden County )? That would be South Jersey, if so.

o

I love to see the updates on these palms! They look so great! Im glad to see them doing well especially without being given special protection!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

great pics are the sabals palmettos?

o

If you look at a map it's actually central Jersey. South Jersey would be Atlantic City or Cape May. North Jersey would be Sussex, Newark, Jersey City. I don't mean to sound curt - it just looks like central to me lol. They are not sabal palmettos, they are: Needle Palms, Sabal Minors, and Trachycarpus Fortunei.

o

Well, can't vouch for Palmyra, but I'm in central coastal Jersey to be sure (southern Monmouth County). Here are just a few pics...

Had this cactus for awhile now. If someone could ID it, great. Believe it's ready to flower.
Photobucket

My Niagara grape vine doing very well this year...
Photobucket

Plumeria showing off...
Photobucket

And my windmill, referenced in an earlier post about the drooping fronds. The weight of all the snow this past Winter did them in some. Still debating if I should just prune or not. That fig tree to the left just gets bigger and thicker when I prune it...
Photobucket

o

Not curt at all. I grew up very nearby. Philly suburbs are considered South Jersey. Central is more like Trenton and Monmouth.

Great pix. Thanks for sharing.

o

Your trachy looks great. It looks better than the trachy up here in the Bronx. No prob wetsuiter.

o

People that don't know about cold hardy palms
(or even do)must be amazed to
drive by and see palms growing there! (-:

o

Did you see the trachy loaded with fruit? Here it is.
Photobucket

The palms at Palmyra Cove received their midsummer 10-10-10 fertilizer & epsom salts this week.

o

Nice! I can't believe that palms can grow in Jersey without protection. There's one here in the Bronx that is not protected and looks pretty bad. However, I think it does look bad because it's not against a wall (micro-climate). The one in Queens died because it was facing north and snow was piled on it as if it weren't even there. There's a small takil in the Bronx too that is not protected and is not in a micro-climate and is doing very well. I have pic on my other post (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/palms/msg012045404389.html)

o

I met the guy who planted and tends these palms at a garden party yesterday in Rehoboth Beach, Del. Several other palm enthusiasts were there including the hosts. Their 15' windmills were impressive. I'll post pics later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here